PDA

View Full Version : What's the worst thing you've been accused of by a customer?

Sooners
12-23-2004, 12:18 AM
I had a customer accuse me or my partner/son of urinating in her empty milk jugs. :nono: She uses them to water her plants. Now, when we're at her house (typically a 2-4 hr. job each week) and we need to go to the restroom, we just say "I need to use a milk jug". (Quietly and only to each other of course). :D

Kelly's Landscaping
12-23-2004, 12:45 AM
Let me see that would have to be being accused of sleeping with his wife.

i_plant_art
12-23-2004, 12:47 AM
maybe u should shat in her milk jug and see how she likes that. LOL never anything too bad had a call today from a guy saying he felt insulted b/c i charged him a $3 late fee on a $60 monthly account for being 11 days past due when i give my customers 30 days to pay. GEE WIZ my bad pay on time.. our conversation wasnt long i lost a customer but hey he wadnt worth it anyhow to complain over $3 and being late. This was his 2nd time in 3 months to be late. Someone else can have him. Thats bout the worst of it for me as of lately.

Guthrie&Co
12-23-2004, 01:05 AM
i had a lady tell me that she wouldnt let me drive on her driveway until we picked all the mud from our tires frist. :dizzy:

richard coffman
12-23-2004, 01:16 AM
i can't say I've been acused of anything. generally i cover my bases. but 8 years ago, an employee that was the company drunk, did a # 2 in front of a customers house behind the bushes kneeling down. I guess the customer walked out the front door and happen to look to the left in the bushes and saw the whole thing..... I was mowing the back lawn when this happpened. I can't recall everything that was said, but the customer was pis***. from what i heard. I'f it we're me, i would have fired him on the spot!!!!! can't say that was the worst he ever did, but I'll leave that for another thread...... :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :cool:

Respectfully,

Richard/Owner

Guthrie&Co
12-23-2004, 01:43 AM
i worked for a guy that could come close to that. we were mowing a high end lawn and they homeowners is always a prick. so the guy gets mad and cuts a 50' bullseye in his front yard right in the middle. one light stripe and the other dark all the way out! perfect circle on a walk behind. i thought it was kinda funny but man was he mad.

impactlandscaping
12-23-2004, 02:38 AM
I had a customer accuse me or my partner/son of urinating in her empty milk jugs. :nono: She uses them to water her plants. Now, when we're at her house (typically a 2-4 hr. job each week) and we need to go to the restroom, we just say "I need to use a milk jug". (Quietly and only to each other of course). :D

Just tell her it's like Miracle grow, only better..LOL :p
So,if you guys didn't do it, who was whizzing in her milk jugs??? :D

65hoss
12-23-2004, 09:26 AM
A brick. An old lady called me to ask if I stole a brick she had in a corner of the lawn. She put it there 2 years earlier and now it was gone. haha.

cutnedge
12-23-2004, 09:43 AM
Spraying Roundup along a chain-link fence.

fga
12-23-2004, 09:55 AM
i was accused of planting moss by a gutter downspout! :laugh:

grshppr
12-23-2004, 09:57 AM
Backing into a garage door. I was shocked when he called and accused me of this, this is a snow customer by the way, so I drove the plow truck up there and backed up to the door, and called him out to look at it. The crease in the door didn't even come close to matching my bumper. It turned out his son had done it and never told him.

GreenMonster
12-23-2004, 09:58 AM
Adam, I was once accussed of being a Yankee fan. That's as bad as it gets.

beaver
12-23-2004, 10:00 AM
I had a customer accuse me of stealing thier lawnmower

AL Inc
12-23-2004, 10:05 AM
I had someone accuse us of stealing a Craftsman chain saw out of his garage. In those days I was with the crew every day and there was no way that happened. I was more insulted that he thought I would want a Craftsman chainsaw.
I had another guy accuse us of tearing up his lawn with the tire of the mower. I went and looked, and it was a 15' tire mark from a car. I could even see the grooves from the tire tread. I told him this and he just would not let it go. Insisted that it was us. Finally said, OK, your right, bye. He ended up re-seeding the area.

fga
12-23-2004, 10:11 AM
Adam, I was once accussed of being a Yankee fan. That's as bad as it gets.
how infantile... :rolleyes: :waving:

GreenMonster
12-23-2004, 10:17 AM
how infantile... :rolleyes: :waving:

:laugh:

Name the commercial:

"I learned it by watching you!"

