PDA

View Full Version : Customer sent me a bill

mikeswag
12-20-2004, 03:16 PM
Please help....this has never happened to me before.

I did a lawn renovation & irrigation system for a customer this past spring. The customer requested from the city to have a separate water meter installed. The city said 3 months. I told the customer to call me when it was installed & I would connect it to the new system.

I had nothing in my contract about connecting to the new system. I had intended on billing for the new connection. However, they had a plumber connect to the new irrigation system at a charge of 750.00. They sent me a bill and expect me to pay the bill.

What should I do?

I was thinking about just sending a copy of the contract and letting them know I would not pay. Any input would be great. Thanks, mike

ztoro
12-20-2004, 03:18 PM
send it back to them with a thanks, but no thanks......

should have contacted you before they sub your work out.... Just tell them you would have done it for half that cost to make em feel bad as well.....

Evan528
12-20-2004, 03:19 PM
Wow those people have some large balls! I would call them and tell them to go to hell! :realmad:

Mdirrigation
12-20-2004, 03:22 PM
I was thinking about just sending a copy of the contract and letting them know I would not pay. Any input would be great. Thanks, mike

The customer made a unilateral decision to have the plumber hook up the system, that was his decision and his decision to pay that price. Send him the copy and a letter stating that . I would say you are under no responsibility to reimburse him.

out4now
12-20-2004, 03:22 PM
Send copy of orignal contract. You said to contact you when the meter was installed right? Did they? Not apperently so why should you have to pay? I would also say that any of the work that did not pass your inspection is no longer covered under any warranty because they have modified your work before you could even finish it.

impactlandscaping
12-20-2004, 03:23 PM
IF you had nothing in writing about the new connection fee,or if /when it would be connected, don't sweat it.Technically, your contract was paid in full on completion, right? After payment was rendered , it is considered an agreement between both parties that the job was satisfactory and complete. They have no recourse against you for the $ 750.00, and you told them to let you know when the city had installed the meter, so they should have called instead of going over your head to a plumber. I would explain this to them, and if they can not accept the fact they are paying the bill, and not you, tell them you'll be happy to see them in court and discuss it in front of a magistrate.Just my .02...Merry Christmas!!

mikeswag
12-20-2004, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I take this stuff way to personally. :help:

How would you word your response?

beransfixitinc
12-20-2004, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I take this stuff way to personally. :help:

How would you word your response?

Please keep a watch out your window. When you see a camel fly by in the night, call me and I will send you the check.

impactlandscaping
12-20-2004, 04:03 PM
Please keep a watch out your window. When you see a camel fly by in the night, call me and I will send you the check.

LMAO!!! :p

out4now
12-20-2004, 04:13 PM

I love that! ROTFLMAO

Mo Green
12-20-2004, 04:18 PM
Yeah right..... you owe them.... hahahahaha. Some people never cease to amaze me. That takes some serious balls. Tell them the check will be in the mail the second tuesday of next week.

DennisF
12-20-2004, 04:21 PM
If the contract did not provide for connection to the water supply, then it is the customer who is responsible for that work. If you told the customer to call you for hook-up when the meter was installed and he took it upon himself to hire someone else to do the job, he has taken it upon himself to have the water supply connected. That makes him responsible for payment for that service...not you.

bobbygedd
12-20-2004, 04:33 PM
throw bill in garbage, don't waste phonecall, 4 get the whole thing

Envy Lawn Service
12-20-2004, 05:20 PM
Geez... $750 to connect to the new meter. Good grief!!! I don't get it.
Guess I need to increase my irrigation repair rates and make more money off the sub-out.

Anyways, yeah.... if a man wants to show me he has a pair.... well then I feel obligated to kick the s#it out of them. No I couldn't keep my mouth shut on this one. I'd have to speak my mind and believe me I would. You might need proof you contacted them to dispute the validity of the billing/debt anyways. In a lot of cases, if you don't dispute it you are automatically assuming resposibility....

the scaper
12-20-2004, 05:38 PM
I'd call him on the phone and tell him I'm not responcible for it, I would'nt give him anything additional in writting. If I heard anything else about it I'd have my attorney send him a farewell letter.

rodfather
12-20-2004, 06:59 PM
Personally, I wouldn't even waste my time acknowledging it with a phone call or letter. Period

Kelly's Landscaping
12-20-2004, 07:19 PM
No I would not pay them a dime but send them a Christmas card anyways just to piss them off.

dvmcmrhp52
12-20-2004, 07:23 PM
Personally, I wouldn't even waste my time acknowledging it with a phone call or letter. Period

What he said^.
Nice try,maybe you should send them a fruitcake for the holidays as well.................... :rolleyes:

mikeswag
12-20-2004, 07:38 PM
The hook-up was copper to pvc.

