PDA

View Full Version : helper screwed me

Gus
05-20-2000, 09:50 PM
I know this isn`t a new thing for you guys but my "helper" decided to leave a note taped to my truck that he couldn`t work today. Still did 28 lawns today without him plus I don`t have to pay him! The best part is the next time he shows up I get the pleasure of putting my boot up his rump.......

AB Lawn Care
05-20-2000, 11:06 PM
Don't kick him too hard!You don't want to pay to have you boot removed from his butt buy a team of doctors!LOL!!!<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

HOMER
05-21-2000, 01:32 AM
Ya, I did 145 right by myself.............uh huh!<p>Homer

southside
05-21-2000, 04:23 AM
I would kick his arse so hard,my foot would<br>touch his heart.Seriously,I would fire him<br>immediately and find someone else.<p>Karl<br>

jrblawncare
05-21-2000, 05:45 AM
Don't feel bad,The guy I hired part time to help with installs did not call or show his very first day....I had a long day with some real big B&B stock.<p>----------<br>John <br>

Bobby
05-21-2000, 08:20 AM
This is the main reason I work alone. You get busy , then they dont show up. It's ok if you are doing pits, but the higher quality type work requires that you be at least near on time.

nlminc
05-21-2000, 09:45 AM
When the economy sinks a bit and the shelter lines are stretching around the corner he will be back happy to have a job.<p>I have found that older workers are more reliable and harder workers than the young ones. Why? Because they've been in and out of tough times and grew up working hard. Todays young people have never had to. They are a part of the gimmie society. They want it right now, as fast as possible and with as little effort as possible.<p><br>Chris

Gus
05-21-2000, 10:17 AM
It`s usually just me and the wife but this kids been bugging me for a job so I thought I`d give him a try. I`ve cut by myself a lot <br>and actually prefer it.

garbage man
05-21-2000, 10:51 AM
I usually work alone but my son has decided that he needs some extra money this summer to buy a car (gets his license this year) and wants to help,, seems that he only wants to help when he is broke, so I only pay him a little at a time. this way he stays broke most of the time and works more. I save the extra back for his car he wants to buy.<p>I like working alone cause it gives me time to ponder the secrets of life....

Nilsson Associates
05-21-2000, 11:05 AM
Maybe employee loyalty is tied to employees not getting a fair shake. What does an employee owe you if you don't pay time and one half pay, or &quot;kick into&quot; the tax fund?<br>That's if you don't of course. Plus do you throw the people away at the end of the season? Ask yourself what's in it for them, not just what's in it for you.<p>Phil Nilsson

nlminc
05-21-2000, 11:53 AM
Phil, This is what I offer my employees. $11.00/hr to start with time and a half after 40. These people are just asked to perform lawn maintenance tasks and lite landscape work. I run Dixie Choppers and a Walker rider, so life isn't bad. They also get 6 paid holidays, 1 week vac. 401k, health ins. one paid holiday per month if they show up ontime every workday for a month. A weeks uniform which includes shirts, sweatshirts, jacket,hats and a leatherman. Payed &quot;fieldtrips&quot; to seminars and trade shows. Employee trips to see the Red Sox and or Boston Bruins during the season. What else should I be offering? Three times this season I have had employees leave because they had gone back to their last employer or to another one and said this is what I'm being paid now can you beat it. I had one guy tell his last employer I was paying him $14/hr, one month later he goes home for the weekend and on Monday he is working for his former employer for more that $14/hr not even a phone call from him, just a no show. These people are lacking something. A lot of which has got to do with the economy and the way in which they were brought up.<p>Chris

Charles
05-21-2000, 12:05 PM
i agree with Homer lol. 28 yards in one day??? How small are these yards? How close are they together? Even with a helper.... What you running a 90&quot; mower? hehe. We all agreed in an earlier post that 8 to 12 yards a day was average for a one man operation. depending on size.

HOMER
05-21-2000, 12:17 PM
My wife and I busted our tails the other day to get 11! I couldn't have done them by myself and for d---- sure couldn't have gotten 28!!!!!!!!Give us a break on the inflated #'s.........I don't think any of us are that shallow.<p>Homer

Gus
05-21-2000, 12:44 PM
These were all small residentials which is all I do. First cut was at 7:00 a.m. last was<br>done at 8:30. Didn`t edge to save time and I`ll grant you they all weren`t perfect.