True story:
We build a wall on a busy road right along a sidewalk. Neighbor walked by everyday with a Yankee cap :rolleyes: and we'd bust each other's nutz.

So, towards the end of the job, I'm washing down the sidewalk with a hose, and I tell him to take of the hat, or he's getting soaked.

He said he would take the hat off when the Sox won the World Series. So, what the hell could I say? We laughed and I let him go by.

I hope I see him next year :)

fga
12-23-2004, 10:34 AM
:laugh:

Name the commercial:

"I learned it by watching you!"

:)

"where did you get this pot??!! tell me, answer me! who taught you to use this stuff..."
(brief period of quiet, followed by background of climatic instrumental)

"You! I learned it by watching you!"

I am full of useless knowledge.

Blk94fiveOh
12-24-2004, 12:07 AM
A customer accused us of running over her new downspouts with our lawn mower, even though they exited in flower bed, and in a raised plating area....nowhere near the area we cut. I lost her the next year....its too bad considering I got $75 for 30 minutes of work.

Garden Panzer
12-24-2004, 12:20 AM
Killing the dog.....
dog died a couple weeks after a urea ap and they blamed me.... vet did some tests but nothing came up.....

:rolleyes:

Guthrie&Co
12-24-2004, 01:42 AM
Killing the dog.....
dog died a couple weeks after a urea ap and they blamed me.... vet did some tests but nothing came up.....

:rolleyes:
lmao. did you explain the fact that nitrogen is the most leachable nutrient? and as soon at water hits it it is pretty much gone.?

coastallandscapesolutions
12-24-2004, 07:52 AM
Four years ago we had a neighbor call the county police on us because one of our mowers went a few inches over into her property line and cut her grass. The cop just stared at her when she was making the complaint. Most of her yard was gone anyway when the yard we were servicing was perfect. She wanted the cop to make us put her grass back and take up to jail. He left and told her not to call them again.

How much did we cut of her grass? 4 inches by 18 inches when a z made a turn. I felt like dumping a bag of grass over on her lawn and say "there you go".

YardPro
12-24-2004, 08:40 AM
sounds like my neighbor

rodfather
12-24-2004, 12:57 PM
Four years ago we had a neighbor call the county police on us because one of our mowers went a few inches over into her property line and cut her grass. The cop just stared at her when she was making the complaint. Most of her yard was gone anyway when the yard we were servicing was perfect. She wanted the cop to make us put her grass back and take up to jail. He left and told her not to call them again.

How much did we cut of her grass? 4 inches by 18 inches when a z made a turn. I felt like dumping a bag of grass over on her lawn and say "there you go".

I feel sorry for people like that. Their lives must be pretty f***ing boring to go to that length and call the cops.

GreenMonster
12-24-2004, 01:29 PM
Customer accused me of being too expensive once :laugh:

Threatened not to use me and to not give any good recommendations if I didn't take any $$$ of his bill.

I was really scared..... :rolleyes:

jtkplc
12-24-2004, 01:38 PM
I had an elderly lady tell me that I was mowing too fast. I started out the season with a craftsman rider and then bought my 260Z, that's when I started having the problems. She accused me of missing grass on turns and that it wasn't cutting very well because I was going so fast. I had to basically take her by the hand outside to show me where this was happening, and you know what, she couldn't find any place I missed, geez whiz, coulda told ya that. From then on she had no more problems with me.

Sir mowsalot
12-24-2004, 01:47 PM

Usually when someone acts like that its because jealousy had finally got a hold of em. She probably cant afford lawn service and it just probably eats her up each week you show up for the neighbor. I actually had a neighbor physically shaking because he was so mad that i parked my truck along the curb in front of his house. Rather than simply ask me to move it(not that i was illegally parked) he acted like that. I figured he was just mad because he couldnt afford any serviec

cgland
12-24-2004, 04:24 PM
We had a lady that we mowed and every time we mowed her she had all kinds of trash in her front yard that we had to clean up (charged her of course). One day we found a 6 pack of empty beer bottles in the front yard and we put them in her recycling bin. The next day she fired us saying that we were drinking beer while mowing her lawn! :rolleyes: That being said, We were better drunk mowers than the next company she hired.

