PDA

View Full Version : its a wonder that lesco is still in bidness!

Norm Al
12-22-2004, 09:32 PM
CLEVELAND, Dec. 21 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- LESCO, Inc. (Nasdaq: LSCO), a leading provider of products for the professional green and pest control industries, today announced that the Company will record an approximately $5.2 million charge during the fourth quarter ending December 31, 2004 related to a contract with a supplier.

In November 2002, LESCO and its supplier entered into a five-year supply agreement, which obligated LESCO to purchase annually 8,000 tons of methylene urea fertilizer at a fixed conversion cost of $500/ton plus the prevailing commodities market prices. In the professional green industry, the primary use of methylene urea fertilizer is in the golf market. Due to various issues, including the tepid state of the golf industry, LESCO has been challenged to sell its commitment of 8,000 tons, and has resorted to aggressive promotions and inventory write-downs to liquidate the product. As disclosed in the Company's third quarter Form 10-Q, LESCO notified its supplier in October 2004 that it intended to cease performing under the agreement. After unproductive settlement negotiations, the Company opted to invoke judicial assistance to determine its liability. On November 29, 2004, LESCO filed a declaratory judgment action against its supplier in the Court of Common Pleas in Cuyahoga County, Ohio to ask the court to determine the Company's liability to the supplier.

The approximate $5.2 million charge includes the Company's estimated costs related to the discontinuation of the contract of $2.2 million, forgiveness of a note receivable of $1.3 million, the markdown of inventory value of discontinued methylene urea products of approximately $1.0 million and miscellaneous costs of approximately $0.7 million. LESCO has secured an alternative, lower-cost source of methylene urea fertilizer. The alternative source does not require a tonnage commitment. The Company anticipates that these actions will result in annual savings of over $2 million.

Norm Al
12-22-2004, 09:34 PM
going to spend 5 million to save 2 million per year?

Gene $immons
12-22-2004, 09:37 PM
I was just complaining about Lesco's prices the other day. I Needed to buy a round-up generic product and bought some of their Prosecutor for $115.00 for 2.5 gallons. (1/2 case)

Another chemical supplier had Glyphosate (same thing) for 65.00 for 2 - jugs
(full case)

you know where I'll be shopping.

riches139
12-22-2004, 09:47 PM
Alot of their equipment seems to be overpriced also. :realmad:

richard coffman
12-22-2004, 09:52 PM
[QUOTE=Gene $immons]I was just complaining about Lesco's prices the other day. I Needed to buy a round-up generic product and bought some of their Prosecutor for $115.00 for 2.5 gallons. (1/2 case)

Another chemical supplier had Glyphosate (same thing) for 65.00 for 2 - jugs
(full case)

you know where I'll be shopping.[/QUOTE

I've bought a lot from lesco over the years in chemical and fertilizers, would you send me the info on the other supplier you've found, would like to save my company some money.

Respectfully,

Richard/Owner

Fvstringpicker
12-22-2004, 09:52 PM
Actually, they are really just recognizing and writing off cost they have already incurred. They probably booked a liability as a deferred expense for the value of the contract and now they are charging the whole thing to this years expenses because it went sour. From the information, they are expensing the decreased value of the inventory and recognizing other related expenses related to the sour deal in the current year. It's basically an accounting entry but watch their stock take a hit. They are reducing their earnings per share for the quarter and the year.

Norm Al
12-22-2004, 10:04 PM
Pro Source has some awesome prices!

wanabe
12-22-2004, 11:56 PM
Urea for $500 a ton? If that is the case, I can get them all they need! Never has been over $225 a ton here.

Norm Al
12-23-2004, 12:12 AM
thats what i was thinkin too,,,,,,who the &&^% wrote that deal for them?

lawnmechanix
01-10-2005, 10:54 AM
I encourage all LCO out there, big or small to stop dealing with lesco and find a new supplier. I am sick of there price increases and there shitty no knowledge employee's.

Grassmechanic
01-10-2005, 11:16 AM
Urea for $500 a ton? If that is the case, I can get them all they need! Never has been over $225 a ton here.
There's quite a bit of difference between urea and methylene urea.

richard coffman
01-10-2005, 03:15 PM
here in the salt lake city, utah area, lesco hasn't been bad at all working with. i can't really agree with there prices being what they are, but there isn't too many rescouces i can find in my area with better prices.

Turf Technologies
01-10-2005, 06:43 PM
I encourage all LCO out there, big or small to stop dealing with lesco and find a new supplier. I am sick of there price increases and there shitty no knowledge employee's.

Yeah thats a real good idea, dumb ass! In more areas Lesco is the only supplier. Plus, they have just about everything you need on there shelves.We drive 45 mins to Lesco, no one in my area sells product like they have.

grass-scapes
01-11-2005, 07:17 PM
We have a lesco and 2 other suppliers here in town... All are on the same side of town.....the other side....LOL. They all have prices nearly the same. Whats funny is that when I go to lesco, if their price is higher than the "other guy", they come down to match their price. Im talking like 2 bucks per 50 lb bag. shows what their markup is on this stuff.

DUSTYCEDAR
01-13-2005, 12:19 AM
i like lesco they have what i want
they r always open and can get me anything i want
they take real good care of me