PDA

View Full Version : Contract or not to Contract?

newbomb
12-21-2004, 09:44 PM
I have been residential mowing for many years now and have never needed a contract. I do mostly small lots and town homes and either bill monthly or collect while Im there. I have rarely been beaten for much money. I doubt if most of the customers I have with my residential setup would agree to a contract at all. Any thoughts?

j fisher
12-21-2004, 09:51 PM
I've found that contracts for residential customers are'nt worth the paper there written on. I tried them, and found that the ones who are going to pay will, and the ones that want, want. In fact, the only 2 I had not to pay this year were under contract. I have never had a verbal agreement customer not pay.

Randy Scott
12-21-2004, 10:00 PM
If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

HOOLIE
12-22-2004, 01:32 AM
Before I went into business for myself, I worked for a number of years for another LCO, during which time I took around 30 deadbeats to Small Claims. Virtually every one of them were first-year customers. It was very rare to have a problem with a customer who had been around for more than one year. So I wouldn't worry about making your long-time customers sign a contract now. For any new customers, though, you might go ahead and draw up some service agreement. And yeah, just because you have a contract doesn't mean they won't pay you.

Richard Martin
12-22-2004, 02:46 AM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=89618&highlight=contract

This was just discussed to death not 3 weeks ago.

walker-talker
12-22-2004, 03:04 AM
In my area, I don't think most would sign a contract. The biggest problems I have had with non-payers were from people who rent their housing. I have considered requiring a month-in-advance payment OR a contract for those who rent, but right now the uncollectibles usually, if ever, top $200 a a year.

newbomb
12-24-2004, 12:07 AM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=89618&highlight=contract

This was just discussed to death not 3 weeks ago.

I was busy working 2 jobs 3 weeks ago. I needed to now to plan for next year. Thanks to all for the positive feedback. Paul

Richard Martin
12-24-2004, 01:26 AM
Thanks to all for the positive feedback. Paul

A simple search (located at the top of every page) would have shown you.