PDA

View Full Version : Edger????

ashs inc
12-22-2004, 08:06 PM
I am looking for a new edger. I love the idea of the straight shaft of the stihl. But do i get the FC 85 or the FC 110? I dont know which is better? The 110 is 50 bucks more. Is it worth it?

THANKS

DUKE

Lazer_Z
12-22-2004, 08:10 PM
Duke,I was in the same boat as you over the summer. I looked at just about every stick edger out and finally after much research bought the FC110 and it was worth every penny. It is a powerful machine to say the least.

What other models have you been looking at besides STIHL?

Lawnchoice
12-22-2004, 08:12 PM
Quick question not to get off the thread topic though !

Have you guys tried using a trimmer backwards to maintain the edge? This is what I have been doing for over ten years now and it works great. Obviously you need a nice cut edge in the spring that you can keep up throughout the season. This is provided by a Turfco Edge-R-Rite.

Do you think the stick edger is quicker than my method????

ashs inc
12-22-2004, 08:26 PM
I have looked at every edger out there. I love Echo equipment. But they feel like they have gotten weaker the new and more emission control is involved. I also like Red Max. I dont have a dealer close to me. I have a shindaiwa eb 600 blower that went in a pool with an employee this summer. I drained it and it cranked right up. SO i like all kinds i have a 7 year old Stihl fc 85 trimmer that i love. So i was going to move to stihl edger because of the straight shaft and the open edger blade! NO mud getting caught in the blade housing. Just didnt know if the 110 was worth the extra money or will the 85 do the trick. It feels lighter!

DUKE

splatz100
12-22-2004, 08:39 PM
how much does the 85 cost??

Lazer_Z
12-22-2004, 08:40 PM
Quick question not to get off the thread topic though !

Have you guys tried using a trimmer back wards to maintain the edge? This is what I have been doing for over ten years now and it works great. Obviously you need a nice cut edge in the spring that you can keep up throughout the season. This is provided by a Turfco Edge-R-Rite.

Do you think the stick edger is quicker than my method????

Lawn to answer you question yes I have tried the trimmer method but, it did not give me what I was after. I was after a nice deep,clean,sharp looking edge and the FC110 has given me that and some. I also like it because I can add on attachments like a hedge trimmer for example.

But, Yes it has it's draw backs such as an extra trip to the truck and back.But all in all I could not be happier with it.

ashs inc
12-22-2004, 08:42 PM
FC 85 $350 plus TAX
FC 110 $399 Plus TAX

Lazer_Z
12-22-2004, 08:45 PM
I have looked at every edger out there. I love Echo equipment. But they feel like they have gotten weaker the new and more emission control is involved. I also like Red Max. I don't have a dealer close to me. I have a shindaiwa eb 600 blower that went in a pool with an employee this summer. I drained it and it cranked right up. SO i like all kinds i have a 7 year old Stihl fc 85 trimmer that i love. So i was going to move to stihl edger because of the straight shaft and the open edger blade! NO mud getting caught in the blade housing. Just didn't know if the 110 was worth the extra money or will the 85 do the trick. It feels lighter!

DUKE

Duke, The main reason I went Stihl is the straight shaft. I can take the machine and stand it up so I can access a tight spot.Now try that with a curved shaft model. I actually have 2 reason 1 is the straight shaft #2 is I have a great dealer and already have a Stihl saw so I already knew Sthil had a good reputation.

captaingreen
12-22-2004, 09:29 PM
I have a Stihl:
FS 85
FC 110
handheld blower
hedge trimmers
chainsaw
I'm very happy with all my Stihl tools and have an excellent dealer. I also have a friend in the tree business, he uses all Stihl and loves it.
If you can afford it I would go with the 110, you can get a trimmer head for it in the future if you ever wanted to switch. My first FS 85 began as a brushcutter, then a edger, and lastly a trimmer- stihl runs great!

sildoc
12-23-2004, 11:55 AM
I have the FS 85 trimmer and The FC 110 edger. The 110 is definitely more powerfull and the 110 uses less fuel. The 50 bucks is negligible when you look at the amount of fuel you put through these in the edgers lifetime. Good luck and I recommend spending the extra 50 smakeroos.

ashs inc
12-23-2004, 09:30 PM
thanks sildoc

I was thinking that the 110 saved fuel. I really appreciate all of the responces!!!

jhawk71
12-23-2004, 10:54 PM
Over the summer I was considering the same thing as you. After reading on lawnsite, many members said that the 85 didn't have the power needed to break in a new edge. So I went with a 110. This past season I broke in a few new edges and had no problem what so ever with the 110, it would hardly even bog down.

But I have one question for you, do you currently have an edger. If you don't currently have one I would go with the 110, just because it has more power for those times you need to break in a edge. If you already have one, and its a push I would use the puch for break ins and the 85 for weekly maintenance. Because generally speaking push edgers have more power.

Hope this helps
Jhawk71

Smithers
12-23-2004, 11:43 PM
Over the summer I was considering the same thing as you. After reading on lawnsite, many members said that the 85 didn't have the power needed to break in a new edge. So I went with a 110. This past season I broke in a few new edges and had no problem what so ever with the 110, it would hardly even bog down.

But I have one question for you, do you currently have an edger. If you don't currently have one I would go with the 110, just because it has more power for those times you need to break in a edge. If you already have one, and its a push I would use the puch for break ins and the 85 for weekly maintenance. Because generally speaking push edgers have more power.

Hope this helps
Jhawk71

I couldn't agree more.....i have the 85 and it is tough to break in a new edge (I HATE IT)....but after the first time it's a breeze......oh yeah.....it's clogging up every 2.5 feet if it's wet too. horrible. i am even considering cutting a portion of the guard so that it does not get clogged so much.

ashs inc, if you dont have a dealer close by....call Travis at the Landscape supply store - sponsor.

Has anyone used a blade with more than two edges for breaking in the spring edging? There are 4 corner blades on the market. i was wondering how they work.

ashs inc
12-24-2004, 09:24 AM
I have 3 older echo pe 2400. They run like a top. Little tuffer to break in a new edge but great for weekly maintenance. Me and My guys dont like the way it gets clogged!!!!! They suck then you have to use a screwdriver to unclog it. SO when i saw the Stihl with the open guard I loved the Idea. I hated to purchase one when i have three that work great! So I think i am just going to bite the bullet and get the FC 110! Thanks for the replies!!!