PDA

View Full Version : A/C in a skid steer

mbella
12-22-2004, 09:51 PM
Is there any reason that I should NOT want a skid steer to have A/C?

Lawnchoice
12-22-2004, 09:59 PM
Cause we are in the green industry and we are here to sweat !

olderthandirt
12-22-2004, 10:01 PM
Extra 8k for cab with ac, and who would want to get out in the heat to do any work?
Now if you know you will never leave the cab of the skid till you get in the cab of your truck it would probably be worth the extra jack.

Mac

mbella
12-22-2004, 10:04 PM
Cause we are in the green industry and we are here to sweat !

That's nice. How many 12 hour days have you spent rockhounding in the summer? The heat is the least of my concerns. The dust is the primary concern. I have been looking at skidsteers and I have narrowed it down to one. I think I want the A/C, for the sole reason of being able to keep the door on when rockhounding. What do you guys think?

olderthandirt
12-22-2004, 10:05 PM
Think its your money get what you want.

Mac

mbella
12-22-2004, 10:09 PM
Extra 8k for cab with ac, and who would want to get out in the heat to do any work?
Now if you know you will never leave the cab of the skid till you get in the cab of your truck it would probably be worth the extra jack.

Mac

Mac, thanks for the response. I am already getting the cab (snow) and a few other options. The options that I want are part of a package that includes A/C. If I get the package it is going to a few hundred dollars more than if I added the options individually. I really just wanted to know if there are any concerns, with respect to performance, with having A/C. Do any of you guys do a lot of rockhounding with a skid steer that has A/C?

xcopterdoc
12-22-2004, 10:29 PM
No real performance difference. With the way they route the serp belts, the A/C system doesnt bog the engine at all. In Pa, I'll think you'll find the A/C system great for filtering out some of the dust... depending on the machine, not all have filters to clean the air entering the cab. Research this with your dealer a lil more and ask to demo a like machine. Might be kinda hard to find an A/C machine up north tho. As far as the A/C system itself, they vary, but all in all... yur sitting in a glass house. Depending on the ambient temp and humidity, they work OK... great? Nope. And also look at how many A/C machines they see at yur dealer in Pa! Not many I'll bet! So if it goes tits up, dont get mad if they dont have a clue!

Gilla Gorilla
12-22-2004, 10:32 PM
Pardon my ignorance but what does rockhounding mean?

Lawnchoice
12-22-2004, 10:33 PM
That's nice. How many 12 hour days have you spent rockhounding in the summer? The heat is the least of my concerns. The dust is the primary concern. I have been looking at skidsteers and I have narrowed it down to one. I think I want the A/C, for the sole reason of being able to keep the door on when rockhounding. What do you guys think?

I was being wise and I have spent plenty of time in a Bobcat with a Harley Rake, RotaDarion and a Rockhound. DUSTY !!!

If you spend that much time in one doing that, it's totally worth it.

mbella
12-22-2004, 10:34 PM
xcopterdoc, thanks for the imput.

mbella
12-22-2004, 10:36 PM
I was being wise and I have spent plenty of time in a Bobcat with a Harley Rake, RotaDarion and a Rockhound. DUSTY !!!

If you spend that much time in one doing that, it's totally worth it.

Yeah, that was my my initial thought. I just wanted to put it out there in case there were any caveats.

Lawnchoice
12-22-2004, 10:40 PM
Which models have you looked at?

I know Cat makes a nice unit ( a/c )

Randy Scott
12-22-2004, 10:48 PM
We just got a new machine this year (Bobcat S250) and I opted not to get the A/C. I'm an idiot. I don't know where my head was at, because that is the biggest pain in the arse. Power raking and having to keep the doors and windows shut gets kinda warm in the cab. Because if you don't do that, you will certainly die from 100 pounds of dust in your lungs and any other open orifice. We keep the fan (from the heater) going wide open with the thermostat on cool, but it's still stuffy in it. I was concerned about the extra caution and maintenance to keep the condenser clean with the A/C and that was my thought at the time.

To sum it up, the A/C is about one payment more when you get it as an option at the time you build and spec the machine. DO IT! For what it costs extra, you could use it one summer and if you never used it or it failed, you'd still be money ahead. Thanks, now I got myself pissed off over this. :rolleyes: $35K for a machine and I couldn't spend the extra $800 even if I never used it.

mbella
12-22-2004, 10:48 PM
I decided on the Bobcat S185. I don't want a track machine because I have to use it for snow removal. The bobcat has a kubota engine, which after the warranty expires can be serviced at the Kubota dealer that services my Kubota L-35.

xcopterdoc
12-22-2004, 11:29 PM
I love those Kubota motors Mike... tho a lil under powered, they last a life time. Keep the oil changed, and the air filters CLEAN! Follow the engine manufactures sched to the T... especially the valve clearance checks and injector service. They will last forever! I just did a major on a gen set we have with over 30,000 hrs.. No major stuff.. injector tips is all. Glow plugs are a must though. Make sure the glow plug system is operating well.

TerraFirma Excavating
12-22-2004, 11:37 PM
I have A/C in my Bobcat 773. I wouldn't have another skidsteer or track loader without it. I live in Fairbanks, Alaska and we will see from -40ºF to 90ºF through the seasons. Definately need the heated cab for the winter, and the extra $1,200 to $1,800 (forgot exact amount) for the A/C is well worth it.

