PDA

View Full Version : Any LCO's ever took any small engine courses?

jwcorbin
12-20-2004, 11:27 AM
Hello,
I was curious if any of you have ever took any small engine courses. I was thinking about possibly taking some starting in January [the off season].
Please respond and tell a little about your experience. Was you disappointed because it was too simple are was it very informative?

And if any of you that haven't taken any courses: If you had the oppurtunity and the time would you pursue this. Too save on some cost.

CamLand
12-20-2004, 11:29 AM
Yes I did about 20 years ago.It was educational at the time and the education has stayed in my head to this day...

out4now
12-20-2004, 12:01 PM
Never did but would just for the knowlege depending upon how it costs. I used to have small engine repair manuals long time ago and used them a couple of times when Briggs first started using aluminum blocks and had their wretched vertical start system (broke all time).

YardPro
12-20-2004, 01:32 PM
it's a really good idea

rodfather
12-20-2004, 01:42 PM
I can see the benefit, especially if I was trying to extend the life of some of my machines or save some $$$ by not going to my dealer. But for me personally, even though I am somewhat mechanically-minded, I would never take the time to break down a engine...2 reasons...

A. I am not qualified (maybe though after a course or two).
B. I can make more money doing what I know, than what I might possible save.

RedWingsDet
12-20-2004, 01:54 PM
at my school we have auto class and small engine repair. I took auto this year, and next year (my senior year), im taking Vocational Auto (2hour block), and Small Engine Repair, that way I dont have to pay those $$$ fees if I cant do something myself. Very useful!!!

I mine as well take advantage of the classes we have at our school before I have to pay for them!

Turf Medic
12-20-2004, 05:11 PM
My brother took a correspondence course a few years ago. Later started a fairly profitable small engine repair business. No longer with us, so I can't ask him which school, I just know that it worked out well for him.

Itsgottobegreen
12-21-2004, 05:43 PM
Yep I took a night course. Really worth the time and money.

shepoutside
12-21-2004, 06:03 PM
Yes, a few years ago. Has been a great asset for sure, as most maintenance can be down in house, and what needs to be sent out, with the knowledge, it's better to detect what's wrong, and also is great so you know what they Say, is wrong. The money saved in the off season, by doing your own maintenance, is Huge, as they say a dollar saved, is a dollar earned. I send all my employee's to at least the basic's course, as this is worth it too. They can tell what's wrong, and even do maintenance on site, rather than doing more damage. It's part of the business, and strongly suggest anyone to take a course. It's payup in your pocket if you do.

Travis Followell
12-21-2004, 06:42 PM
I took small engine repair in high school and i learned a whole lot. I also have had a lot of experience fooling with lawnmowers and learned a lot that way also. When I had small engines in high school I actually was so knowledgeable that I got a plaque at the FFA banquet and also a certificate which I have framed hanging on my wall. It would definitely be worth it for you to take a small engine courses IMO. You will save yourself quite a bit of $$ over the long run.

SodKing
12-21-2004, 06:45 PM
I often wonder if I am the president of my company or the mechanic.

HOOLIE
12-21-2004, 07:14 PM
I took one once, it was a one-day, 8-hour class. Not bad, but I learn a lot better from hands-on experience. Just listening to a guy ramble on for 8 hours wasn't as helpful as I had hoped.

Richard Martin
12-22-2004, 03:05 AM
These people offer an excellent pre-OPE certification course but it's not cheap and you won't get it done in 8 hours.

www.educationdirect.com