PDA

View Full Version : Moving? Transition to new address

sildoc
12-23-2004, 12:59 PM
We are currently building our house and soon will be moving to a new address. I am currious how many of you have moved your business address along with your home address?
What were your problems?
What did you do to keep problems from arising? Ie. mailings, billing and contracts all have my old address on it and I know someone is going to send checks there at least a few times. I will put in a change of address at the post office but it only lasts 3 months.
Just trying to make it as smooth as possible.

Soupy
12-23-2004, 01:28 PM
You can include return envelopes. Do you really think your customers have your address memorized? I'm sure they look at the invoice each month for the address. But I could see a problem if they drop checks off at your house. You might consider a P.O Box too. Also a change of address with the post office will get your mail forward for a year.

I started my business 14 years ago and lived at my parents. When I moved out into the real world I knew I would move a few times and my parents are there to stay. So to this day I still use their address for invoicing purposes. I did have some people drop checks off at my last house because it was located on a buzzy street and people seen were I lived because my truck is highly visible. I got lucky again because my brother lives there now and he can retrieve any checks that might accidental get dropped off there.

When I do decide to change the address on my invoices, business card etc. I will use a P.O Box.

I just reread your post and seen that you have thought of some of the things I mentioned. I thought USPS forward for one year though.