PDA

View Full Version : Friend bought a Prowler front cut!

Green King
12-21-2004, 10:30 AM
I was visiting a friend of mine and he wanted to show me his new toy! I knew he had been looking for a new mower to replace his old Zipper front cut. He told me he had tried every front cut he could find and setteld on an Encore! After looking the machine over I was suprised at how smooth the machine was! It impressed me on the leaves it chewed up. I just found it interesting about this machine! It seems to be a good alternative to the Woods and Hopper machines around here!

WREBELMACHINE
12-21-2004, 06:24 PM
I saw those front cuts very tough built looking machine! I do not use front cut mowers anymore but if I was I would certainly look at one with the diesel engine on it!

Travis Followell
12-21-2004, 07:58 PM
Encore's apperar to be built pretty good. It seems like thats a brand that a lot of people overlook for some reason. Maybe their dealers aren't any good or atleast thats the case around here.

packerbacker
12-21-2004, 08:14 PM
I run encore WBs and i like them. VERY EASY to work on in the field and reasonably priced.

Just some info here, the same guy who helped founded EXMARK and was a major helper in KEES mowers also founded ENOCRE

Green King
09-07-2005, 10:20 PM
Just a little update! My buddy has just under 400hrs. on the Encore and has only had one flat on the machine as far as breakdowns! Pretty Good and he still seems very happy!

Travis Followell
09-08-2005, 07:20 PM
What engine is on it?

Green King
09-11-2005, 11:20 AM
27hp water cooled kawasaki!

joe2106
09-14-2005, 04:02 PM
I have a 33 horse Encore that has been a complete disappointment. I have tried to return it numerous times with no success. Here are my problems and I'm sure I have forgotten some: ( By the way the machine has 150 hours and is 3 months old)
1. Deck sags which produces an uneven cut even to the untrained eye--has been "corrected" atleast 3 times-no luck
2. Electric lift for deck drifts sometimes inches at a time
3. Parking brake is completely worthless--almost rolled off a bobcat trailer only to be saved by the ramps that are folded up-I wish it would have rolled off, however.
4. Some Hyrdo sensor went bad on a 1 million sq ft mowing job making the mower paralized only to have to get a bobcat the load the SOB up with while the exmark picks up the slack.
5. Rides rougher than a bronco even with the suspension seat
6. Doesn't discharge grass other than in huge piles
7. Leaves stripes of uncut grass at any speed with even the sharpest blades
8. Leaks oil from the engine and also the hydro tank
9. Seat sensor repeatly has gone bad requiring the operator to bounce the keep the machine running
10.Shocks on the control levers have broken at least 4 times
11. Doesn't pick up grass at all basically with the blower/vac system

I hate this machine and they (Encore the actual factory I bought it from)won't take it back, what do you guys suggest? I will never buy anything with Encore for a name and will try to let everyone know about this. I just don't understand how swome people just love these machines. Did I just get a lemon or what? All it has to do is not break and cut grass--the exmark machines don't seem to have a problem.

Any suggestions?
Joe

Travis Followell
09-14-2005, 08:33 PM
I have a 33 horse Encore that has been a complete disappointment. I have tried to return it numerous times with no success. Here are my problems and I'm sure I have forgotten some: ( By the way the machine has 150 hours and is 3 months old)
1. Deck sags which produces an uneven cut even to the untrained eye--has been "corrected" atleast 3 times-no luck
2. Electric lift for deck drifts sometimes inches at a time
3. Parking brake is completely worthless--almost rolled off a bobcat trailer only to be saved by the ramps that are folded up-I wish it would have rolled off, however.
4. Some Hyrdo sensor went bad on a 1 million sq ft mowing job making the mower paralized only to have to get a bobcat the load the SOB up with while the exmark picks up the slack.
5. Rides rougher than a bronco even with the suspension seat
6. Doesn't discharge grass other than in huge piles
7. Leaves stripes of uncut grass at any speed with even the sharpest blades
8. Leaks oil from the engine and also the hydro tank
9. Seat sensor repeatly has gone bad requiring the operator to bounce the keep the machine running
10.Shocks on the control levers have broken at least 4 times
11. Doesn't pick up grass at all basically with the blower/vac system

I hate this machine and they (Encore the actual factory I bought it from)won't take it back, what do you guys suggest? I will never buy anything with Encore for a name and will try to let everyone know about this. I just don't understand how swome people just love these machines. Did I just get a lemon or what? All it has to do is not break and cut grass--the exmark machines don't seem to have a problem.

