PDA

View Full Version : what cuts better, walkbehinds or riders

Gmgbo
12-20-2004, 03:46 PM
from my expierance my 17hp 48" scag walk behind cuts better than an exmark 48" rider and a lesco 54". the two riders clump and the scag never does. the scag will multh the riders clumps. also the scag with a velky is just as fast and the exmark, but the leso does circles around both...so what do u guys like better? :cool2:

nitrotim
12-20-2004, 05:07 PM
Wright Stander

Richard Martin
12-20-2004, 05:21 PM
Dixie Chopper. Nobody does circles around me.

YardPro
12-20-2004, 06:21 PM
is the scag a fixed deck?

out4now
12-20-2004, 06:22 PM
Here comes about 25000 different answers. :rolleyes:

rodfather
12-20-2004, 06:32 PM
Either machine has its place...

...overall I prefer a WB because of its versatility and manueverablity. Stripes are great and almost all machines will produce them in some fashion. But I don't get all lathered up with whether a Z or a WB (no matter who makes them) does them better when my guys are mowing close to 300 acres a week.

Getting the job done is what I care about most. Period

DUSTYCEDAR
12-20-2004, 06:38 PM
rod u slave driver 300 a week

rodfather
12-20-2004, 06:43 PM
rod u slave driver 300 a week

...just like you Dusty, trying to make the Almighty dollar :D

Kelly's Landscaping
12-20-2004, 08:14 PM
I have lawns that stop the WB cold it can not cut the thick grass to save its life in fact I will be selling the 2 year old metro this spring. It has probably 150 hours on it. When I have very think wet lawns that are growing nearly a foot a week in the spring the ZTR is the only way to go. The choice is 5 hours on Campanaros lawn or less then 1 hour that is how big a difference the rider makes when the lawns are really growing. Horse power means more then most people think I do not know what the riders you spoke of had but it sounds like they did not pack the larger engine options. One of my ZTRs is a 44 with a 20 hp Kohler on it that little fella will out work just about anything. I have pulled my larger lazer out of 2 sinkholes this fall with the little guy.

Its all personal preference for me comfort matters and my hands do not go home sore at the end of the day unlike when I use to use WBs. As for top speed if I recall the scag is what 6.2 or 6.7 miles and hour the lazer hp you are describing is 8.5 miles and hour the difference is your unlikely to be cutting at top speed with a WB its quite uncomfortable you are on the other hand very likely to be cutting at the 8.5 miles and hour the lazer hp goes at. Especially since the Lazer XS can do 12 an hour so 8.5 does not seem that fast once you have seen the higher speeds. Hustler can go at 15 and hour.
Not sure what you are cutting and how many obstacles you have or what the inclines are like but on open ground the ZTR will easily out perform the WB. With a bagging system on obstacles they are virtually the same. The steep hills are the only real draw back to the rider anything over 25 degrees and it gets real nasty.

Gmgbo
12-20-2004, 08:20 PM
floating deck, and the exmark has an 18hp kolher and gator blades....i wouldnt suggest any1 to buy one

Turfdude
12-20-2004, 10:07 PM
...just like you Dusty, trying to make the Almighty dollar :D

Yeah, but Rod, his mattress is no where near as thick as yours payup :D :cool:

brucec32
01-01-2005, 12:51 PM
from my expierance my 17hp 48" scag walk behind cuts better than an exmark 48" rider and a lesco 54". the two riders clump and the scag never does. the scag will multh the riders clumps. also the scag with a velky is just as fast and the exmark, but the leso does circles around both...so what do u guys like better? :cool2:

The deck and power matter more than whether you are walking or sitting. In some conditions I found walk behinds left a nicer look, in others the ZTR.

Anyone who says an Exmark 48" rider (lazer hp 48" I assume) clumps and a scag never does hasn't mowed a lot of grass or has his mower set up wrong.

Anyone who says an Exmark won't mulch w/o clumping, other than in poor conditions, hasn't used an Exmark or hasn't set it up right.

Anyone who says a Scag wb with a velke is as fast as a ZTR, other than on small lots, is wrong.

Anyone who says a Lesco runs circles around either of the other is also wrong. Since when do old fashioned pistol grips, fixed decks, etc make a mower handle better?

25,000 lawnsite members now eh? I'd prefer the old days of quality over quantity. You should rename this place "startupsite.com" Nobody posting here lately seems to have cut much more than about 20 lawns.

rodfather
01-01-2005, 01:02 PM
Nobody posting here lately seems to have cut much more than about 20 lawns.

Really? And you do how many each week?

Pecker
01-01-2005, 02:44 PM
I've seen wb cut as nice as a ztr. I think it mostly depends on the equipment and type of turf.

65hoss
01-01-2005, 03:05 PM
Which cuts better? Both. It depends on the setup. Most people don't keep the machines fine-tuned to maximize cut quality and speed. Just like NASCAR at the beginning of a run to the end the car changes and needs tweeking. So to mowers that are running on hard ground and working in dust. Most of the time a w/b will stay in tune longer and they are easier and quicker to tune. But the rider is where my money is made. So I know it like the back of my hand and can keep it perfect quickly.

Itsgottobegreen
01-01-2005, 09:58 PM
Wright Stander

I like your answer