PDA

View Full Version : TRADE MY MOWER? YEAH RIGHT! READ THIS!

KB
01-25-2001, 04:56 PM
I have a 2000 Exmark 48" Turf Tracer HP hydro walk behind with only 100hrs(I cut part time), Velke, mulching kit, and 5 sets of blades (some never used) that I would like to sell or trade to buy a rider (Lazer). I have it posted on the Used Commercial Equipment page for $4000 and also have asked on this page what some of you felt was a fair price to ask. The responses have been in my favor but I was told that I should try to trade with my dealer and that he might trade favorably to make another sell. Yeah right. He told me over the phone that if it is in the condition that he would expect (like new), he would give me $2500 to try to sell quickly at about $2700. Bottom line is I won't be trading!

cutting edge
01-25-2001, 05:10 PM
Earlier this month I was considering downsizing my operation. I offered a commercial account to a friend in the business with the stipulation that she buy my Lazer HP. I saw one identical to mine with about the same hours on it at the exmark site for sale for 5999.99, so I tell her 5800.00. She asks our local dealer what it is worth and he tells her 4000.00. Go figure.

watatrp
01-25-2001, 05:11 PM
Kind of like trading a car in isn't it? I've learned not to deal with my dealer like that. Try people you know in the business or sometimes even your dealer may steer someone your way.

Greenkeepers
01-25-2001, 05:25 PM
Yeah right he's only going to sell it for $200 profit. Tell him to stuff his 2500....... That's worth much more than that out on the street.. Offer him 2000 less than he's asking for one of his showroom machines and see what he says. I love how dealers are when you're buying, they say don't tell me that xyz can sell it to you for that, I'm only making $25 on it. Then when you try to "sell" back to them they play games........

Thats B-S

Mitchell L Evans
01-30-2001, 02:29 AM
I agree with the greenkeeper it's always worth gold when it's on his showroom but as soon as it leaves you'll never get him to trade or buy unless it has $$$$$ attached to it.you'll come out better selling to a individual I have the same problem with my dealers.

Acute Cut
01-30-2001, 05:28 AM
i might as well be in the minority. My dealer as become one of my best friends. Heck, i have even had them over for BBQ. They sold one of my mowers for 350 more than what i was asking. He didnt take any off the top either. he knows that now i have some extra $$$ to buy that lazer this year. (Hopefully)

The other side of that is this. I cant (wont) buy the same machine any where else because it is a loyalty thing i believe. If i could buy it for 1000 less i might save short term. My dealer saves me that much every year with freebee mech stuff and SUPER maint on my epuip for me.

I have talked to some lawnsite guys and they envy me my dealer. Heck, some have even come here and met him and spoke only the best of him. I got lucky and i know it.

(just in case they read this at the shop) Thanks Carl and Josh.

Acute Cut

tlcgrounds
01-30-2001, 10:18 AM
Dear KB,
Here is a diffrent way of looking at your situation. If you claim any income off your mowing you can claim all expenses too. If you think the value of the machine is $4,000.00 and you can't get a bite then sell it for say $3,500.00 and claim a loss. You would be beter because in the long run you'll get your lost $500 through tax credits. Maybe it's time you look for another dealer. I just recently bought a 1998 Turf Tracer 60" with only 200 ours on it and a rocket wheels for $3,350.00. Have you ever considered putting a bigger deck on your unit and using it another year? Maybe you'll just have to eat this one. Remeber, if you sell it for less you can take a loss on it. If you have only owned for one year. You can trade it in and if your dealer gives you $2,500.00 and you paid $4,500 at the begingng of the year you'll depreciate $2,000.00 of the value and thats two grand of income you won't have to pay taxes on! There more than one way to get your moneys worth!!!!

Strawbridge Lawn
01-30-2001, 10:19 AM
All about greed sometimes. Ya they could sell it for close to what you are asking but they won't make $. So they ensure a 1K profit or more on a machine by stating such a low trade in price. Sounds to me like they get what they want more times than not.

lawman
01-30-2001, 10:35 AM
It looks to be just like a car the dealer always wins.

Greenman2ooo
01-30-2001, 10:55 AM
Maybe Ed from Turfquip.com will ante up? See how much he offers for the machine. Sounds like he is trying to generate new business. Maybe he will give you a good price.

BUSHMASTER
02-01-2001, 11:35 PM
I know everone looks at things differently than some but hear it is ... regarless of your thoughts on the operation or use of owning a walker mower...but from what i listening to here is that walker ..and this is true with most dealers.
and owners on trade in's walkers have a more realistc trade in a resale numbers if you trade or sell within 3 years...after that it probally would run about 1500 -3500 on average a walker or any mower is an investment so look at your return......just my thoughts. it fitsthe major majority of my turff .

Greenman2ooo
02-02-2001, 12:45 AM
KB-

Let us know how everything turned out. Like I said before, Ed may make you an offer you can't refuse. Please be kind enough to share your experience with us.