PDA

View Full Version : ? about Stihl FS 72

boxoffire
12-23-2004, 02:38 AM
Just won one of these on ebay and thought I'd won a trimmer based on the title listing. Anyway, they've told me that they made a mistake and instead attached is a blade of some type, I'm assuming a bush cutter type head. My question for you pro Stihl users is, does this model have the option of putting a trimmer head on it (on all FS 72's) as they are telling me, and if so how much do they usually run? This will greatly help in my decision whether I still want the item or my money back instead. Many thanks for the help someone can give me on this one. By the way I ended up winning the item for $65 plus $25 if they ship it to me.

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas!

Adam

Soupy
12-23-2004, 04:35 AM
I think the fs 72 is a homeowner model and has a curved shaft. I didn't think it excepted any heads but string. Do you have the link to the auction you won?

boxoffire
12-23-2004, 01:20 PM
Yes, here is the link to item I won. Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4343095630&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

Soupy
12-23-2004, 01:45 PM
I think I would pass on that purchase if I was you. After you buy the new head you are going to have around $125 in it. Are you sure you want a bent shaft trimmer? Echo makes a good entry level commercial trimmer for $199. If all you are going to do is trim around houses and not trim large overgrown ditches it will last you a few years.

That trimmer is worth $65 but after $25 shipping and another $25-35 for a new head I think you are paying to much for it. I'm not sure but that trimmer might sell for close to that new.

hockeygoalie
12-23-2004, 02:28 PM
That unit is not a deal. However I would still get it to avoid negative feedback from ebay. That alone can keep you from bidding on real deals. Get the trimmer and clean it up and sell it again and try to cut your losses. Trimmers can get some real work, so i only buy new ones. Soupy is right new entry level commercial models are not too bad. Sell that ebay one, and buy another.

boxoffire
12-23-2004, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the help folks. Ebay seller seems very legit and nice about it as I just called them and said I didn't want the item since it wasn't as described and asked for my $90 refund through paypal and lady said that would be fine that they would go ahead and do that as she apolgized for the error. If so, I'll be giving them positive feedback and I didn't get the impression they would do otherwise to me. Luckily they hadn't shipped the item before I questioned it.

Later,

Adam

Shuter
12-23-2004, 03:45 PM
I have a FS 72. I bought it used from a LCO going out of business. It has an edger head on it. It works fine for trimming up new edges, and works fair for cutting new ones. The new ones take several passes. The engine starts every time.

Shuter
12-23-2004, 03:47 PM
I meant to say it works well with existing edges and several passes to cut new ones.