Any suggestions?
Joe
Is it a front mount or a mid mount?

iluvscag
09-14-2005, 10:56 PM
The prowler is a Mid-Mount. :)

joe2106
09-15-2005, 01:41 AM
It is a midmount. After a demo on an exmark xs, the prowler is so far behind it can't even see the leader. I am so disappointed in this purchase. I would feel guilty even selling it to someone knowing all the problems.

Green King
09-16-2005, 08:40 PM
I am sorry to hear about your trouble with your prowler. I have a partner who runs a prowler mid mount 72" with a l/c kawasaki. I have run it and I like the machine it sure runs good and as far as ride it is better in stripping than any of the machines that I have owned. I do know that he did have trouble with his electric deck lift, but the dealer traded him out of it for a hand lift unit, and added some anti-scalp rollers on the machine. I do know he is selling off his other machines and planning on buying another Prowler but this time he is going diesel.

Green King
09-16-2005, 08:49 PM
I am sorry to hear about your trouble with your prowler. I have a partner who runs a prowler mid mount 72" with a l/c kawasaki. I have run it and I like the machine it sure runs good and as far as ride it is better in stripping than any of the machines that I have owned. I do know that he did have trouble with his electric deck lift, but the dealer traded him out of it for a hand lift unit, and added some anti-scalp rollers on the machine. I do know he is selling off his other machines and planning on buying another Prowler but this time he is going diesel.

joe2106
09-17-2005, 07:57 AM
This is what I keep hearing is the prowler is great. You think you would want to take a problem machine like this back to see what went wrong and not get a bad name out for yourself. It is like buying a bobcat that can't dig. The mower just doesn't work, in fact it just sits most of the time unless we are mowing fields that it doesn't matter if they are perfect. (but it should be)

I am convinced that the machine is a total loss and it will not cut grass. They should call it the Encore grass folding machine b/c the grass just stands right up after you "mow" it off.

Joe

Travis Followell
09-17-2005, 07:51 PM
Sorry to hear about all your Encore problems. I think they are essentially good machines and you just got a lemon but they should give you your money back or atleast give you another one. Thats not good business at all. Call them and demand to talk to the owner and tell them that you have posted all your problems on a public lawn forum with 32,000 members.

Green King
09-18-2005, 10:11 PM
I agree with travis! In this area the prowler mid cuts are getting more popular again mainly because of a very good dealer! Whoever I would talk to them or at least go to the factory since you are in the same town were they are built. Surely if you can show them that it is not doing its job they should work with you on either fixing your machine or another machine. I know you can get a bad machine in any brand from time to time! Good Luck!

joe2106
09-19-2005, 08:46 AM
We have tried to take it back and nothing is wrong with it they say. Several customers of ours have asked what happens to their yards some weeks (the week the encore cuts it) and it looks great others (exmark). Everything is level w/ the exmark where the encore is like it is cutting speedbumps.

The next step is to contact the president--I hope he does something, if not I think legal action is the only other choice in my opinion.

Travis Followell
09-19-2005, 08:20 PM
Yea, if the president does nothing then legal action will be your only choice. Again, good luck and be sure to keep us updated on what happens.

Green King
09-21-2005, 10:04 AM
You might want to talk to the founder, although he steped down as president he is still on the board!

WoodBrothersLC
09-21-2005, 12:49 PM
I run encore WBs and i like them. VERY EASY to work on in the field and reasonably priced.

Just some info here, the same guy who helped founded EXMARK and was a major helper in KEES mowers also founded ENOCRE

You couln't have said it any better. They are very reliable machines that cut well, are easy to maintain, and are priced right. They have helped us bring in the payup for almost 5 years now.

joe2106
09-21-2005, 03:37 PM
I have yet to resolve this, but hopefully by weekend. I have an Encore walkbehind and loved it until I just got an exmark one. I'm pretty much done with encore the way I look at it. They are cheaper, but not enough for me.

WREBELMACHINE
10-02-2005, 09:14 PM
This is an interesting post to read! I have demoed this same 33hp machine and was very impressed with it! However I am dealing with a dealer who is a mower genius! Some of the modifications that he made are the following. He did away with the electric lift for a foot operated lift! From what I understand encore is going to start doing this on the 72" machines. Ground speed was increased to around 14mph! Not sure how he did this but it is fast! Hydro cooler. And a extra oil filter for the engine. He did something else to the mower deck but I can't remember what it was! I had no issues at all with the cut! and the ride was very very good! My only thing I did not like was the fuel economy, but I have been using diesel mowers. I do know he has been working with encore to get a more powerful diesel engine as well as some other stuff. If he or they being encore gets a larger diesel I would not hesitate to buy one from this guy! If encore can't fix your problem I would have them talk to this dealer about some of the mod's he has done. They probably have been informed already but just have not applied them to your machine! Good luck!

