PDA

View Full Version : tecumseh transplant...

sailinstud420
12-21-2004, 04:20 PM
Hey fellas,

I have an old snapper self propelled (prob about 1982-1985) with a tecumsah engine on it. The block was cracked and I found a new murray push with the a tecumsah 4.5 Hp on it that bolts right on. I switched all the old snapper fuel tank, carb, shroud, etc and threw it on this new motor. In my haste to get things done I didn't really pay attention to how the gov linkage stuff hooked up. I found this pic on the net and it is an identicle setup.

I have all the parts but I was wondering if the screw that the red arrow is pointing to gets tightened enough that the arm doesn't have the ability to move around. From my understanding somehow this controls engine speed. Does it need to be set straight up? Or do I want it angled one way or another slightly? I hear these engines are supposed to run around 3200 rpm, but are capable of about 6000. Does anyone crank their's up slightly?

Also, just curious, what is the function of that hose that the blue arrow is pointing to? I think it goes on the air filter housing.

What does it take to get the flywheel off? Let me know. Thanks for the help.

sailinstud420
12-21-2004, 04:23 PM
why can't i post the same pic twice? this is lame.... here check out: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=91247

Smalltimer1
12-21-2004, 07:38 PM
Hey fellas,

I have an old snapper self propelled (prob about 1982-1985) with a tecumsah engine on it. The block was cracked and I found a new murray push with the a tecumsah 4.5 Hp on it that bolts right on. I switched all the old snapper fuel tank, carb, shroud, etc and threw it on this new motor. In my haste to get things done I didn't really pay attention to how the gov linkage stuff hooked up. I found this pic on the net and it is an identicle setup.

I have all the parts but I was wondering if the screw that the red arrow is pointing to gets tightened enough that the arm doesn't have the ability to move around. From my understanding somehow this controls engine speed. Does it need to be set straight up? Or do I want it angled one way or another slightly? I hear these engines are supposed to run around 3200 rpm, but are capable of about 6000. Does anyone crank their's up slightly?

Also, just curious, what is the function of that hose that the blue arrow is pointing to? I think it goes on the air filter housing.

What does it take to get the flywheel off? Let me know. Thanks for the help.

The standard max is 3600rpm on most small engines, if you exceed it, the likelihood of throwing a rod is much higher. The last time I heard 3200 was on some late 60's equipment.

I can't think of the nut size on Tecumsehs, but you can do it with a breaker bar or ratchet/socket and just pull the flywheel off and replace the key anytime you pull the flywheel. Make sure the flywheels will interchange before you do any unneccessary work. Some will, some won't. Good luck with Tecumsehs--I do not recommend them in anything other than snow blowers, aka the Snow King series. They seem to handle cold weather better than others.

Travis Followell
12-21-2004, 07:52 PM
If you hook the linkage up correctly it doesn't really matter if the govenor lever is straight up or not and also when you hook it bach up be sure it moves freely before and appears to operate correctly before you start the engine. If the screw is set correctly it should run around 3600 rpm like smalltimer 1 said.

sailinstud420
12-22-2004, 01:32 AM
how bout getting that stupid flywheel off, I think its rusted on a good one. I have another that I want to swap it with. I tried giving the nut a tap and i also tried prying at it with a screwdriver. It wouldn't budge. I didn't hit it too hard b/c I don't want to break anything. Do I dare apply heat/blowtorch?

vipermanz
12-22-2004, 04:59 AM
'tried a puller?? pb blaster works pretty good on that kinda "sticky" situation as well. I was trying to get a flywheel off of something and i used a 3 jaw puller and my impact gun on it, no problems

Travis Followell
12-22-2004, 07:21 AM
I gave you some pointers in the repair forum. If its rusted then spray it with WD-40 or something like that to loosen it up a little so hopefully it won't break when it comes off. You may want to get a Tecumseh flywheel puller for about $10 from a Tecumseh dealer.

sailinstud420
12-26-2004, 07:51 PM
Get this, I got it all together, gased it up and gave it a pull. Couple pulls later if fired up ran for a while and died. I pullled again and the cord ripped back on my hand, hit me knee and hurt like @&%$!! So pull a few more times, get the same result and I got it running again. My uncle and I finally figured out the problem, the stupid flywheel is 180 degrees opposite of the one that was on the mower. So it is firing at the wrong time. I was all excited but is sounds like it's not going to work out unless I go back to all the other tecumseh stuff (not the snapper stuff). Unless anyone has some suggestions I guess I just find another one on the curb somewhere. Oh well...

Travis Followell
12-26-2004, 08:37 PM
Sounds to me like you have sheared a flywheel key. Thats what keeps the engine firing at the right time. Pull the flywheel and replace it if its sheared. If the flywheel is too large or too small then that would also cause the firing to be off.

sailinstud420
12-27-2004, 02:10 AM
no the key is in good shape. I thought it strange that they flywheel would be reversed too. My uncle has the mower right now and thats what he claims it is, I am going to pick it up tomorow. I'll compare and let you know. Travis- your the greatest, thanks for all the help so far.