PDA

View Full Version : Ever park in a customers drive

pjslawncare/landscap
12-22-2004, 08:46 PM
ever had to do it because of lack of street parking. Anyone ever complained?

Gene $immons
12-22-2004, 08:55 PM
The other day, we were spraying a lawn and had to back up in the customers driveway so the hose would reach all the way in the back. Nobody is ever home at this place. WRONG, as soon as we get going, the garage door opens up and their kid was needing to get out. We had to quickly roll up the hose, and move the truck and trailer so he could get his car out. He was not mad though.

mtdman
12-22-2004, 08:56 PM
Not if I can help it. There's only one driveway I park in, but it's a turn around drive and I have to park there because the street is busy. Everywhere else I park on the street.

Wells
12-22-2004, 08:59 PM
I only have to do it with one residential account due to lack of street parking on both sides (very narrow road). I don't like to do it but in this case I have no other options.

I made sure that it was alright with the homeowner before I ever did it and the only problem it has ever caused is once in a while someone will need to pull a car out of the garage and I will have to stop working to move the truck. Other than that no complaints.

The one thing that I recommend never doing is parking your vehicle in someones driveway if it was leaking any fluids, especially oil.

richard coffman
12-22-2004, 09:00 PM
I'll keep of the customers driveway with my truck and trailer as a rule, don't want them to come back at me and say that i broke something or made a mark in the driveway. allways better safe than sorry.

locutus
12-22-2004, 09:05 PM
Only if I have to, I.E. people parked all along the curb in front of a clients house.

brinlee lawn
12-22-2004, 09:08 PM
I cant think of any that I have to park in the drive.

Smithers
12-22-2004, 09:18 PM
i have never parked in their driveway, unless i go to tell them something, while i keep the engine running. i dont think it looks good if you park close to their house to cut the grass.

and besides...once you cut, it's a *_&^%#%$ to blow the grass clippings from under the truck/trailer too.

grass_cuttin_fool
12-22-2004, 09:22 PM
About all I cut are in the country and about all have gravel for a drive way, In the townI have 2 that I cut that I park on the street . Here if you park out on the road there would be wrecks because there is no where to pull over unless its a driveway

jtkplc
12-22-2004, 09:25 PM
there's one i have to, it's on a 4 lane road thats very busy all day. it's fun trying to back into with people trying to get around you.

Sooners
12-23-2004, 12:02 AM
PARK?! I have one customer that I have to take off my shoes (with black soles) just to walk on her driveway! I supposedly left a black mark from my shoes on her new concrete drive. And they can't get it off! I saw her wearing white walking shoes and asked if it would be OK if I wore mine on her precious drive and she agreed.

By the way. GO SOONERS!! Right Gene?

Branchland
12-23-2004, 05:10 AM
We have a couple because they're on a busy road with nowhere to pull off. Don't like doing it but if theres nothing else you can do then all well.

Richard Martin
12-23-2004, 06:51 AM
I have 2 that I park in. One is on a busy highway and I'm not leaving my rig out there and the second one has a driveway of over 400 feet. The entire driveway is as wide as a street road so it's no big deal.

Gene $immons
12-23-2004, 09:47 AM
PARK?! I have one customer that I have to take off my shoes (with black soles) just to walk on her driveway!

Thats crazy man, what does she paint her car tires white?

I sure hope OU wins. Do you like the Razorbacks?

Mo Green
12-24-2004, 05:54 PM
I have one. The street is barely big enough for two small cars to pass each other. Customer has never complained.

Liberty Lawncare2
12-24-2004, 11:58 PM
I park in the drive of most of my residential jobs.I have never had any complaints. That way my number is visable to people driving bye.Plus where some of my jobs are ,if i parked in the street my equipment might not be there when i go in the back yard. :)

lawnworker
12-25-2004, 09:49 AM
PARK?! I have one customer that I have to take off my shoes (with black soles) just to walk on her driveway! I supposedly left a black mark from my shoes on her new concrete drive. And they can't get it off! I saw her wearing white walking shoes and asked if it would be OK if I wore mine on her precious drive and she agreed.

I would do a nice burnout with the mower tires and tell this lady to kiss A$$ and find someone else to do her. :waving:

JustMowIt
12-25-2004, 11:28 AM
That is just one of the reasons we do not use trailers. We do not service many high end customers where all cars are in the garage. Also, Post Office complains if the mailbox is blocked. See Our Truck (http://www.justmowit.com/our_fleet.htm)

crawdad
12-25-2004, 02:28 PM
That is just one of the reasons we do not use trailers. We do not service many high end customers where all cars are in the garage. Also, Post Office complains if the mailbox is blocked. See Our Truck (http://www.justmowit.com/our_fleet.htm)

A mail-lady told me that she would only deliver mail if she could pull up to the mailboxes,the insurance company didn't allow her to back up. Sounds like BS to me, I'd say it was a union or something that made that rule. Funny thing is, I later saw her back all the way down a long driveway at the same place she had told me of this "rule."
Hey, justmowit, I like those trucks of yours. I don't use a trailer, either. My Scag WB fits nicely into an F150, along with all the tools needed.
I often park in the driveways, that's what they're for!
Crawdad

pjslawncare/landscap
12-25-2004, 07:50 PM
Just mow it, Excelent truck fleet you got and I like the idea of no trailers. How come you dont have your trucks lettered? I saw a Mitsubishi truck with a ramp bed like the one in your pictures before at a store I was at, so I went and talked to the owner. He showed me the power gate lift setup and its sharp turning radius. I was pritty impressed with it. I would like to add a truck setup like that in the future for just such occasions (small yards on tight streets)

YardPro
12-25-2004, 08:50 PM
only if we need to, but NEVER with a truck that has ANY oil leak.

JustMowIt
12-25-2004, 09:32 PM
Just mow it, Excelent truck fleet you got and I like the idea of no trailers. How come you dont have your trucks lettered? I saw a Mitsubishi truck with a ramp bed like the one in your pictures before at a store I was at, so I went and talked to the owner. He showed me the power gate lift setup and its sharp turning radius. I was pritty impressed with it. I would like to add a truck setup like that in the future for just such occasions (small yards on tight streets)

We started a wholesale division whereby we mow yards for other lawn companies 1 1/2 years ago in an effort to grow without hiring office help. We set up an company intranet whereby our retailers can log on to a web page & enter & manage their customers & the yards would automaticcally print on our route sheets without us doing anything. They have a 25% profit margin & all they have to do is deal with the customer. We charge their card every Monday & they collect from their customer. We thought it was an inventive idea because we still had a 20% margin with no more effort and smaller guys could sign customers out of their service area. However, it did not work as expected because every time a customer would call them, they would call us, and they constantly call & say..I am in the truck, would you put in a customer for tomorrow etc. etc. We are mowing about 400 yards & do not plan to dump them, but not taking any new ones.

The above is a long story to explain why we did not have signage on out trucks; however, we plan to put signage back on in 2005 because we really need this exposure, & have asked the retailers to deal with it.
MJ