PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys care about the resale value before buying equipment?

CharlieBingo
12-22-2004, 07:24 PM
Like a lot of you guys I've owned or ran almost every machine from Exmark ZTR's to Makita Trimmers. We all know there comes a day when we sell this stuff; off brands, we have to give them away, yet Exmarks, Scags & Redmax we can recoup a bit of our original cost. My question is do you guys ever factor in the re sale value of your equip. when purchasing? I think we should?

LLandscaping
12-22-2004, 07:34 PM
We really dont we just use the machine and do good maintenance. When the cost to fix the machine it greater than the machine is worth we will probably sell it. Hopefully we will get 2,000 hours out of our ZTRs before major stuff starts to break.

coastallandscapesolutions
12-22-2004, 07:38 PM
Like a lot of you guys I've owned or ran almost every machine from Exmark ZTR's to Makita Trimmers. We all know there comes a day when we sell this stuff; off brands, we have to give them away, yet Exmarks, Scags & Redmax we can recoup a bit of our original cost. My question is do you guys ever factor in the re sale value of your equip. when purchasing? I think we should?

No. We want the right equipment for the job.

muddstopper
12-22-2004, 07:41 PM
I never consider resale value. I depreciate the equipment for tax purposes and run it till its worn out. If the equipment sells for more than residual value I end up having to report it as income anyways.

DennisF
12-22-2004, 07:46 PM
When I'm finished with my equipment, it has no resale value.

YardPro
12-22-2004, 08:24 PM
nope, by the time we're done with them, they are all about shot and not much in resale value.

JimLewis
12-22-2004, 08:26 PM
When I'm finished with my equipment, it has no resale value.

Ditto that.

I could care less how much the equipment will sell for. When I buy it, the only think I care about is 1) How well will it last and hold up to abuse and 2) How much does it cost - in that order.

Before I buy anything, I already plan to run it into the ground.

Then we bury it in our used equipment graveyard. I stihl go by old "edgie's" gravestone now and then and pour some 2 cycle oil on the ground for him.

olderthandirt
12-22-2004, 09:25 PM
I always considered it, but I trade my equipment every 2-3 yrs. This way allows me to run new equipment which cuts down the maintenance time and cost. Plus with fewer hrs I get a lot more money at trade in time if its good equipment to begin with.

Mac

CharlieBingo
12-22-2004, 10:17 PM
I run equip. for 2-3 years then turn it over. No local dealers take tradeins so I have to sell it on my own. Therefore resale for me matters. I can sell Exmarks in a couple of days but a Lesco or Yazoo/Kees is a tough sell they're great machines, but don't move too well. I can't see running equip into the ground repairs and downtime are a killer!

lawnguyland
12-22-2004, 11:03 PM
What I do is use equipment until it is not worth fixing, but maybe still works fine (or is kaput). Then I buy a new one of say a 21" commercial toro mower. Now I have the new one and the old one as a back-up if it works or a parts machine if it's dead. By now I have 3 commercial toros. one is newer, one is older but works and is a back-up and the third has one wheel left, no gas cap, many parts stripped. So, no in many many years I've never sold one thing. I just keep buying more of the same. I like interchangeable parts!

MudslinginFX4
12-22-2004, 11:49 PM
Ditto that.

I could care less how much the equipment will sell for. When I buy it, the only think I care about is 1) How well will it last and hold up to abuse and 2) How much does it cost - in that order.

Before I buy anything, I already plan to run it into the ground.

Then we bury it in our used equipment graveyard. I stihl go by old "edgie's" gravestone now and then and pour some 2 cycle oil on the ground for him.

Exactly, I couldn't agree with you 2 more!

Travis Followell
12-23-2004, 09:52 AM
We run our equipment until its wore out junk and then go buy new equipment. We never consider resale value. We just buy what we need.

Mo Green
12-24-2004, 05:52 PM
I think I'm more concerned with how long it will last.

65hoss
12-24-2004, 10:24 PM
I don't really concern myself with resale either. I want years from them. I examine all the long term dollars of a machine that it will produce. I find the right piece for our market niche.

Smithers
12-24-2004, 10:32 PM
i dont care about the resale value. i buy because its good quality. if i ever have to trade it, go back to my Exmark dealer and trade it in.

CharlieBingo
12-25-2004, 10:29 AM
Most times the highest quality machine commands the highest resale value. My observation!