PDA

View Full Version : Moving Service????

tinman
12-20-2004, 03:37 PM
Anyone here ever run a moving service or know someone who did??? Just tinkering with the idea on a small scale basis. I'd just like to know insurance costs, prices for moving, etc. I'm thinking about a basic service,,,(just loading up the packed boxes and furniture) No packing by us. Thanks

mtdman
12-20-2004, 03:41 PM
My dad did this professionally all his life. It's a sucky business, it's hard labor, and people are constantly filing claims for damages. I'd imagine insurance costs are outrageous. People generally want you to pack it, and if you don't you run the risk that people pack stuff poorly and are going to make claims against you.

out4now
12-20-2004, 03:48 PM
Seems like a lot of work for what movers get paid. How can they make a claim aginst you if THEY pack it? Newest thing I see are the PODS that get dropped off at your house you load it they take it. Also ABF trucking will drop a trailer in your driveway and you load it they haul it. I think they will sell you boxes and stuff. I think that is a great way to go but their trailers don't have lift gates.

mtdman
12-20-2004, 03:58 PM
Don't ask me. My dad wouldn't load anything that he didn't pack or wasn't packed by the company. The homeowners don't pack things correctly, and then complain when the movers break the stuff they packed. All I know is people were always making claims against him for bs stuff, and his insurance was outrageous.

out4now
12-20-2004, 04:04 PM
That's sad. The American legal system at work, "sigh".

tinman
12-20-2004, 04:17 PM
Don't ask me. My dad wouldn't load anything that he didn't pack or wasn't packed by the company. The homeowners don't pack things correctly, and then complain when the movers break the stuff they packed. All I know is people were always making claims against him for bs stuff, and his insurance was outrageous.

Any way to word a contract so that anything they pack is their responsibility??

geogunn
12-20-2004, 05:29 PM
I have considered delivering specialty items.......such as gunsafes.

it is very hard to do and you need some special tools like lift gates and stairs jacks.

just getting an estimate is a PIA.

very lucerative after your name gets out there.

GEO payup

mtdman
12-20-2004, 05:29 PM
Any way to word a contract so that anything they pack is their responsibility??
Ask a lawyer. I'd check into insurance before you start doing anything, first.

the scaper
12-20-2004, 06:18 PM
I have a friend who does this but he stays away from residential moving and only moves business's/ offices. He says residential is a pita with all the claims. Business's just want to get their stuff moved so they can just get on with their biz.

YardPro
12-20-2004, 06:18 PM
my brother had a packaging store ( like mailboxes etc.) in raleigh and tried branching out into the moving business.
it sucked, so he quickly dropped. as said earlier, lots of dammage claims, many were bogus. Long miles. He got in with RTP and was moving new hires from NY, NJ etc to raliegh and back.