PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use their own gas pumps?

Sir mowsalot
12-21-2004, 10:15 PM
Ive been thinking about getting a huge gas tank installed at the house. That way in the mornings i can gas up everything without having to deal with everyone else at the pumps in the morning . Anyone else do this, and is their a discount on the gas for ordering a larger quantitiy? Also im sure their is a bunch of regualtions that i will need to go by. Its just something ive been kickin around lately.

osc
12-21-2004, 10:23 PM
Stay above ground, too much epa and expense for a tank in the dirt. I had a 500 gal gas tank and a 1000 gal diesel tank with tokheim pumps just like at the filling station. All above ground and it worked out just great.

olderthandirt
12-21-2004, 10:25 PM
Been doing it for yrs. You will love it. No discounts unless you count the times you buy when its cheap, if you live in the country no regs ask any farmer that has gravity tanks

Mac

lqmustang
12-21-2004, 10:38 PM
I second the suggestion for an above ground tank. I used to deal with UST's, and the regulations and such would probably be more than you would want to deal with, not to mention the liability and cleanup issues if you would have a release. Remediation can be extremely costly. Best thing is to call your state's governing body concerning fuel tanks and storage to find out if it would be feasible to do. Sure would make it alot easier to fillup.

shepoutside
12-21-2004, 11:45 PM
Yes, have had for many years. Had to get new above ground tanks, and put them in cement tubs for spills , as I live on a lake. I save 2% buying bulk, but save alot of time, not running for fuel. Have a local kid refuel everything at night, so saves time for the crew's too. I have card readers for each truck, and can track expenses too.

walker-talker
12-21-2004, 11:57 PM
I have an old 55 gallon square tank that is for inserting into a truck bed. It has been setting idle for probably 3 or 4 years. What would you guys recommend as far as how to check the inside for rust and how to go about cleaning it out? Also, what would you recommend as far as a pump goes? I was thinking of just having a hand pump and a heavy pipe connected to the end of the hose to keep it weighted down. I will only be filling a couple mower and gas can with it.

Any advice is appreciated.
Matt

out4now
12-22-2004, 12:10 AM
Walker Talker A simple extendable mirror and a flashlight will let you look around in it. Do you have regs on how much fuel you can carry with out a Hazmat Lic?

Back to the original question, get above ground tanks. Knew a guy that started his own reapir shop and had a gas pump out back in the ground and it leaked a long time before they caught it. Bankrupted him cleaning it up.

Sir mowsalot
12-22-2004, 12:35 AM
Above tank it is then. The last thing anyone needs is a leaky in ground tank. One other question, how about during the winter months when the gas isnt being used as much, do you need to throw in any treatment?

nitrotim
12-22-2004, 07:58 AM
a One other question, how about during the winter months when the gas isnt being used as much, do you need to throw in any treatment?

I was told be a friend who works at a refinery that when they oxygenate the fuel with the MTBE's in the winter around here the shelf life is about a month.
When I winterize any of my quipment and my street bike I use a STA-BIL.

YardPro
12-22-2004, 08:13 AM
yea stay away from inground.
my parents owned a small chain of convenience stores here on the island. after getting out of the business, two of the stores tanks had leaks. thank goodness they had already sold the stores years before. it cost the new company abouy $200K for cleanup.

walker-talker
12-22-2004, 08:52 AM
Walker Talker A simple extendable mirror and a flashlight will let you look around in it. Do you have regs on how much fuel you can carry with out a Hazmat Lic?Good question, but if I had to guess off the top of my head...none. Why I say that is because they probably build these of the back of the truck to a certain size and no larger because it would require some sort of license. I am just guessing at the size, but I don't think it's more than 50 or 55 gallons. I am sure there are some trucks that hold that much, in two seperate tanks and don't need any special permits. I will have to look more into that. Thanks!

Braxton
12-22-2004, 10:11 AM
How exactly does having an above ground tank protect you from the liability of having to clean up a spill? Wouldn't the EPA require similar cleanup for an above ground tank spill?

Just wondering.

Braxton

bblawncareprofessionals
12-22-2004, 11:03 AM
Checked a few sites: UFC and EPA sites... basically they say biggest tank capacity on site is 12,000 gal. Don't think you're going to use one that big. But there are bunches of safety requirements depending on type of tank used (single- or dual- wall construction) about safety vaults and drip catching and fences, etc. A site with some of the generic regulations: http://www.steeltank.com/library/pubs/depths.html

out4now
12-22-2004, 11:25 AM
How exactly does having an above ground tank protect you from the liability of having to clean up a spill? Wouldn't the EPA require similar cleanup for an above ground tank spill?

Just wondering.

Braxton

Doesn't protect you from the liability you could just see the leak right away smaller clean up is better than a large one.

Kelly's Landscaping
12-22-2004, 11:25 AM
We used 5000-6000 gallons this year and those numbers are up from only 2500 the year before I can see myself getting the tanks in a few more seasons as well. The thing I am curious about is I know I am not required to pay the gas tax on off road use so If we could calculate the amount of off road use would I be able to buy that part tax free instead of jumping through hoops later to get our money back? If that could be done then it would be some very big savings as the gas tax in my county is around 50 cents a gallon.

muddstopper
12-22-2004, 08:27 PM
Kelly, I am guessing here because I am not sure if the off road tax applies to gas. I thought it was only for diesel but, if you are exempt from the tax, I would think that the supplier would know this and would be able to help you with your questions of how to account for the tax liability. Just a suggestion.

Mdirrigation
12-22-2004, 08:37 PM
If you are working from home check your homeowners policy , they may drop you . and wont cover you incase of a spill. Local laws may forbid this also.

Harleyboy52
12-22-2004, 09:41 PM
in N. C. if you are using gas for off road uses such as mowers and boats you can save all your receipts and file a form at the end of the year and get the road tax back. It use to be .22 about 10 years ago so I'm sure it's gone up alot.

Soupy
12-22-2004, 10:27 PM
A lot of the gas companies will supply the tank. I don't use one, but I use to work for a gas supplier.