PDA

View Full Version : U.S. lawns

brinlee lawn
12-22-2004, 03:38 PM
Does anybody know anything about us lawns???? Was looking at there web site and noticed they didnt have any in Oklahoma. From what I read it only costs $29,999 to buy into the franchise, it didnt say anything about royalties wonder what those are like.

BOTURF
12-22-2004, 03:40 PM
Stay away from them.......... do a search using search feature on this forum and prob will be thread after thread about them

J&R
12-22-2004, 03:43 PM
Give me 30,000 and 10% of you income i will give you my accounts. On US lawn they took some accounts form me. and cut the price so i call them lowballers.

brinlee lawn
12-22-2004, 03:46 PM
thanks for the replies, I will do a search on them. Boy they sure make it sound good.

i_plant_art
12-22-2004, 03:57 PM
J&R the same thing happened to me and not only did they take my accounts by lower price but also are including more services. How they make money off of it i dont know. US LAWNS is owned by VAlley Crest it is their franchise version and also a way to get those accounts who dont want to do business with a big company but little do they all know....................

cklands
12-22-2004, 04:00 PM
I can't see the point of giving someone 30k. All they are going to do is start a marketing and advertising campaign in your area to get you accounts. If you are already in business then you could spend a lot less than that and get as many accounts as they are going to get you. And if you are not in business yet and have that kind of $ then spend it yourself and do the work yourself.

rodfather
12-22-2004, 04:04 PM
30 grand for a name? NFW. Thanks, but I'll pass...

brinlee lawn
12-22-2004, 04:06 PM
well put cklands, Thats what I need to do is more advertising, I dont believe I will put any more effort into exploring this after going back through some old threads. I really appreciate everybodys replies thanks for the info.

Norm Al
12-22-2004, 04:12 PM
if you are starting out and want a business quick,,,,they have an awesome deal!

they will send u butt loads of work and you will be happy! I know 2 guys that are more than safisfied with what they give in return for the investment!

brinlee lawn
12-22-2004, 04:17 PM
Everybody says they will send you a butt load of work, where do they get the work I mean there is not a us lawns franchise in Oklahoma so how do they send you the work?? Is it mainly fast food chains and large chain stores.

Norm Al
12-22-2004, 04:36 PM
they have an inside line with national companys such as fast food, box stores, sports fields and real estate management companys!

do those companys want to save money?...yes
will they hire you if they can?....yes
will they hire because us lawns is backing you?...yes

those same companys if you walk in and if you are a nobody, will they even let you past the front door?....no

their biggest contact is commercial real estate management companys!

brinlee lawn
12-22-2004, 04:51 PM
Does anybody know if they have requirements as far as equipment and vehicles?? I mean do you have to have x amount of dollars in equipment and a certain trailer and truck.

Mowmoney00
12-22-2004, 05:05 PM
WOW...$30,000 smack-o-roos for business name and advertising... No thanks.

Better yet, how about spending $30,000 in advertising in your own business and i'll bet you that you can put so much literature in each persons hands that they'll hire you just so you will stop sending them all that crap :p

Might work ... i might just try that!!!

Fantasy Lawns
12-22-2004, 05:10 PM
They will send you National Contracts ..... like Target or Washington Mutual Bank ... Sunoco (B&P Gas) .... the large Condo or Hotels which are owned by an "Investment Group" .... mostly Commercial Jobs

If I had the $$ at the time I would have done it before Brevard County was take few years ago ... granted the $30k would get you a lot of ADVO n such ....but they also have the success that goes with it .... the financial & legal advice ... the discount on purchases .... the cheap insurance or health rates

