PDA

View Full Version : planting in winter?

bobbygedd
12-20-2004, 11:33 PM
can you plant in winter. i say you can, and in fact i did, just yesterday.

1MajorTom
12-20-2004, 11:38 PM
I believe when planting azaleas in cold climates early spring transplanting is recommended... that's the best time to transplant those.
In cold climates they should be planted before winter to keep the roots from dying from extremely cold temperatures. Anyone else agree with this?
btw Gedd, I been meaning to ask you: Where did you find azaleas this time of year?? ;)

jwholden
12-20-2004, 11:54 PM
What did you plant?

B & B or Container?

When was it dug?

How is this winter going to be, mild or cold?

To answer your question, sometimes yes and sometimes no. Mother nature will let you know next spring. I hope they weren't arborvitae or purple leaf plums.

Drew Gemma
12-21-2004, 12:07 AM
At the golf course we planted everythign in the frezing winter. and it always worked. I used to laugh sometimes the b/b trees would freeze up out of th eground and we would have to replant them. Those drunks would get in a hurry and toward the end of the day they would dig shallow holes. They always fixed it. But hell yeah plant it all cold or not. If they'll pay you then I say do it.

Olylawnboy
12-21-2004, 12:07 AM
Come on man, can you plant what?....

bobbygedd
12-21-2004, 12:11 AM
yews, liriope, azealeas

Olylawnboy
12-21-2004, 12:27 AM
You really mean transplant right Bobby? As there is quite a rigimarol to planting Yew and azealeas from seeds, don't even know what that other one was, at least in th NW. Jap Maples are quite an ordeal to plant from seed too but can be done, not that that helps ya....

KCLandscape
12-21-2004, 01:58 AM
who mentioned seeds? I plant as long as the ground is not frozen...

fga
12-21-2004, 08:57 AM
who mentioned seeds? I plant as long as the ground is not frozen...
same here... i have a ice little job coming up in January. about 15 5 gallon plants and a Blue atlas cedar.. a nice one that's all twisted.

Bob,
the only draw back i've had with planting this late is finding decent stock at a nursery, and the way deciduous plants look after planting. like an exspensive red maple doesn't look so elegant in February.

I also have trim jobs lined up for january.

bobbygedd
12-21-2004, 09:06 AM
adam, i have a wholesale nursery that has top rate stuff, at rock bottom prices, oper all year round. just incase you're interested. his stuff is always nice

fga
12-21-2004, 09:15 AM
adam, i have a wholesale nursery that has top rate stuff, at rock bottom prices, oper all year round. just incase you're interested. his stuff is always nice
defintiely email his location and name, cuz my "go to" guys really did me wrong this year. each season, more and more of the guys here start going to NJ for their plants. buy 2 jobs at a time to make even more convientient. you think the nurseries here would realize it. i guess that's why they have to keep dramaitcally raising their prices.
but the christmas tree fiasco was the icing on the cake. email me when you get a chance. thanks.

ztoro
12-21-2004, 09:47 AM
can you plant in winter. i say you can, and in fact i did, just yesterday.

it was like 15 degrees in NJ yesterday... you should be roasting chestnuts on an open fire...

Speaking of nuts

What do you call nuts on the wall? Walnuts
What do you call nuts on a chest? Chestnuts
What do you call nuts on a chin ? BJ

ztoro
12-21-2004, 09:50 AM

Is it in Somerset Bobby?

bobbygedd
12-21-2004, 10:37 AM
Is it in Somerset Bobby?
no, not somerset. you familiar with somerset? you know the featherstons?