It keeps the dust out of the cab pretty well. Really nice when utilizing a sweeper on parking lots. Less fatiguing on the operator during long days. Also doesn't allow dirt or rocks to fall into the cab, thus obstructing the foot pedals (if you don't have hand controls).

I should have taken off the door when my son was learning to operate my machine. He was real jerky and spilled alot of material back on the machine. There had to be about 2" of dirt on top of the cab. He would have learned to be smooth after filling his lap a couple of times with dirt. :D

Oneday, my A/C quit. I thought it was the fuse and didn't have a spare and was out on a job. I took the door off and was uncomfortable the rest of the day. I really missed my A/C. When I got it home, the fuses were fine. Found that the wiring harness slipped off switch switch connectors (must have been from my son's "rough" operating :rolleyes: ). Pushed it back on and everything was good again.

Scag48
12-23-2004, 03:05 AM
We opted to not have A/C on our first machine but on the next one we sure will have it as an option. I'd say that about 50% of the time we don't need it, but when you get into a dusty site, it sure would pay to have it. I can't count the number of days this season when I came home looking like someone dragged me behind a truck on a dirt road.

mbella
12-23-2004, 06:17 AM
We just got a new machine this year (Bobcat S250) and I opted not to get the A/C. I'm an idiot. I don't know where my head was at, because that is the biggest pain in the arse. Power raking and having to keep the doors and windows shut gets kinda warm in the cab. Because if you don't do that, you will certainly die from 100 pounds of dust in your lungs and any other open orifice. We keep the fan (from the heater) going wide open with the thermostat on cool, but it's still stuffy in it. I was concerned about the extra caution and maintenance to keep the condenser clean with the A/C and that was my thought at the time.

To sum it up, the A/C is about one payment more when you get it as an option at the time you build and spec the machine. DO IT! For what it costs extra, you could use it one summer and if you never used it or it failed, you'd still be money ahead. Thanks, now I got myself pissed off over this. :rolleyes: $35K for a machine and I couldn't spend the extra $800 even if I never used it.

Randy, thank you for the response. I had the same concerns as you, but was afraid that if I didn't get it I would regret it.

mbella
12-23-2004, 06:20 AM
Thanks to all of you that responded. It sounds like it's a no brainer. I didn't see any reason NOT to get it. I just wanted to throw it out there in case I was missing something. Thanks again guys.

Lawnchoice
12-23-2004, 07:28 AM
Pardon my ignorance but what does rockhounding mean?

Check out this link, it will fill you in. They do work great, but create a hellish dust storm in dry conditions.

http://www.bobcat.com/products/att/landrake.html

MowingisMaddness
12-23-2004, 09:24 AM
look at the numbers...as long as you can figure the extra overhead created by the A/C into the rate you charge the customer(or save the customer), then get A/C. I know for dusty conditions, you won't regret it :)

Tigerotor77W
12-23-2004, 10:50 AM
I think AC is a good investment but just make sure your operator of the skid still is willing to help his buddies not inside it! You wouldn't want to incite a riot...

ksss
12-24-2004, 04:15 PM
I have had at least one machine with AC since 01. After my 05 machine gets here, both skid steers will be heat and AC. It is much more comfortable and they work well. The 01 was somewhat problematic but was warranty covered. The 03 has been flawless to date. However there is more things to go wrong and the plumbing to accommondate the AC makes things even tighter in the back. I think the increase in resale will recoup most of the expense, to say nothing of the increase in comfort. Cabs take some getting used to. We will often pull the door off of the 95XT during demolition work. The glass is expensive and a pain to replace. Lexan would prevent that but it doesn't hold up well (scratches and clouds). I think it is worth the added cost. The add for the AC was 1K list price over just cab and heat on a CASE 440.

drichards
12-24-2004, 10:39 PM
I have a Takeuchi TL130 track loader and opted for the full cab with AC/Heat when we bought it. The biggest benefit is the ability to shut out all that dust during the summer. It was a 4000.00 option and that is a lot of money in my book but I promise I will never buy another piece of equipment without it. There where days this summer I know I would have gone home early without it. Reducing operator fatigue has physically and financially been a blessing. I figure the option paid for itself this summer.

I have found no negative effects on the performance of the machine while running the ac.

Another option to check into is a roll up door. The door on our machine works just like the front glass of an excavator, you release to catch and pull the door up over your head. The big advantages to this stile door is that you can operate the machine with the door open or closed and are able to enter/exit the machine with the lift arm partially raised while loading and unloading implements on the trailer.

Scag48
12-25-2004, 03:04 PM
drichards-That roll up door seems to be a great idea, but I'm not sure if Cat or any of the other major brands offer that option? I can completely relate to being able to open the door when putting attachments on the trailer. I tried one of Deere's skids and it had the roll up door, it didn't work very well and jammed easy, wonder what the deal with that was, but the idea of a roll up door is a great one.

ksss
12-25-2004, 03:31 PM
Takeuchi's roll up door is by far the best. Like most of what they (Takeuchi) do, it is simple and effective. The roll up door allows you to leave the door open as needed such as in pallet fork work which requires you to leave the machine frequently. I also prefer to fine grade without looking through glass. The swing out door is a pain and doesn't mesh well with how a skid steer is built (attachements and loader arms contacting the door). JCB being the exception. The interior of cab is not as "plush" as say Bobcat but Takeuchi has the best seat on the market IMHO. The Japanese cabs in general (refering to smaller excavators primarily) are simple and lack some of the comfort that we are used to in U.S. products, but they are functional, not as pretty however probably more durable.