PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Have a Greenhouse?

coastallandscapesolutions
12-21-2004, 10:25 AM
Just wondering if anyone had a greenhouse and what all they use it for. I am thinking of adding one.

Merry Christmas all.

Brian

Ol'time Lawncare
12-21-2004, 10:39 AM
we here have a green house, and right now its about 75 to 80 degrees in it with no heater. its 8 x 10. we have parsley and basil growing now, but the last week of feb we start all are garden veggies then transplant as we need too.

Green-Pro
12-21-2004, 11:03 AM
CoastalGreenscapes,

We have been kicking this idea around also, something to keep occupied during the winter months as well as an additional income generator. Check this site out:

http://www.igcusa.com/

I spoke with their rep. and packages listed will basically cost you double the listed price for them to make the structure turn key. I myself am not real sure about doing the construction of the structure myself versus having them do it for me, but I also have a penny pincher streak in me when it comes to those things that I could likely do myself, that usually makes me give it a try.

Anyway hope this helps, if you have any questions about greenhouses in regards to how I plan to make use of them, size of structure i'm planning, etc. feel free to e-mail me.

G-P

BOTURF
12-21-2004, 01:39 PM
My friend has a greenhouse operation that i work in in the winter months late jan feb and march till i start spring cleanups , we have 7 greenhouses now.... 4 houses that are 24x 96 each 1 house that is 40x 96 and 2 cold houses that are 15 x 96 each , iam the production manager/ grower for 3 months then he takes back over we grow bedding plants(5000 flats), hanging baskets(2500 bskets) , gerianums( 10,000) for retail sale and wholesale also . This is how i get my bedding plants for landscapes so cheap.Let me tell you this the profit margin in a turnkey gh operation is very very slim and pricing from walmarts home depot and lowes is killing us , every year more and more small gh opertions go under... it very hard to make a buck and the work isnt easy at all . we have been in operation since 1989 and each year its getting harder to turn a profit, this may be our last year if we cant make a lot more money . If you have a rainy spring it also kills you dollars wise because people back off buying as much . This is written from a guy who has 16 exp in the trade

jim dailey
12-21-2004, 02:12 PM
we here have a green house, and right now its about 75 to 80 degrees in it with no heater. its 8 x 10. we have parsley and basil growing now, but the last week of feb we start all are garden veggies then transplant as we need too.

I do the same thing. I make them out of PVC and 4-mil. plastic and pressure treated lumber. NICE and WARM in the cold weather, with only the sun for heat. I start my plantings for the vegetable garden in there for the springtime. They are awful handy. I love them.

Ol'time Lawncare
12-21-2004, 03:17 PM
I do the same thing. I make them out of PVC and 4-mil. plastic and pressure treated lumber. NICE and WARM in the cold weather, with only the sun for heat. I start my plantings for the vegetable garden in there for the springtime. They are awful handy. I love them.
.... i made mine out of sliding class door and pressure treated lumber, i've had people here and seen it and asked if i could build them one.

mownlawns
12-21-2004, 03:32 PM
Check out farmtek.com for greenhouse supplies at decent prices. I have two small greenhouses, an 8X10 and a 12X12. I grow flats of flowers from seed for my landscaping business and for use at my home. I consider them a decent investment.

Fantasy Lawns
12-21-2004, 04:09 PM
http://fantasylawns.com/Green_House.jpg

Built this one fore my mom like 10 years ago

http://fantasylawns.com/Green_House2.jpg

Gilla Gorilla
12-21-2004, 04:14 PM
This thread has cought my attention. So what month do you start to plant or germinate say a pansy to be planted in the early spring or bigonia's or something else to be planted in the month of May.

Also about how much did you guys spend on the framing and pvc material that made your own about the size of 8'X12'?

Ric
12-21-2004, 08:50 PM
Just wondering if anyone had a greenhouse and what all they use it for. I am thinking of adding one.

Merry Christmas all.

Brian

Coast

I had several shade houses before Hurricane Charley blew them away. Being in zone 10 we use shade houses not green houses. I am hoping to build cable style shade houses because of the lower cost of construction. I already have the phone poles and cable. but the shade cloth is the expensive part. For hobby type growing you can purchases a PVC frame with clear cover for about $ 200.00

In order to make money growing plants, it requires a large volume growing operation. As a nursery operator I buy many plants and grow very few. It is more profitable to buy small plants and grow them to selling size.