TURFLORD
12-26-2004, 01:33 PM
I was on the lawn crew one day, when a lady drove by in a car with a broken side window. She tried to say a mower kicked up a rock as she drove by and did it. The mowers were off the trailer, catchers on,BLADES OFF, and facing the other way. Ya gotta laugh at this stuff. :dizzy:

hortboy
12-26-2004, 02:49 PM
We mowed a lawn at 3pm one afternoon and the customer was home and I even spoke w/ her and then I got the call at 5pm asking why I didn't mow her lawn while I was there. Keep in mind when I showed up it was a foot tall and we cut it to 2 3/4 inches for the final of 2 cuts and even bagged all the clippings. A lawn you'd be proud of. Needless to say i lost the account two days later because she couldn't tell it was mowed because no clippings or clumps of grass were left on back patio.

yrdandgardenhandyman
12-26-2004, 03:52 PM
This was my next door neighbor. He has a very weedy yard and is one of those people too cheap to have a professional do the fert and squirts. Actually, his idea of weed control is to get a pump sprayer, dump some Weed-B-Gone, (He figures "If 1 ounce is the correct amount then 4 ounces will work 4 times as well.") Then he goes to the yard, never mind it's raining, and walks around the yard moving the wand to and fro, like a priest giving blessings to the yard, and then tells me I'm running his yard down because mine looks better.? Anyway, you get the idea. A nut.
I don't do commercial spray. Only my own. I have a fence line, about 60 ft from his garden, and there is a 2 ft high rr tie divider along the fence, on his side. I sprayed the fence line with premix Roundup, in a pressure sprayer. It was a calm day, sunny day. I was spraying along this rr tie wall using a pretty coarse spray, actually droplets. It all stayed where I wanted it. About 2 weeks later I notice them picking up around their cucumber plants. They were dying from what I'm not sure. Mine were too. Maybe a bug, the drought, I'm not sure. They were dying evenly all over the plants. Couldn't tell if the foliage was dying first or the stem was. He never said a word to me at the time. Then one morning, about 2 weeks after that I get a knock on my front door by an agent of the DOA. He explained to me that my neighbor had accused me of spraying his cucumbers, but not the rest of the garden, with Roundup. The first question he asked was if I had a license to spray. I said I didn't need one as I don't offer that service to my customers. Then he said ok. He was fine with my business and all and he was going to handle it as a homeowner to homeowner complaint. Anyway, he said the tests would be back by Feb. My neighbor is sure that they're going to find Roundup. I think I'll make him get on his hands and knees and apologize. :realmad:

JCA1
12-26-2004, 07:31 PM
I'm not in the lawn care business, Im a service tech. for a local LP Gas Company though so I do have a lot of contact with customers. A year or so ago a customer accused me of trying to steal her fern to sell it and buy crack. She said she knew what a crackhead looked like and I was definately a crackhead. Needless to say this lady is crazy and everyone knows it, but to top it off her son is the biggest crackhead in town. We picked up their propane tank and had to use law enforcement assistance to do so. Some people.

JCW-G
12-26-2004, 10:38 PM
I was accused of getting their 18 year old daughter pregnant when she was house sitting, and they were on vacation in Asia.
It's not mine, HONEST !

HOOLIE
12-26-2004, 10:51 PM
A customer this year was continually calling to complain I wasn't locking their gate, and the dog was escaping. They had a combo lock on each gate. To keep it simple, I always used the right gate. Of course, when I finally had the lady show me "how" I was leaving the gate unlocked, it turned out to be the LEFT gate that wasn't locked.

I told her I didn't use that gate, she didn't believe me...so I told her if that was the case, then I couldn't work for them anymore. Then she said "Well, maybe one of my kids found out the combination, it COULD be possible, I suppose"

Another customers once accused me of being a "rookie". That's worse than calling me a liar...LOL

northmichigan
12-27-2004, 08:31 AM
the worst thing that happened to me was someone said since my wife and i have only one child we were NOT really a family!!!!!!!!!

parkwest
12-27-2004, 11:43 AM
I had a customer accuse me of making "windfall profits" LOL Whatever the hell that is?

