PDA

View Full Version : Mini Farms

Goodaaron
12-22-2004, 01:57 AM
How would you guys bid what we call around here mini-farms. These are usually 2-3 acre lots with 1/2 to 3/4 million dollar homes on them only trimming is around the homes and driveway edging. Any help would be appreciated.

HOOLIE
12-22-2004, 02:36 AM
There's lawns like that around me, I don't even bid on them, because I've found there's always some idiot willing to do them for $50. I'd leave an estimate for $100-$150, and get calls "You gotta be kidding me, the going rate in here is $50". So some poor guy is working his butt off to go broke.

Lawnchoice
12-22-2004, 03:22 AM
We service 3 acre lots with old apple orchards on them. I guess you could consider it a mini farm.

We charge $60.00 per mower/man per hour. What I do it cut the lawn for them without giving them a price, then calculate out what the charge will be for them weekly. If they think it's too high, they cut me a check and we shake hands and part friends. That has only happened twice in quite a few years.

pgiambat
12-22-2004, 08:42 AM
I agree with LawnChoice's approach. If a cut is hard to bid for whatever reason, I tell the customer that I'll cut, trim and blow for $1.00 a minute and I'll work fast.
When the job is done I'll round it down to the nearest $5.00 because I'll get faster as the weeks roll by.
Usually works well.