PDA

View Full Version : EZ Reacher Pick up Tool

rookie03
12-22-2004, 11:29 AM
Anyone carry an EZ Reacher Pick up Tool on their mower to pick up trash? If so, any ideas on how to mount one to the mower?

out4now
12-22-2004, 11:38 AM
EZ Reachers are the ones with the big plastic claws I think? Hated those, tips always fell of and weren't designed good. There were better ones made out of aluminum and plastic by a company out of Pikes Peak COlorado, I think their name is Peak Industries and the product is called a Park Patrol. We made a little rack that sat hind the seat to carry ours and had a small bucket to put the trash in. Should mention though that the ParkPatrol tools do have a much smaller opening but we normaly just picked up paper, bottles and cans.

coastallandscapesolutions
12-22-2004, 12:37 PM
There is an ez-reach on all the ztr's (60" model). Love them. We use the metal clips designed to hold flashlights to keep them on the ztr's.

Soupy
12-22-2004, 01:07 PM
I like the ones with round suction cups on the ends. My local Ace hardware sells a cheap brand for around $5. They work great, but can bend easy if you get them caught between the steering lever and frame.

grass_cuttin_fool
12-22-2004, 01:41 PM
I have a 1/4 '' rod that is about 44'' long that i heated and bent so it has a handle on it and then took the other end and ground it to a point to stab cans and paper with. I dont have the ROPS on my tiger cub and the mounting holes for it is where i slide the rod in when im not using it. On bottles i can stick the rod in it and pick them up. It was just a piece of scrap I had. Even if you had to buy it you probably have less than 5 bux in it

work_it
12-22-2004, 02:26 PM
I just bought another folding one today. Shopping at Big Lots and found them for $3.99.

Soupy
12-22-2004, 02:45 PM
I just bought another folding one today. Shopping at Big Lots and found them for $3.99.

I bet that is the same one I use. Ace sells them for a lttle higher, but they run specials all the time for the $3.99 price. I buy several at a time.

Did your's come in a grey wedge shaped box and have a red handle?

Branchland
12-22-2004, 05:43 PM
Mine's got the suction cups. Don't remember where I got them. They'er blue and fold in the middle. I just lay them at my feet on the ZTR. Love them, work great.

Lawnchoice
12-22-2004, 06:44 PM
Just mow over the trash and suck it up with a bagger.

JK'ing

PR Fect
12-22-2004, 07:08 PM
Lawnchoice, I wish you worked in my area. I could use a few new jobs next year. My E-Z reach sits between my legs on my Toro Z master. Have a Groundsmaster Bag that hangs behind the seat. Would not go on a lawn without them!

burnandreturn
12-22-2004, 07:20 PM
If you look just under my beautiful thighs you will see a tool to pick up trash. two small spring clamps mounted to the mower. pops in and out not problem.

Notice the steer head, nox system and dual exhaust pipes, yep, I'm a redneck!

PR Fect
12-22-2004, 08:09 PM
If you look just under my beautiful thighs you will see a tool to pick up trash. two small spring clamps mounted to the mower. pops in and out not problem.

YOUR KILLING ME! LOL, no, RLMAO

Harleyboy52
12-22-2004, 08:10 PM
I use to think that I was a redneck, but after looking at your picture I don't think that I can say that anymore.

locutus
12-22-2004, 08:14 PM

Notice the steer head, nox system and dual exhaust pipes, yep, I'm a redneck!Does the other thing between your thighs pick up white trash?

Soupy
12-22-2004, 08:54 PM

What did you do to that DC? You might want to find some yellow ear protectors. The Orange clashes with yellow.. I like your work boots :p

work_it
12-22-2004, 09:32 PM
I bet that is the same one I use. Ace sells them for a lttle higher, but they run specials all the time for the $3.99 price. I buy several at a time.

Did your's come in a grey wedge shaped box and have a red handle?
Nope. It comes in a rectangular box and has a grey handle. They're probably made by the same company but boxed differently for whomever is selling them. Sounds like you do the same as me. I always keep my personal stock pile in the work shop. :D

impactlandscaping
12-22-2004, 10:42 PM
Does the other thing between your thighs pick up white trash?

