PDA

View Full Version : Wiring for a trailer?

Braxton
12-22-2004, 10:18 AM
I will be getting an older truck in the Spring (1968? Ford); I do not know if it is wired for a trailer. If not, how difficult is it to do the wiring? Can anyone suggest something to read on this?

Thanks.

Braxton

Mikes Machines
12-22-2004, 04:23 PM
Its not a hard job if you understand electricity. There are fits all kits available from most truck or motor home repair places. You can wire it yourself if you are mechanincal. A four pin connector wiring and connectors are all that is needed. With a test light check for left turn, right turn and running lights at the back of the truck. You will also need a ground wire from the frame of the truck to the frame on the trailer. Just hook up the appropriate wires on the truck the the matching wires on the trailer. For example left turn on truck to left turn on trailer and so on. If you are going to use brakes on the trailer it gets more complicated but still isnt to bad.

Braxton
12-22-2004, 06:33 PM
Its not a hard job if you understand electricity. There are fits all kits available from most truck or motor home repair places. You can wire it yourself if you are mechanincal. A four pin connector wiring and connectors are all that is needed. With a test light check for left turn, right turn and running lights at the back of the truck. You will also need a ground wire from the frame of the truck to the frame on the trailer. Just hook up the appropriate wires on the truck the the matching wires on the trailer. For example left turn on truck to left turn on trailer and so on. If you are going to use brakes on the trailer it gets more complicated but still isnt to bad.

Definitely want brakes on the trailer. Any other help?

Thanks Mike.

Braxton

Lawrence Lawns
12-22-2004, 06:57 PM
Most daul tandom trailers have electric brakes already installed. They hook right in to the 7 prong wire harness. You need to make sure you get the 7 prong wire harness kit when you install the wiring. If you already have a trailer and it does not have brakes, just use it the way it is but still get the 7 prong wiring so it is set up for when you upgrade to a bigger trailer. If you don't have a trailer yet and you plan to grow you business in the future, don't make the same mistake I did. Get a decent size one from the start. You'll save yourself trouble. A 7X16 would be sufficient and it should have brakes. :waving:

Mikes Machines
12-22-2004, 08:52 PM
If you want brakes on the trailer it gets more complicated. You will need to have a brake controller in the truck and wire it according to the instructions. Most take a signal from the brake light switch before it goes into the wiring harness so you get a brake signal and not a turn signal. If you wired into the lights at the back of the truck the trailer brakes will lock up in time with the flashing of the turn signal. Ask me how I know. There needs to be a heavier ground wire because the brakes use a lot more power than the lights. You will also need a connector with more terminals. At a truck or camper place you can get a real nice plastic water proof one with a pig tail already wired to it, they can also tell you how most people in your area wire trailers so you can hook up to any trailer. Believe it or not there is not a standard terminal arangement. If you can understand the directions for the brake controller you shouldnt have a problem.

Lovbcstiller
12-26-2004, 09:04 AM
Get a 7 way round plug. The instructions in the package will help you wire the truck up to the trailer. Here is a link to help you out: http://www.accessconnect.com/trailer_wiring_diagram.htm