PDA

View Full Version : is this ethical?

ince8728
12-21-2004, 04:06 PM
OK so i know that this has been a subject a few times this year but... I charge $60 an hr for leaves, should I charge for an hr even if it takes less than an hr, like a 1hr minimum. Also, if it is me and 3 other guys should I charge the same if I only have 2 other workers (along with me)?

- Matt

ztoro
12-21-2004, 04:07 PM
OK so i know that this has been a subject a few times this year but... I charge $60 an hr for leaves, should I charge for an hr even if it takes less than an hr, like a 1hr minimum. Also, if it is me and 3 other guys should I charge the same if I only have 2 other workers (along with me)?

- Matt

an hr minimum is exceptable.

I charge 40-50 per person per hour......

YardPro
12-21-2004, 04:08 PM
YES
always charge a minimum one hour charge. that will cover your drive time there.

most plummers, electricians, have a $65.00 for the first half hour then $65.00/hr thereafter. (numbers are arbitrary).

always round up.
you'll eat enough of your time in other ways.

richard coffman
12-21-2004, 04:24 PM
i charge $60.00 an hour for landscape maintenance, but i figure out how much the total job cost will be and give them the final quote. it's up to me to make sure i have the job done within that time or sooner. smart planning will have you come out ahead. now if i go to a lawn and can't mow it due to gate locked, or dog out, and customer isn't home, i charge a $10.00 show up fee, and then will have it rescheduled the next free time i have, but have it confirmed with the customer first. Now if i have 2 weeks of growth on a lawn, it'll take me more time to complete the job and so I'll charge what it would cost the customer 2 weeks of mowing for that cut. i make it where customers don't walk all over my company. just need to keep boundry's up.

respectfully,

Richard/Owner :D :D :D

out4now
12-21-2004, 04:40 PM
When I go to the mechanic he will usually charge at least one hour or will bill you in a quarter hour increment. Let's say all you need is a headlight bulb replaced and it takes him 5 min. he would charge you a quarter hour labor. Most service industry people seem to charge at least a half hour for most work under an hour. I think you're justified in doing that.

walker-talker
12-21-2004, 05:28 PM
I charge $60 an hour with a 1 hour minimum. Next year those rates will go to $70 with a $70 minimum and a $10 dump fee on top of that. I can do about 8-10 lawns before dumping. Dump fee is only $25, but I have to bill the time it take to do that....which happens to be around another hour....so I think it is fair.

nitrotim
12-21-2004, 07:16 PM
YES
always charge a minimum one hour charge. that will cover your drive time there.

most plummers, electricians, have a $65.00 for the first half hour then $65.00/hr thereafter. (numbers are arbitrary).

always round up.
you'll eat enough of your time in other ways.

I have a WOLF Commercial Range Oven in my house and I needed one of the igniters fixed on the gridle part. Only WOLF certified technicians can work on them and they charge Min. 85 service charge weather they fix it or not.

mowboy1
12-21-2004, 07:25 PM
In my experience I think an hour minimum charge is fair. However, the rate should vary with the number of people on your crew.

The best system is to quote results and not time, as the post from richard coffman noted. Give them a price for the completed job. Your customers will not be watching the clock plus there is incentive for you to work more efficiently and get the job done faster (without cutting corners though!).

Have you tried this system? If not, give it a try... it's very effective.

All the best!

tiedeman
12-21-2004, 07:27 PM
yup, charge the minimum, even if it only takes you 10 mins

ince8728
12-21-2004, 07:43 PM
yea, what i will prob do 4 nxt year is I will charge a $30 base rate & $10 an hr for each additional man/hr.

RedWingsDet
12-21-2004, 11:19 PM
yea, what i will prob do 4 nxt year is I will charge a $30 base rate & $10 an hr for each additional man/hr.

:angry: :realmad: Please do not do this, SET STANDARDS FOR YOURSELF! Dont be a lowballer. Your rates should be atleast $45 a man hour!!!

Lowballers come and go, High Ballers are here to stay!

HOOLIE
12-22-2004, 01:51 AM
You should charge a minimum price to show up. I like to look at these things as, they asked for a price, I gave them a price, its up to them to determine if they want to go ahead or not. I'm not out to rip anyone off. If a customer calls me to do a final leaf touch-up, and it takes 7 minutes, well, they knew about my rates before they called me.

ince8728
12-22-2004, 05:53 PM
hoolie, could you give me a more in-depth example. So you saying you would still charge them for an hr even if it took you 7 min.

YardPro
12-22-2004, 06:24 PM

tell you what.

i'll do you better.

you come down here , i'll pay you $35 for the first hour and the $15/hour thereafter to mow my yards for me with your truck and your equipment, your insurance..

I'll give you all the work you can do.

YOU"LL GO BROKE charging $10.00/hr.
your equipment/truck costs you more than that.

ince8728
12-22-2004, 07:04 PM
the way I do it is it's 30/hr for me (the owner) then it's 10/hr for each additional man.... But none of my guys get over 10 an hr so i get that extra $ or 2 from them so I acually get around 33-35 an hr.

RedWingsDet
12-22-2004, 07:10 PM
the way I do it is it's 30/hr for me (the owner) then it's 10/hr for each additional man.... But none of my guys get over 10 an hr so i get that extra $ or 2 from them so I acually get around 33-35 an hr.

Let me tell you, if you plan on staying in this business you better charge more! I dont know how you can make money, I have over $700 a month in expenses, thats not including gas, I spend close to $125 on gas each week. I dont see how you can be making money, of yeah, I still live at home (im 16) so I dont have to pay a morgage/gas/water, or anything like that.

You should atleast charge $60 for yourself, and $45 per man hour. So $105 per hour if you have you plus someone working with you.

You in this business to make money, not be a lowballer and be giving people free cuts!

Im not one to judge people, and dont take this the wrong way, im just looking out for you, but, You need to know how much to charge! again $60 and $45 per man hour. You cant make anymoney charging what you charge!!!

PR Fect
12-22-2004, 07:19 PM
ince8728, If the going rate in your area is $33-35 an hour, don't cheat your self on your helper rate. Charge ant least $30 for them also. Keep good records of your equipment cost, you may need to raise your rates down the road when you get bigger equipment and the jobs get done faster. And yes always charge a one hour min. PR

PR Fect
12-22-2004, 07:22 PM
Mark, If we charged $60 an hour in our area, and all I had was a 32 in walk behind, I don't think we would be doing much work.

muddstopper
12-22-2004, 07:52 PM
I have a minimum charge for every service I do. Of course I hydroseed and dont do mowing. It costs me the same amount to take a half empty tank of materials to a job as it would a full tank load. It takes the same amount of time to clean the machine. The only things I save with a half load is about 3 min filling time and about 6 min spraying time and a couple of dollars on supplies. I also do stump grinding. I have a $40 show up fee, this covers my fuel and drive time, I then price the stumps according to the amount of time it would take me to grind them. I have a minimum fee for grinding to. $50 pr hr with a one hour minimum.