Granted It's NOT fore everyone .... but the individual whom has dreams of getting big .... FAST with a proven track record .... which comes at a price as Yes you do have to give a percentage of yearly profit but that percentage goes down when you get into bigger yearly gross

out4now
12-22-2004, 05:12 PM
US Lawns, seen many threads on this one. Currently they target large commercial accounts but may eventually move in to residential. There are always alot of rumors flying around about this franchise set up. I've heard talk that Valley Crest may do the same with their tree care and become more of just a parent company that does the negotiating and reduces their risk putting more burden on the franchisee. I have also heard Asplundh is looking into this as well. As for lowballing it is and it isn't. Do you hear anyone calling McDonalds a low baller? No, because they actually changed the entire restaurant industry with their strategy and others followed suit. Are their still successful independents sure. People are just mad because of the enormous leverage they have and will continue to use. They aren't price dumping because they are working on economies of scale. It's about adaptation in any industry some go under when things like this happen and it will continue to happen. 30000 though to cut grass seems really high to me but if you did land large accounts it may be worth it. The question is do you really want them dictating alot of what you buy and how you do things and want to conform to their structure? It is designed really for someone that wants to be big fast and doesn't mind compromising. People here would probably be interested in the specifics so if you want to dig up more info and share that would be cool just don't sign if it feels wrong to you.

brinlee lawn
12-22-2004, 05:16 PM
I just sent them an email requesting more info. When I get you guys and gals will be the first to know. I will let ya know what they have to say.

Fantasy Lawns
12-22-2004, 05:24 PM
Oh ya you have to have mostly new equip n the truck is lettered with their logo (kinda good looking) BUT they will send to dealer whom they have a contract with n get you set with the financing n a fair discount on the equip n truck

Same when you buy parts, uniforms etc

Your gonna want to be in or near a metro area to take advantage of what they offer .... if your in an area with only so much population or commercial work it's not the way to go

N if you want TOTAL control of your operations it's NOT the way to go .... as they have rules n such you must follow .... just like the Wendy, Burger King or Domino's fanchises

brinlee lawn
12-22-2004, 05:28 PM
According to there web site the truck lettering is part of the up front cost. just didnt know if you had to have a certain brand of equp. or truck..

J&R
12-22-2004, 05:56 PM
One more thing the jobs they took from me. The quality went away. Yes thay are LOWBALLERS all the way.

ed2hess
12-22-2004, 06:23 PM
One more thing the jobs they took from me. The quality went away. Yes thay are LOWBALLERS all the way.
I seen a few responses in this forum indicate TG has poor quality too, but I don't agree with those statements. And when we see TG bids they are low...in the area of $25/hr range. Do you consider them lowballers? About the only commerical jobs you can get in our market are the ones where they are locally owned.

Kelly's Landscaping
12-22-2004, 06:41 PM
Take the freedom for being self employed and throw that out the window if you cut them a check for 30k. Weather you like it or not from that day forth your working for the man.

Check into your end of the bargain my guess is like other franchises if you do not perform up to what they feel you should be at they can seize your company and your out on your butt. Don't think so I could tell you quite a few horror stories of people I knew of that had that happen to them in other franchises.

out4now
12-22-2004, 06:49 PM
For J&R The favorite come back of box type companies "That's Business". Ok so you lost some contracts to them what did you do about it? Did you get more efficient so you could do more jobs and pocket more money to make up the difference? Think about the account holder for just a moment. You have an unusual vantage point in that you really know what good work looks like. Does he? Probabbly not since all he sees is what's in front of his parking spot and outside his office window everyday. As long as it looks good from a distance Joe CEO doesn't care. Businesses allocate as little money as possible to things that do not produce money. You see the world through the eyes of a small business owner but not from all vantage points ask "why ?" until you get to the root of the problem.

J&R
12-22-2004, 06:59 PM
For J&R The favorite come back of box type companies "That's Business". Ok so you lost some contracts to them what did you do about it? Did you get more efficient so you could do more jobs and pocket more money to make up the difference? Think about the account holder for just a moment. You have an unusual vantage point in that you really know what good work looks like. Does he? Probabbly not since all he sees is what's in front of his parking spot and outside his office window everyday. As long as it looks good from a distance Joe CEO doesn't care. Businesses allocate as little money as possible to things that do not produce money. You see the world through the eyes of a small business owner but not from all vantage points ask "why ?" until you get to the root of the problem.
No i didn't replace that 12,000 contract that never hirt me. That's about 5% of my gross From yoir reply you must be a US lawns that gave up your name and paid out the A$$ for nothing.

muddstopper
12-22-2004, 08:07 PM
Personally. I like US Lawns, they have sent me quite a bit of business hydroseeding. I grow it, I dont care who mowes it.

out4now
12-22-2004, 08:14 PM
No i didn't replace that 12,000 contract that never hirt me. That's about 5% of my gross From yoir reply you must be a US lawns that gave up your name and paid out the A$$ for nothing.