Mowingman
10-02-2005, 10:20 PM
Does your state have a lemon law? Sounds like you have a good case under the typical lemon law.
As a dealer, (not for Encore), I am always trying to decide what brand/s we should consider carrying in our store. I do not want to carry a brand that is not going to be in business a few years down the road. I believe the market is oversaturated with ZTR manufacturers, and probably 1/4 - 1/3 of them will be gone 5 or 6 years from now. Encore is very high on my list of those who will not survive. A sure sign is the agreement they have made to build gear-drive walkbehinds for Hustler. This is a red flag, as it tells you they have an excess of manufacturing capacity. This excess capacity must be because they have very poor sales of their own brand machines. now, if they were adding new manufacturing buildings at the plant to handle this new contract, that would be different. But, I have not heard anything about a plant expansion at Encore. I believe they are just barely holding their own., as on my travels across the country, i never see Encore machines on anyone's trailers.
I might be all wrong, but I think the signs of trouble are showing.

joe2106
10-21-2005, 10:43 PM
Tonight we met with the head of customer service for Encore and I, along with my partner, were very impressed with his determination, level of service in the field, and overall knowledge of the product. After being in the factory for repairs, I can honestly say that it cut the best that it has ever cut--probably even better than brand new. We were both very down on the machine after problems that I thought were "unfixable", however the quality of the cut based on the speed the machine travels was up to both of our expectations tonight.

I think that Encore really must care about the machines they put out to send out the head of customer service after hours to check out how the machine works. I feel that we both are extremely perticular about quality of cut and the machines, and the machine did meet our expectations after the adjustments were made.

As of now, I am content with the machine and feel that it can be a productive piece of equipment for us.

Mowingman
10-21-2005, 11:52 PM
Does not seem like very good customer service to me. You first posted about this on 9/14, so it took them at least 5 weeks to get around to helping you. I assume the problems started well before your post. Since you are right where they build them, how much effort does it take to for them to drive a couple of miles to look at your problem. Just think how long it would have taken someone in , say, North Carolina, or Texas to get the problem resolved, if they ever could.

davidcalhoun
10-22-2005, 12:10 AM
On Encore's web site, they list 2 configurations for the Prowler line up: Front-mounted and mid-mounted.

The front mounted Prowler does look similar to the Grasshopper front mount or the Woods Mow'N Machine front mount. I think Snapper still has a front mount mower also.

Speaking of Woods, I hear that they will have Encore build their new front mount power/drive units to their specifications (This new mower will replace the "F" series). Woods will still use their own MX decks on this Encore power/drive unit to complete the mower.

Green King
10-23-2005, 06:21 AM
glad to hear they fixed you up! Encore is getting stronger in the market here because of good service! unlike some of the other brands.

Mowingman
10-23-2005, 09:00 AM
The info about Encore building for Woods is interesting. I think it reinforces my thoughts that Encore is in trouble. They have a plant that they can not keep busy due to very poor sales of Encore machines. Fisrt they take on a contract to built their walkbehinds for Hustler, now they will begin building mowers for Woods. All this contract work is what MAY keep them in business.
Without it, I believe the end is in sight for Encore, and it may still be, as an independent brand.

joe2106
10-23-2005, 09:27 AM
It took a while to correct but I have to be somewhat to blame b/c we haven't had time to take the machine in or have a field test.

Travis Followell
10-23-2005, 09:32 AM
Joe, Glad to hear you got your problems worked out.

Mowingman, I think your right. There's a dealer around here but he probibly don't sell one Encore machine a year. I'd say Encore is just barely hanging on.

Green King
10-25-2005, 01:01 AM
Just food for thought but bobcat is building the mid mount mowers for woods. Does this mean bobcat is in trouble?

Travis Followell
10-25-2005, 09:08 PM
Just food for thought but bobcat is building the mid mount mowers for woods. Does this mean bobcat is in trouble?
Is Bob Cat building all the 2005 mid mount Woods machines or just some of them or do you know?

The reason I ask is because up until now the mid mounts were made by Gravely. We have a Woods 2560 and its almost identical to a 260Z Gravely.

Green King
10-26-2005, 10:20 AM
That I do not know. I just know that in the past grasshopper made machines for woods. And there have been several other private labeled machines built for others like snapper and bushhog.