:p ROTFLMFAO!!!! :p

burnandreturn
12-23-2004, 09:56 AM
Yeah, When I show up at a barbeque like that I gotta beat the girls off. It's a real chick magnet! Especially when I wear my spurs. :cool2:

cutnedge
12-23-2004, 10:11 AM
No beer holders on that model?????

burnandreturn
12-23-2004, 10:12 AM
Drinkin is dangerous, I might be the only redneck that doesn't drink!

Turfcutters Plus
12-23-2004, 12:51 PM
My picker-upper is to the right of my right leg.The bottom sits loose in a small pouch-like purse.The other end is loose between mower and seat.Farther right of deck height adjustment area is a bucket(i switched to a square shaped storage container).This allows me to"quick draw"my right hand to pick up trash then container is right there.I'm very fast on the draw,much like "the rifleman"!Ha!Ha! :gunsfirin

Daneman
12-27-2004, 09:47 AM
Do a google search for a company by the name of Otto Papp. They are located in Wisconsin. The fabricate a cool holder for both a bucket and an EZ reacher that they sell. They have a great Website, I just can't remember the address. Pretty reasonable prices, I think 125.00$ for the holder, bucket, reacher, and mounting hardware. Can even paint it Exmark Red and Scag orange. Of course black too.

Turfcutters Plus
12-27-2004, 06:00 PM
Why would anyone in their right mind pay $125 for something like that? :dizzy:

work_it
12-27-2004, 11:02 PM
Why would anyone in their right mind pay $125 for something like that? :dizzy:
I'm glad you asked the question. I was wondering the same thing. Are they making them out of some new material that was just tested in space and it's indestructable or something? Or does it walk in the house and grab a beer for you upon command? Hum.....if someone is so willing to spend that much on a $3-$4 grabber I also have a charity I'm starting called "Tim's fund for a better economic outlook". That's where I'll hand polish a penny and they can buy it for the low low price of $100. lol

Daneman
12-28-2004, 08:51 AM
The reason it is so expensive is that you are not getting one of the cheaper "Wally World" grabbers, you are getting the one that is guaranteed for life, except for the replacement suction cups. Also, their mounting system actually looks like a factory option. Plus the grabber is a 48", which the extra length makes it easier to grab junk while in the seat of your ZTR. The thing will pick up a 5lb brick. I like my stuff to look clean and be out of my way until I need to use it, and this works out pretty good. The old adage still rings true, "you get what you pay for." I like the professional look to it.

Runner
12-28-2004, 02:14 PM

LOL This reminds me of the episode of King of The Hill, when they had to go in for the market research focus group for the new ZTR tractor and that was one of the major issues - no cup holder.
Anyway, I got my grabber at Home Depot. It rides with me right between the outside of the right handle and the gas tank. It fits right down in there, and rests down on the side if the foot tray.

coastallandscapesolutions
12-28-2004, 02:46 PM

You should never drink and drive. You might spill you drink! :p

work_it
12-30-2004, 11:42 AM
The reason it is so expensive is that you are not getting one of the cheaper "Wally World" grabbers, you are getting the one that is guaranteed for life, except for the replacement suction cups. Also, their mounting system actually looks like a factory option. Plus the grabber is a 48", which the extra length makes it easier to grab junk while in the seat of your ZTR. The thing will pick up a 5lb brick. I like my stuff to look clean and be out of my way until I need to use it, and this works out pretty good. The old adage still rings true, "you get what you pay for." I like the professional look to it.
IMHO, it's still not worth $125. I can buy 30 of my cheaper grabbers for the price of your one. With 30 of them I don't care if they get torn up 'cause I can get out a new one. As for picking up 5lb bricks....don't run into many of those in my lawns, and if I did I would hop off the mower and pick it up....no biggie. My point is that some of us are more concerned with keeping operating costs at a minimum while maintaining efficiency. For the price of your grabber I can buy a new set of belts and blades for my w/b as well as a grabber to use on the TT. I wouldn't last long in business if I started paying 30 times more than I needed to for every little purchase. ;)