AGG Lawn Maintenance
05-21-2000, 12:52 PM
Hey Chris you need help!!! Life is good for your guys huh? LoL I buy my guys lunch everyday and sometimes breakfast. Redsoxs games? Maybe I'm start doing the trip thing sounds pretty cool. Is it a tax write off?<br>LoL Travis AG&G Lawn Maintenance :)<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: AGG Lawn Maintenance

mountainviewland
05-21-2000, 12:57 PM
Chris <br> Its too bad I own my own company or else I'd come work for you. Free bruins games I'd kill for that.<p>----------<br>Steve<br>Mountain View Landscaping

HOMER
05-21-2000, 12:58 PM
Chris, how many accounts do you have? You must be doing something right...........share the knowledge man. When I worked for the man, I got a check on payday, thats not to say thats all I wanted out of the 16 years I was there, but it was all you got. Nobody treated anybody with that many perks, and unless your CEO somewhere or Pres. you won't be. An employee, unfortunately, is a tool in which to accomplish a task. If he isn't abused, injured or harrassed he is being treated as just that, a tool.<p>Homer

Bobby
05-21-2000, 02:51 PM
Hey Garbage man. Secrets of life? Heres one.Enjoy being with him while you can. <p>----------<br>Bobby <br>Ft Lauderdale

Nilsson Associates
05-21-2000, 03:35 PM
Employee thing ... they work for money, not glory. Problem is (probably can't be solved) is pricing. Industry prices low, can't afford to pay top wages for hard, dirty work, so takes what it can get from the labor pool, which you all say isn't much ... but what if you could afford to pay $20 or $25 an hour ... what would you expect then?<br>To do that you need much higher pricing, so high that current employees don't leave to go into bizz for themselves. But, every company is looking for help right now, so we see about 1,000 new starts per month in the US for folks willing to work hard ... for themselves, not a another landscaping company<br>and can you blame them?<p>P.S. forgot to mention, they say by the year 2000, which is right now of course, that 40% ... that's 40% of all workers needed to do the landscape work MUST come from minority sources, hispanic work pool because there just aren't enough &quot;other people&quot; alive to do the work. In other words it's not just that people don't want to work hard, it's that they &quot;ain't&quot; on earth right now in the numbers needed as a supply of workers .. plus everybody is looking for help .. they say it's going to get a whole lot worse in the next 5 to 10 years ... the population is aging, the average age of workers is rising (don't know the statistics) but I do know that there are a lot more one man outfits around because of all that.<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: Nilsson Associates

steven Bousquet
05-21-2000, 04:08 PM
people leave for many reasons. This is hard work and i've had many leave and go to lower paying jobs because the other job was easier on them. and i don't mean just labors. the spring rush beats up salesman,designers and foreman. the long hours and the lack of family time is tough. the labors leave to to find easy lower paying jobs. we had all the 401k, med benefits and most would rather have the money in the check,tough to pay rent with benefits. so what do you do? create a fun place to work with nice trucks,great equipment ? they still leave! <br> you have to design a business that can grow and thrive with high turnover, read the E-Myth. this is the only thing that seems to work . its not just this business, study disney world, macdonalds, football teams etc. you must build a system that can run with turnover. if you find out how to keep people let me know.we are currently working on a few things, have to see how they work out in the long term. you have to do marketing to get good peolpe. beside help wanted ads. good luck

nlminc
05-22-2000, 09:39 PM
Homer, We have 45 res. accounts 2 condos and 1 school system that we maintain. We service all of them from Wed-Fri weather depending. We also have approx. 10-15 misc. landscape customers that need work done during the season. I usually only hire 1.5-2 employees per season. This year I'm only going with one person besides myself because I've come to terms that good employees are almost impossible to find. I have very high standards that I expect from my employees and my customers expect the same from me. <br>Phil made a point that employees only want the job with the most pay. That may be the case with most. I look for the people who want a stress free work place, perks and pretty good pay for the work that is asked of them. I offer better pay than most companies in my area that don't even over bennies. People will not perform well for you just because you pay them better, you also have to treat them with respect. <p>Chris

lawrence stone
05-22-2000, 10:04 PM
chris wrote:<p>&gt;People will not perform well for you just because you pay them better<p>The more you pay the less work you will get<br>in return.

nlminc
05-22-2000, 10:13 PM
I learned that the hard way last season Lawrence.