PDA

View Full Version : ever clearcoat bottom of the deck

grass disaster
12-22-2004, 06:57 PM
has one ever tried to spray the bottom with some type of clearcoat, maybe silocone.

it sure would be cool to get it chromed

PR Fect
12-22-2004, 07:01 PM
Yes, just did last month before we tucked them away for the winter. Cleaned and washed, dried, then sprayed with silicone.

grass disaster
12-22-2004, 07:03 PM
just looking for ways to save some time cleaning the darn thing. i wonder how long that stuff would stay on there.

PR Fect
12-22-2004, 07:36 PM
My guess, all winter, till we do the first clean up. But the deck should be rust free so that should help in keeping it clean next year.

Fareway Lawncare
12-22-2004, 07:40 PM
try some Boeshield...it's one Bad Azz Spray Lube...Lasts.

http://boeshield.com/index.htm

grass disaster
12-22-2004, 11:43 PM
i'm not worried about the rust i just want something so the grass doesn't stick, thanks.

PMLAWN
12-23-2004, 04:10 AM
Lighter fluid, (charcoal), Just put it into a spray bottle and hit the bottom of the deck once a week and the grass will fall off.
Dealer told me about this as he used it on the demo units so when they sold them they were clean. Just don't smoke while doing it.

Fareway Lawncare
12-23-2004, 09:42 AM
Spraying your Deck w/Lighter Fluid...Now that Sounds like a Geat Idea !!!!

moremowing4me
12-23-2004, 10:20 AM
No silicone but we have rhino liner sprayed on them about once every two years or so

PR Fect
12-23-2004, 02:50 PM
MM4ME, does the grass stick to the sprayed on liner?

PMLAWN
12-23-2004, 05:10 PM
Fareway--I too was surprized by the lighter fluid but dealer told me about it. He said that they had a product out a few years ago that worked and they stoped making it so the dealer called the maker and they said most of the stuff in it was the same as lighter fluid. Once it dries it is not flammable and it is the oil's in it that keeps the grass from sticking.
I use it each time I change blades (almost daily) and the grass does not build up.

moremowing4me
12-27-2004, 09:02 AM
MM4ME, does the grass stick to the sprayed on liner?
A little but not as bad as without it and it really protects the deck. We have a lot of sand around here.

out4now
12-27-2004, 12:11 PM
Someone suggested using PAM cooking spray in another thread, never tried it myself but it wouldn't cost much.

ealbertson
12-27-2004, 03:01 PM
I used Pam spray before, but it didn't help for more than maybe one yard. It wasn't a great help even on the first yard. It works great in the kitchen though.

PR Fect
12-27-2004, 06:05 PM
Ed, the Pam works well on the hedge trimmers too!

mowhigh
12-27-2004, 11:11 PM
Fareway, any idea how Boeshield compares to SlipPlate or EZ-Slide? My JD dealer just started carrying one of them.

Smithers
12-27-2004, 11:40 PM
can't you use KY Jelly? :p :p :p :p

j/k

I was sure that PAM would not work. Would not stick long. But i bet using WB 40 will stick longer. that's what they put on the railings when they dont want birds to land on them - WB 40.

there are a lot of similar greasing agents out there.

Rhino Liner would be a great idea, but have to leave the mower at their dealer.

ATL Lawn
09-21-2006, 09:38 AM
would using COPPER work?

MarkintheGarden
09-21-2006, 09:46 AM
can't you use KY Jelly? :p :p :p :p

j/k

I was sure that PAM would not work. Would not stick long. But i bet using WB 40 will stick longer. that's what they put on the railings when they dont want birds to land on them - WB 40.

there are a lot of similar greasing agents out there.

Rhino Liner would be a great idea, but have to leave the mower at their dealer.

Do you mean WD 40? thats what I use, WD 40 sprayed every blade sharpening helps keep it clean.

Dano50
09-21-2006, 11:13 AM
Hey Guys,

Try coating your deck with Fluid Film (http://www.eurekafluidfilm.com). It's going to last a heck of a lot longer than WD-40, lighter fluid?:eek:, silicone, Boeshield or any other lubricant out there. It will last a COMPLETE winter keeping that deck protected and when used on a regular basis will really help keep grass from clumping.

With NO SOLVENTS, Fluid Film will not evaporate or get gummy or sticky, which is what happens to solvent based lubricants after they evaporate. With a unique lanolin base Fluid Film remains super slick, imbeds into the pores of metal, resists water wash off and stops corrosion from grasses, fertilizers, pesticides and moisture.

