PDA

View Full Version : What to expect by adding a 2nd crew?

ManleyLawn
12-22-2004, 01:04 PM
Hey guys i am thinking about adding another mowing crew this upcoming season. My question is what can I do over these few months to better prepare myself for the spring. I'm not sure how other companys do it but in the morning do you give the guys a list of properties to mow and just let them go. My idea was a clip board in the shop that lists all the work to be completed for the day. But how are they going to know the properties or know how the customer likes it done.??? I have been putting a lot of thought into it but am not sure how to make things run smoother in an already hectic time. Thanks ahead of time for your help.

65hoss
12-22-2004, 01:25 PM
Hey guys i am thinking about adding another mowing crew this upcoming season. My question is what can I do over these few months to better prepare myself for the spring. I'm not sure how other companys do it but in the morning do you give the guys a list of properties to mow and just let them go. My idea was a clip board in the shop that lists all the work to be completed for the day. But how are they going to know the properties or know how the customer likes it done.??? I have been putting a lot of thought into it but am not sure how to make things run smoother in an already hectic time. Thanks ahead of time for your help.
What to expect by adding a 2nd crew? A lot of new headaches.

Personally I would have a list of props for the crew to handle daily. I would have it setup for them to be the regular crew on that prop most of the time. That way they know what is expected. I would consider letting the crew leader be someone that you have working for you now. They know how you like things and have no excuse for letting quality slip.

i_plant_art
12-22-2004, 01:34 PM
What seems to work for me is to hire good help first off..... what i did when i was working as the foreman of my own business and got ready to turn it over to someone else to do the daily route was to ride with them for 2 weeks letting them handle things. I went along for a week shoed them the route, taught them the properties, introduced them to the customers if applicable. Then let them do it for themselves for a week with me still tagging along, only as more of a laborer.... i let them run the show. When it came time to add a second crew i promoted/hired someone to lead that crew... had them ride with the other foreman, the one i taught and had them teach them the ins and out of the buz and how i/the customer wants things then let them ( the new foreman) take over the existing route since they just rode it for 4 weeks and then took the original foreman and moved him/her to the new route ( since they were experienced in the biz and how i wanted things it seemed to be easier transition that way) i gave the first foreman a bonus for teaching the new foreman, and told them of this upfront that i would. I also gave all of my employees the oppertunity to become a foreman by interview process b4 i went out and hired someone from the outside.

After all was said and done it seemed to be a smooth transition for all and all of us have been happy. a few bumps in the road along the way, but it happens and is expected, its a business.

rodfather
12-22-2004, 01:40 PM
Communication and Quality Control is the key.

A few minutes if needed to chat with your guys before sending them out each morning works for me. Keeping the same people on the same properties work well as well. They will know in no time flat who does what and where depending on the machine they're operating. Let them decide. They are in a better position to by being on the same props each week because of their familarity.

It's "live and learn" each time you add another crew (I know all too well). Don't expect spectacular results at the very beginning. Different people will have different abilities whether it comes to mowing, trimming, etc. There will be complaints (employee and client). Listen carefully to them, acknowlege them, and verbally/write down the course of action to take. Of course, always offer your suggestions onn how you want something done, but, give your crew leader the authority to do things as he/she seems fit too.

Last, but not least...good luck!