No. Like I said in my earlier post I think 30,000 is too high. If I was faced with a competitor like that though I'd try and find out as much as I could about them to see what I could do to compete. I'm a business major so I look at things from as many angles as possible. Someday if nothing better comes along maybe I will open franchises of my own. Keep on doing nothing if that works for you. I was just trying to get you thinking and to see things from a different angle but I guess you aren't interested. Hey that's fine.

Gene $immons
12-22-2004, 08:28 PM
Brinlee - don't bring them to Oklahoma. :realmad:

If you have $30,000 to invest, I would strongly suggest to spend it on yourself and grow YOUR business.

richard coffman
12-22-2004, 08:44 PM
i happen to think u.s. lawns is about the same as true green chem lawn is to the industry. I personally don't like them. big business will allways try to take small business out. we're the american dream, there not.....it's that simple...

Respectfully,

Richard/Owner

brinlee lawn
12-22-2004, 08:58 PM
Gene I dont think you have anything to worry about, I really like working for myself. After everything that has been said on here tonight I really dont think it is for me.

brinlee lawn
01-15-2005, 04:39 PM
Gene Simmons I talked with the U.S. lawns rep. and he informed me that they just had a guy in the O.K.C. area finish his training. So I would keep an eye out for him. So I wont be the one to bring them here.

redoak77
01-15-2005, 10:24 PM
Only 29,999.....?

scottt
01-15-2005, 11:40 PM
J&R,
out4now was trying to open your eyes a little. You are upset that they took some of your business, but you wouldn't respond to his comments about possibly improving your business to be more competitive with others. All you did was personally attack him. Try to look past your hate and see that he was trying to help by getting you to look at it from another's view.

p.s.
Before you throw more flames, I am not affiliated with US Lawns.

J&R
01-16-2005, 12:09 AM
J&R,
out4now was trying to open your eyes a little. You are upset that they took some of your business, but you wouldn't respond to his comments about possibly improving your business to be more competitive with others. All you did was personally attack him. Try to look past your hate and see that he was trying to help by getting you to look at it from another's view.

p.s.
Before you throw more flames, I am not affiliated with US Lawns.My business has been going for 24 years. I don't need to inproved I make top dollar or i won't drop a mower off my trailer. You sound like Flex Deck inprove time and charge less. I on the other hand inprove time and charge more. I try to open the eyes of home owners and CEO and teach them how i will inprove the looks at there homes or business but it will cost them more than Joe Blow Lowballer.

Jeff@SGLC.ca
01-16-2005, 01:13 AM
I'm pretty sure this is the same company we talk about over at plowsite.com. Do a search over there and see what those guys have to say. The way they work though is they will quote a price on the job without ever seeing the job or measuring up the job, then as the contractor you have to do the job at the price they quoted.

brinlee lawn
01-16-2005, 06:30 AM
hey scottt where at in northeast O.K. are you located????

stumper1620
01-16-2005, 08:28 AM
I'm pretty sure this is the same company we talk about over at plowsite.com. Do a search over there and see what those guys have to say. The way they work though is they will quote a price on the job without ever seeing the job or measuring up the job, then as the contractor you have to do the job at the price they quoted.
nope thats "us maintenance" different companies, us maint. is in pa, us lawns is a different state, don't remember which one thou. :)

brinlee lawn
01-16-2005, 08:52 AM
U.S. Lawns is based out of Florida

scottt
01-16-2005, 02:59 PM
My business has been going for 24 years. I don't need to inproved

You just made my point.
I guarantee there is at least one thing you could do to improve your business that would net you more profit. No one said you have to lower prices. Even if you kept your same pricing structure you could make more profit.