Hey, don't take my word for it. If you've never tried Fluid Film and live within the Continental United Sates, put it to the test on us. Just write me (dwilliams@eurekafluidfilm.com)for your free sample today. Don't forget to mention that you are a LawnSite member. If you don't, chances are you're email will get put in the junk pile.:cry:

underPSI
10-13-2009, 10:07 PM
Sorry to bust on Fluid Film but I wasn't impressed with the stuff at all. I actually had better resistance from grass sticking to the underside of the deck by spraying it with WD-40. The problem with WD-40 is it didn't last long. With Fluid Film the grass clogged like nothing was even sprayed on there but I do understand that's not the purpose of F/F. But one thing I do know is F/F does not prevent grass from sticking.
I was actually searching the term "Boeshield" when I came upon this thread. I was going to make a new thread to let people know that I used Boeshield on my mower and the stuff is amazing. Even though I did have a little buildup the grass fell right off just by hosing it off with a garden hose at the end of the day from cutting wet grass. I have never had clumped up grass come off that easily. One month later and I'm still getting the same results. The deck looks like it has never even seen a blade of grass just by hosing it off.

Razorblades
10-13-2009, 10:19 PM
Sorry to bust on Fluid Film but I wasn't impressed with the stuff at all. I actually had better resistance from grass sticking to the underside of the deck by spraying it with WD-40. The problem with WD-40 is it didn't last long. With Fluid Film the grass clogged like nothing was even sprayed on there but I do understand that's not the purpose of F/F. But one thing I do know is F/F does not prevent grass from sticking.
I was actually searching the term "Boeshield" when I came upon this thread. I was going to make a new thread to let people know that I used Boeshield on my mower and the stuff is amazing. Even though I did have a little buildup the grass fell right off just by hosing it off with a garden hose at the end of the day from cutting wet grass. I have never had clumped up grass come off that easily. One month later and I'm still getting the same results. The deck looks like it has never even seen a blade of grass just by hosing it off.

which of their products did you use and do you know what outlets it is available?

DLAWNS
10-13-2009, 10:41 PM
Fluid Film is the best stuff for this. Hands down...I use it on all my mowers. It definitely keeps grass from sticking and my deck looks like it's new. The only time I get any buildup is if you're cutting super saturated grass and then as soon as you touch it the stuff falls off easily. I also use it on hedge trimmers, trimmers, edgers....it reduces buildup on the heads of the trimmer and edger. The best part is that it will never hurt grass or shrubs like other products can. Just make sure you follow the application instructions and there's no reason it shouldn't work for ya.

grassman177
10-13-2009, 10:51 PM
this is a resurected thread to say the least. i have tried to coat the bottom of our decks before and nothing lasts long enough to put in the effort to keep it crazy clean in order for the stuff to work by getting it to bare paint or metal. just too much time for what is was ever worth.

DLAWNS
10-13-2009, 11:01 PM
I didn't even notice the date. That is one old thread.

underPSI
10-14-2009, 09:52 AM
I didn't even notice the date. That is one old thread.

Well, I didn't see a purpose on creating a new thread when a similar thread with other information was available that I could add to.

Fluid Film is the best stuff for this. Hands down...I use it on all my mowers. It definitely keeps grass from sticking and my deck looks like it's new. The only time I get any buildup is if you're cutting super saturated grass and then as soon as you touch it the stuff falls off easily. I also use it on hedge trimmers, trimmers, edgers....it reduces buildup on the heads of the trimmer and edger. The best part is that it will never hurt grass or shrubs like other products can. Just make sure you follow the application instructions and there's no reason it shouldn't work for ya.

I did try Fluid Film and I did follow the manufacturer's application recommendation. It did nothing for me. Absolutely nothing. Like I previously stated I had better luck with WD-40. How are you applying it? Maybe you are doing something different that I should try.

which of their products did you use and do you know what outlets it is available?

I bought a can of Boeshield T-9. I initially saw it at Sears but they wanted $20 for one aerosol can. I ordered it from Ebay for $12 for the same can with free shipping.

Here's a link to the product page.
http://www.boeshield.com/why/why_t9.php

1st class grass
10-14-2009, 12:29 PM
I too have heard the lighter fluid idea...It does work...No joke.And like stated once its dry its not flamable..

grass disaster
10-14-2009, 08:50 PM
wow 2004

this has to be one of my early threads, :walking:

MileHigh
10-14-2009, 08:51 PM
Resurrection huh.

Wow...I really wanna try the lighter fluid thing.

Oh, and Fluid Film makes it worse....for me at least.

Smithers
10-20-2009, 03:01 PM
i got my free can back then. it was good. nothing "earth shattering", but did the job.

never used it for the deck though because the sample can was tiny.

dishboy
10-20-2009, 05:18 PM
Resurrection huh.

Wow...I really wanna try the lighter fluid thing.

Oh, and Fluid Film makes it worse....for me at least.

Fluid film was pretty much a waste of time for me.

Greg78
10-20-2009, 07:04 PM
Fluid film was pretty much a waste of time for me.

Same here. Was good for other stuff but not under the deck. When I put it on a clean deck and cut early morning wet yards I had just as much clumping and sticking to the deck as when I didn't apply anything. After a day it was gone anyways from all the sand.

joslawn33
10-20-2009, 10:48 PM
John deere slip plate spray works great.:weightlifter:

zman2307
10-20-2009, 11:57 PM
I wonder how the Rhino holds up. I heard that gravestone engravers use templates cut out of rubber because rubber withstands the abrasives. I would think Rhino, being more of a rubbery liner, would withstand it better than a harder liner like Line-X.