TURFLORD
12-27-2004, 04:21 PM
This was my next door neighbor. He has a very weedy yard and is one of those people too cheap to have a professional do the fert and squirts. Actually, his idea of weed control is to get a pump sprayer, dump some Weed-B-Gone, (He figures "If 1 ounce is the correct amount then 4 ounces will work 4 times as well.") Then he goes to the yard, never mind it's raining, and walks around the yard moving the wand to and fro, like a priest giving blessings to the yard, and then tells me I'm running his yard down because mine looks better.? Anyway, you get the idea. A nut.
I don't do commercial spray. Only my own. I have a fence line, about 60 ft from his garden, and there is a 2 ft high rr tie divider along the fence, on his side. I sprayed the fence line with premix Roundup, in a pressure sprayer. It was a calm day, sunny day. I was spraying along this rr tie wall using a pretty coarse spray, actually droplets. It all stayed where I wanted it. About 2 weeks later I notice them picking up around their cucumber plants. They were dying from what I'm not sure. Mine were too. Maybe a bug, the drought, I'm not sure. They were dying evenly all over the plants. Couldn't tell if the foliage was dying first or the stem was. He never said a word to me at the time. Then one morning, about 2 weeks after that I get a knock on my front door by an agent of the DOA. He explained to me that my neighbor had accused me of spraying his cucumbers, but not the rest of the garden, with Roundup. The first question he asked was if I had a license to spray. I said I didn't need one as I don't offer that service to my customers. Then he said ok. He was fine with my business and all and he was going to handle it as a homeowner to homeowner complaint. Anyway, he said the tests would be back by Feb. My neighbor is sure that they're going to find Roundup. I think I'll make him get on his hands and knees and apologize. :realmad:
If your still reading Y and G man, don't worry. Round-up is bio-degradable in 7 days and won't translocate more than 3 '.

snippy
12-28-2004, 01:25 AM
Someone accused me of doing a good job once, I was shocked, I'd never been told that before :D

Stephen M.
12-28-2004, 02:35 AM
I was working with 2 employees installing over 10 cy of mulch and hauling butt. We were discussing books we read and telling jokes.

I got a call from the client saying that a neighbor called her and reported that my workers were screwing off all day talking and telling jokes. "I just wanted to tell you so you can tell them how they should be working".

I told her that I WAS working with them and we laid that 10 cy of mulch in record time. Besides, since we were not in church, or the library, or at a funeral where silence is required, I saw no reason to work in silence. In fact, I was going to split the difference with her because we worked so fast.

Image her surprise and she was wondering why her neighbor would say that [would she lie?]!! :cool2:

parkwest
12-28-2004, 08:56 AM
Someone accused me of doing a good job once, I was shocked, I'd never been told that before :D
Be careful your other customers don't hear about this. They might want a good job too.

MacPhersonlawn
12-28-2004, 01:58 PM
I had a customer who called me to request that I park my truck down by the road and not in her driveway ( it was a long driveway). It seems the trash man did not like walking up the driveway and she agreed. However, it was ok for us to walk up her driveway to get to the lawn. It put in perspective where the lawn guys were, right behind the trash.

coastallandscapesolutions
12-28-2004, 02:56 PM
Ok..... I once had a customer ask me to park down the road and come at at 4:00 PM. She wanted me to leave a 4' strip at the end of the yard not done. I complied and she paid extra for the walk to the truck.....
Took about an hour to cut it, good size lawn. She paid cash. When I collected she had these raggedy cloths on, torn up too. I went back to the truck and as I was leaving I say her take a push mower to the strip I have left. She sprayed water on herself and started pushing the mower. Then her husband came home just as she finished the strip of grass. I could hear her all the way down the block screaming at him for not doing a $&#(%& thing around the house and she should not need to mow the lawn. Go figure.

Funny thing.... two weeks later the husband called us to cut the grass. Got our number off of one of the trucks. They are our customer now. He said that his wife had to mow the lawn and it cost him a couple of grand for jewelry and dinner to make it up to her and that it was cheaper to pay us.

I thought.. no dah. I guess he can tell the difference between a 21" mower and a 54" cut (stripes).

Tn Lawn Man
12-28-2004, 03:09 PM
Ok..... I once had a customer ask me to park down the road and come at at 4:00 PM. She wanted me to leave a 4' strip at the end of the yard not done. I complied and she paid extra for the walk to the truck.....
Took about an hour to cut it, good size lawn. She paid cash. When I collected she had these raggedy cloths on, torn up too. I went back to the truck and as I was leaving I say her take a push mower to the strip I have left. She sprayed water on herself and started pushing the mower. Then her husband came home just as she finished the strip of grass. I could hear her all the way down the block screaming at him for not doing a $&#(%& thing around the house and she should not need to mow the lawn. Go figure.

