PDA

View Full Version : Leaf Clean up

U grow it... I'll mow it
12-22-2004, 07:42 PM
Today I did a leaf clean up and charged a $150.00. Thinking that price was to low and would take forever 6 hours to be exact. $25 a hour is not bad, but I feel like every time I do a leaf job I'm not making enough money for the work. What should i charge? I did not have to carry the leaves away.

locutus
12-22-2004, 08:08 PM
I wouldn't have touched that for less than $240.00. Optimally I would have charged $300.00. Depends on what I had going on at the time. You are not making enough money for your time, but then again, its all relative aint it?

coastallandscapesolutions
12-22-2004, 08:10 PM
Trying charging $60 per hour. You will get some and lose some. When they say no thank you you can think "next".

the scaper
12-22-2004, 08:16 PM
That sounds kinda low friend. Theres alot of things to consider such as the probable income class of the area you're in, amount of competition, your overhead and such. I'm sure others on this board can probably give you a better answer but for me , if I dont end up at $75- $100 per hour for me and one helper I consider it a loser job. Lawnsite is a good place to get ideas. Good luck!

locutus
12-22-2004, 08:20 PM
I just assumed he was working solo. If he wasn't, he got skint if you know what I mean.

Gene $immons
12-22-2004, 08:21 PM
It all depends on what the job costs YOU. Figure in all of your expenses, and consider what equipment you are using. Don't be afraid to include a PROFIT for yourself, that is the whole idea.

I have done quick clean-ups for $40.00 and this year we had a major clean-up for $3500.00. My biggest expense is always employees. I like to charge $40.00 per man per hour for leaf removal plus any expenses that we run into. Sometimes they say "forget it", thats OK, my regular customers don't even ask for a price, they just want it done.

RedWingsDet
12-22-2004, 08:24 PM
I charge $35-$45 for a 10x10 tarp. Ill be at a house for 45 min and charge $300.

With the tarp method, it works well, you dont lolligag as much as if you were going hourly, also sense your hustleing trying to get more tarps done, you have time to fit more jobs into your schedule.

Try it, you'll be amazed how well it works!

the scaper
12-22-2004, 08:36 PM
I just assumed he was working solo. If he wasn't, he got skint if you know what I mean.
I think you're most definitely right.

U grow it... I'll mow it
12-22-2004, 08:42 PM
I was working solo. For me it always seems everyone wants a break on leaf work and I dont understand it. The first thing this lady said to me was she was a single mom and she did have alot of money, but she lives in a $250,000 house.

Gene $immons
12-22-2004, 08:48 PM
You should of told her that its not your fault that she got pregnant. lol

the scaper
12-22-2004, 08:51 PM
I only give breaks to people who are giving me one , so that usually puts us on the same playing field. What type of equipment are you using?

locutus
12-22-2004, 09:00 PM
I was working solo. For me it always seems everyone wants a break on leaf work and I dont understand it. The first thing this lady said to me was she was a single mom and she did have alot of money, but she lives in a $250,000 house.This kind of crap is almost always a lie. I had a client, whom I found out later was a real estate agent, tell me she was on a fixed income. She now pays premium prices for her lawncare.

coastallandscapesolutions
12-22-2004, 09:07 PM
Check out this thread

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=91060

zmowing
12-22-2004, 09:08 PM
In the day I would rake a small yard all day 6 to 8 Hrs. for $ 250.00. Now I have big blowers to blow the leafs to the dumb truck then suck them into the truck gone, in less than a hour. Why do they ***** ? same job just less time for me.

the scaper
12-22-2004, 09:21 PM
This kind of crap is almost always a lie. I had a client, whom I found out later was a real estate agent, tell me she was on a fixed income. She now pays premium prices for her lawncare.
All of my customers pay a premium price, if not, they're not my customers for long. I give them a premium on time service though, I can honestly say that I can count this years complaints on one hand!!

Wil22
12-23-2004, 10:17 AM
I had a customer call and ask me to give a quote on his yard and two other homes. He told me to plan on spending the day. I'll go back to see him today and I'll give him a price of 560.00 for my time This is my first winter and I'm trying to get a feel for it.

I figure me and a helper 8 hrs X 70.00 per hour. If I get it good if not.. next.

the scaper
12-23-2004, 11:02 AM
I had a customer call and ask me to give a quote on his yard and two other homes. He told me to plan on spending the day. I'll go back to see him today and I'll give him a price of 560.00 for my time This is my first winter and I'm trying to get a feel for it.

I figure me and a helper 8 hrs X 70.00 per hour. If I get it good if not.. next.
I wouldnt rely on what the customer said about the amount of time. I've had people who thought I was going to be there most of the day, then I'd pull up with my equipment and helper and be finished in an hour and a half. They seem to have a visualization of a rake and a wheel barrow or something. My technique is quite differant. I'm not sure if one could command those kind of prices if he were using a yard rake but when they see expensive equipment shoving heaping piles of wet leaves accross the yard they pretty much know they're gonna have to come off with some green!

all degree
12-23-2004, 11:26 AM
I charge $35-$45 for a 10x10 tarp. Ill be at a house for 45 min and charge $300.

With the tarp method, it works well, you dont lolligag as much as if you were going hourly, also sense your hustleing trying to get more tarps done, you have time to fit more jobs into your schedule.

Try it, you'll be amazed how well it works!

You must be superman!

$300/45 per tarp =6.6 tarps 45min/6.6tarps=one tarp every 6.8 minutes.

So you blow the leaves into piles and then tarp them out almost 7 times in 45 minutes?

Dude thats pretty good!

I can tell you that if I had 600sqft of leaves to clean up and then tarp out it would take me at least 4 hours. I would charge $75/hr and make that same $300.

RedWingsDet
12-23-2004, 06:49 PM
You must be superman!

$300/45 per tarp =6.6 tarps 45min/6.6tarps=one tarp every 6.8 minutes.

So you blow the leaves into piles and then tarp them out almost 7 times in 45 minutes?

Dude thats pretty good!

I can tell you that if I had 600sqft of leaves to clean up and then tarp out it would take me at least 4 hours. I would charge $75/hr and make that same $300.

I put the blower on my back, my worker has a blower in his back, we make the piles, then we grab the tarp and rakes and rake the leaves on the tarp and then dump em in the truck. Works AWSOME!

Try it, I made some serious cash this fall using that method.

Reason I dont charge hourly is that it seems like you d!ck around more, where you can charge by the tarp, hustle, and then have that much more time for other leaf clean up jobs!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps, and I hope you try it!!!