J&R
01-16-2005, 03:47 PM
You just made my point.
I guarantee there is at least one thing you could do to improve your business that would net you more profit. No one said you have to lower prices. Even if you kept your same pricing structure you could make more profit.Scott- Please tell me what you have learn in the 1 year that i haven't learn doing this for 24 years.

scottt
01-16-2005, 07:51 PM
Scott- Please tell me what you have learn in the 1 year that i haven't learn doing this for 24 years.
I never stated how long I have been in business, but it is much longer than 1 year. I don't know your business or you so I can't say what would improve it. The point is, EVERYONE has room for improvement no matter how long they have been around or how big they are. Are you on this board for new ideas, different points of view, or improving you business? I would imagine the answer would be yes.

j fisher
01-16-2005, 07:56 PM
Don't mean to interupt the ongoing conversation between you guys, but I saw an ad for US Lawns in todays Fayetteville paper.

PMLAWN
01-16-2005, 08:07 PM
J fisher-- they are in Mooresville and around Lake Norman.

J&R
01-16-2005, 08:08 PM
Scott- Sorry you have doing this for 5 years my mistake. Do i need to learn more. some but not much. I run on about 67% profit margin. That is way above avg. Yes i came here to learn. Here's what i have learned on LawnSite. Most don't charge a good rate for the srevice work and never carry workers comp, Lib, lic. When i post it's to teach LCOs here how to run and build there co and what to stay away from.

scottt
01-16-2005, 08:12 PM
Sorry for the interruption, I won't continue this discussion here.
J&M,
I am in total agreement with your above post. This wasn't meant to be demeaning, just trying to point out the type of thinking. If the way I came across was rude, I apologize.

stumper1620
01-16-2005, 08:23 PM
Sorry for the interruption, I won't continue this discussion here.
J&M,
I am in total agreement with your above post. This wasn't meant to be demeaning, just trying to point out the type of thinking. If the way I came across was rude, I apologize.

I for one don't mind catching into a session like yours, i tend to agree there is always a way for improvement (continuous improvement programs are very popular in businesses these days) you know even from your little Tiff or rift or whatever it was i still gained a little from between the lines. this is a good thing.
just don't high jack the thread.
just my .03 cents

grass-scapes
01-17-2005, 12:52 PM
There is a us lawns franchise here in Greensboro. They moved from another smaller town where he obviously wasn't making any money. I sub from another national company. Dentco. They are ok. They tell me a price on a property and ask if I want it at that price. Give me all the specs on them, etc. As long as I follow the specs, I get paid on the property. I have 5 in this area, and they are the big box and national chain types. They have all the Targets, Best Buys, and other national chains nationwide.

I know they make money off the work I do, but thats the way business is done. I make money, they make money. I could make more working directly for those properties, but I don't have the clout that Dentco does.

rodfather
01-17-2005, 12:56 PM
I know they make money off the work I do, but thats the way business is done. I make money, they make money. I could make more working directly for those properties, but I don't have the clout that Dentco does.

Sounds like a decent arrangement...you just can't be everything to everyone. Period.

scottt
01-17-2005, 01:39 PM
Grass-scapes,
Can you give us a little more information about Dentco?

grass-scapes
01-17-2005, 01:54 PM
Sure. Go to www.dentco.com Click on contract partners and read. They are friendly and easy to work with....Unless you do sloppy work. They fired a guy who had hundreds of accounts with them for falsifying paperwork on a couple of their sites. The check behind you and keep you on your toes. You will work with an area manager who works with you and the other Contract Partners in your area. They require you to carry lots of insurance (which you should anyway) so be aware of that.

Give em a call and see what they say.

ps. Downside is payment is net 45 unless you accept a percentage "fee" to get paid early. the reason is that dentco has to get paid for you to get paid. if they pay you before they get it, they charge you. I take the net 45 but never had trouble getting paid.

Mr. C
01-18-2005, 10:29 AM
I run on about 67% profit margin. That is way above avg. Yes i came here to learn. Here's what i have learned on LawnSite. Most don't charge a good rate for the srevice work and never carry workers comp, Lib, lic. When i post it's to teach LCOs here how to run and build there co and what to stay away from.

J&R I'm one of the guys you just described. Can you help me out with serveral questions? Hell I just want to get to a 30% profit margin for now. I'll give you my email address if you need it.