Funny thing.... two weeks later the husband called us to cut the grass. Got our number off of one of the trucks. They are our customer now. He said that his wife had to mow the lawn and it cost him a couple of grand for jewelry and dinner to make it up to her and that it was cheaper to pay us.

I thought.. no dah. I guess he can tell the difference between a 21" mower and a 54" cut (stripes).

That has got to be the funniest one I have ever heard. I love it!!!!! You can't make stuff like that up. :D

dmbmikee
09-05-2005, 09:07 AM
smoking crack on their porch....just kidding....lolololol

Worst thing was, being accused of inflating the cost of supplies! How dare them accuse me of something everyone does....lol

Mr. Magpie
09-05-2005, 06:26 PM
My buddy had an 80 year old client accuse him of leaving a palm branch behind his Chrysler Prowler in the driveway, which caused $800 of damage to the transmission as he backed out over it. Said it was his fault and he should pay. Fact was my buddy does not maintain his palms and in reality it was his neighbors branch blown in from their property. Old man in desperation..... sad sight.

Brianslawn
09-05-2005, 06:48 PM
coastal...
that was even better than bobbys made up sh*t! i might have you beat, though

i had this happen couple years ago. we were doing dirt and sod at a new rich house. we parked the chevy diesel and 20' trailer across the street in front of an empty lot and completely on pavement... no grass. the old man that owned it and lived next to it come driving home with his old wife in his old brown beater truck. he pulled into his drive way. both got out. wife went inside. he started yelling and cussin across the street at us. he jumped in his truck and spun tires across the street into the customers driveway and new yard. got out trying to pick a fight with us for parking in his yard. got back in and did a burn out on customers proberty. went across the street and backed his beater up to the bumper of my chevy. got out saying how you like that now, etc. he went inside briefly. i wanted to either jump in the chevy and push his beater down the road or ram the side of it with the kubota bucket and push it in the ditch, but Ron grabbed a hold of me to calm me down before i crushed the beater and went to town on the guys house. (i have a bad temper). old man comes back out from doing another line (i guess thats what those people like to do) and moves his truck and we park ours on our side then.

couple days later another neighbor stops by (whos on city counsil) and wants us to do some dirtwork where he is redoing his yard. we meet the dump truck at the end of our mowing route. he drops a load of dirt in the guys yard. we run across town to drop the mowers and get the kubota. just about to my place and i get a call from the guy saying he changed his mind and didnt want it. a minute later a call from the city cops threatening to fine me if i didnt move it immediatly. we get back out there and theres 2 cop cars, a city truck, and a city loader/backhoe tractor. they said if i dont move it they will and fine me. the city guy was refusing to pay. he had to haul it off on the trailer then.

it gets better. after we got done with first yard (this all took place in february) they refused to pay cause we laid dead sod. we laid bermuda which was just trucked in from further south where it was warmer. it was green when we laid it, but turned brown and dormat a couple days later from the cold. they pointed at another new yard down the street (fescue) that was green. they asked why theirs was brown and the other was green. i told him i originally gave him that option, but he wanted the cheaper bermuda. he slammed the door and went inside. i took them to court. won but was only awarded 3/4 of original cause they had to have the sod ripped up and fescue put down.

when we first started the yard the wife was always out side stumbling around drunk drinkin wine and saying i needed to marry her daughter. they city guy is now running for mayer. sorry story was so long.

protouchlawn
09-06-2005, 07:09 AM
I had the neighbor of a customer accuse me of trimming on his side of the split-rail fence which ran down the property line. He said he could tell because his trimmer did not trim under the neighbor's half of the split rail fence. I told him that I had seen and heard a lot of things in my life, but this was the absolute pinnacle of stupidity and the epitome of ignorance. I then asked him to call the Sheriff's Dept. right away and report this trespass, because I hoped to still be there when the Deputy arrived so I could hear what the Deputy told him and see the look in his eyes when he saw this monumental waste of his time. He went back in the house.

Ramairfreak98ss
09-06-2005, 11:46 AM
not totally related, but a 50-55yr old lady 4 houses down on the opposite side of the road every week calls the township inspection board on me because i have too many cars across the street from me lol, nothin she can do, theyre all registered current, she just doesnt like looking at them, the oldest car is my truck, a mint condition 91 f150 and next is my 1998 Grandam GT lol. gfys lady lol, they made me take my one cars cover off though.