This customer was my most difficult all year. I will be glad for him to go away.

I am sending him, a copy of the contract, the bill and a letter stating the nature of our agreement.

Thanks for all of your advice. I visit this forum often. This is exactly why it is here....and to patronize the advertizers. BTW, I bought PRO Landscape last month, only buy Redmax small tools....all information I found using the SEARCH button on this page.

coastallandscapesolutions
12-20-2004, 08:30 PM
throw bill in garbage, don't waste phonecall, 4 get the whole thing

I agree. Maybe they think it's April 1st.....

geogunn
12-20-2004, 09:26 PM
I was thinking about just sending a copy of the contract and letting them know I would not pay.

mike--of course call them.

this could be a misunderstanding and you will not know until you call them.

it'll take 5 minutes to find out. call them and post a follow up for us.

GEO

i_plant_art
12-21-2004, 12:50 AM
i think ius postal service lost this one huh.... i would plead that you never got it.... wait for them to call you and then talk to them bout it .... its like what we do at some point and time if we want our money bad enough on a late payment we go calling.... play his gate wait for him to call tell him u never got it it must have got lost and ask him why the F u should pay for it talk it out tell him NO and then end conversation. let him take you to court. he dont stand a chance. even a verbal agreement is upheld and is considered a "contract" now a days. ... u have prof/reason as to why the system was never connected in the first place due to the fact the city said he needed another meter... system hook up to meter is STANDARD for irrigation install so therefore he should have called U back to jobsite once done to finish work. I think court would STRONGLY agree with you on this one he dont stand a chance.. like everyone else said forget about beside he could be sending you the bill just to see if he can scare you out of the 750 b/c he dont want to have to pay for .... he might not be doing nothing more than that trying to get 750 from you.... in his mind if you pay cool he got 750 if u dont .. no big deal.... let it go man... forget about him....

the scaper
12-21-2004, 01:03 AM
.......? ;)

out4now
12-21-2004, 01:04 AM
What he said^.
Nice try,maybe you should send them a fruitcake for the holidays as well.................... :rolleyes:
Why waste the money on the fruitcake?

richard coffman
12-21-2004, 01:09 AM
ther is nothing lilke speaking softly and have an attorney on your side like i do for scum like this. call the attorney tomorrow, fax over the letter you received and a copy of the contract. I'm sure the attorney will have this guy needing a new pair of shorts before the end of the day. I had a situation happen to me simular to this a few years back, called my attorney, and the next day the guy called me back asking that the whole situation be dropped.

Respectfully,

Richard/Owner :cool: :cool:

the scaper
12-21-2004, 01:15 AM
Why waste the money on the fruitcake?
How could money on a fruitcake be wasted? Those things are delicious :D

lawnyogi
03-28-2005, 11:32 AM
Mikeswag

What happened...?

Thanks.

yogi

mikeswag
03-28-2005, 01:38 PM
yogi,
I had my brother-in-law (Georgetown Law graduate) write an awesome letter. I sent it with the copy of our contract.

I have not heard back from him....doubt I will.

thx,mike

Teiman
03-28-2005, 02:08 PM
Forget the Lawyer. This is a small claims issue unless you are
a corp. In some states corps must bring a lawyer to small claims.

I think you would win in Small claims unless they can prove
you ingnored their attempts to contact you. Got any witnesses ?

You should contact them and try to explain your position
on the dispute. They might see it your way or at least
some sort of compromise might be considered by both of you.

If you ignor their position completely, You might loose by default.

Popper357
03-31-2005, 07:41 PM
So how did this turn out Mikeswag?

crawdad
03-31-2005, 09:47 PM
So how did this turn out Mikeswag?

Read post #28