PDA

View Full Version : gear box maintenance

1MajorTom
12-20-2004, 08:48 PM
For those of you that have belt drive walkbehinds........
Do you replace your gear box grease yearly? If you do, do you stay with peerless grease... Or... do you remove the existing grease, install a zerk fitting in the housing and just go with regular grease? Then you can add a couple pumps weekly.

Matt

Green Care
12-20-2004, 09:00 PM
No I just add a couple of pumps I only use my 32 once a week for a hour so it don't need much.

captaingreen
12-20-2004, 09:11 PM
I take it apart in the winter, clean it out, and repack with Bentonite grease.

Turfdude
12-20-2004, 10:05 PM
I take it apart in the winter, clean it out, and repack with Bentonite grease.

This is the proper way to do it!

bobbygedd
12-20-2004, 10:06 PM
what do you mean by grease?

Ol'time Lawncare
12-20-2004, 10:20 PM
Im lost with this thread. i use 90 weight oil in my gear box and i just rebuilt it this summer!

Ol'time Lawncare
12-20-2004, 10:32 PM
......so are we talking grease or oil???

jim dailey
12-20-2004, 10:43 PM
what do you mean by grease?

Booby; go to the shop and ask for BENTONITE GREASE, and read the label...

bobbygedd
12-20-2004, 10:49 PM
i didn't know you had to put grease in those things

jim dailey
12-20-2004, 10:54 PM
i didn't know you had to put grease in those things

Why doesn't this surprise me...OH, by the way, I had to close the Florida Gate again for awhile. Will let you know when it is open, again.

TGIB
12-21-2004, 12:25 AM
Gear boxes that have heavy solid grease in them like the bentonite grease used in a lot of Peerless gearboxes don'T need to be cleaned out and refilled annually. They also do not need a shot of grease added every few weeks !

The grease should NOT completely fill the space inside the gear case. You need some air space above the grease. Petroleum lubricants all expand as they warm up. If you fill the gear case to the top, the grease will ooze out through the shaft seals , and even through the case gasket from the internal pressure. You need "head space" to let it expand without pressure. This pressure can actually blow a seal out.

A gear box that is full to the brim will also have rolling resistance for the gears and will rob away some of your horsepower. If you fill a gear box to the top with grease, try turning the input shaft by hand. You will be surprised at how hard it is to turn over when it is overfilled with grease like this.

If you have a check plug on the gear case, or a removable service plate, a once a year inspection and small addition of grease should be all that is needed to maintain a GREASE loaded gear box. If the factory did not put a grease zerk on the gear box , then you shouldn't either.

Over greasing and it's attendant damage to seals and gaskets is very common by people that want to take very good care of their equipment - but get just the opposite result from this mistake.

Ol'time Lawncare
12-21-2004, 01:25 AM
THANKS TGIB for the info.That had me worried cause i just rebuild mine this summer.my eXmark is with out a grease zerk. oil only . thanks again.

YardPro
12-21-2004, 02:31 AM
i install a zert and pupm away. i'm getting 6-8 years from a gearbox.

Richard Martin
12-21-2004, 05:51 AM
Like TBIG said, you really don't need to do any service to a Peerless gearbox. The only time I would even bother to check the grease is if there was an exceptional amount of grease leaking out or if the tranny was submerged under water.

I know on no Peerless trannys that take oil. They all use Bentonite grease.

captaingreen
12-21-2004, 09:50 AM
This is from my Exmark Manual on a 36" 2000 Metro- "Check grease level, input and output shaft bearing wear on Peerless Transmission. (Replace gear box grease yearly). Service interval: 150 hours."

s and s mowing
12-21-2004, 09:56 AM
fellows,my owners manual says same thing,alot of info on here is (not) the right info.i had heard opti 2 till on here till i finally thought it was gold,well i got a 500.00 lesson.