PDA

View Full Version : Where are most chainsaws made

lawnchopper
12-23-2004, 05:51 PM
I was wondering if Stihl and Huskavarna, Jonsered are still made in Sweeden and Germany or are they now cheaply asembled in Mexico or China?? Are any assembled here in the u.s? What about Poulan and Echo??. I know Huskavarna was bought by Electrolux..........yes the vaccum cleaner company, go fig which has alot of its product assembled in Mexico so i wonder about the quality.

out4now
12-23-2004, 06:16 PM
The Sthil 019 T I had was made in the US if I remeber correctly and the Huskt I had was assembled in Mexico both were great saws.

tiedeman
12-23-2004, 06:21 PM
I know that a lot, and I mean a lot are usually made in Germany

midtnstone
12-23-2004, 06:26 PM
stihl headquarters are in Virginia Beach, VA i also think the powerhead and some other stuff are made there. And for any other chainsaw, sorry mmy bad what other chainsaw. if you want quality go with stihl, you shouldn't be sorry. imo

TURF DOCTOR
12-23-2004, 06:36 PM
Husqvarna made in the usa,Husqvarna xp made in swed,the xp is top ope.

Ric
12-23-2004, 07:12 PM
The Sthil 019 T I had was made in the US if I remeber correctly and the Huskt I had was assembled in Mexico both were great saws.

Out 4 now

Try the 020T and you will throw that 019 out the window. However you can buy two 019 for the cost of the 020T Stihl. It is lighter and more powerful with a wider chain and still a one hand limbing saw.

out4now
12-23-2004, 07:13 PM
Both saws are gone. Sold them to a friend long ago.

SunSwept
12-23-2004, 07:24 PM
I have been working at the Electrolux plant in Anderson, SC for a few weeks on a temporary project. In this plant they make only refrigerators but they have a 'test track' (so to speak) where I have seen them testing dozens of lawn mowers in various types of grasses. They test the ones that they make as well as that of the competition.

While I haven't been permitted near the testing, it looks to be heavey duty. They will mow for a while and then they are out measuring and comparing ... sometimes on their hands and knees. I guess that they want to make sure that they measure up ... to what I don't know.

I am told by some of the Electrolux folks that they are the biggest MFGR of mowers in the world since they make mowers that other companys put their own labels on.

It was interesting ... thought you might like to know.

Oldtimer
12-23-2004, 08:51 PM
Stihl MS440 thru MS880 are built in Germany. The rest are built in Virginia Beach.

Travis Followell
12-24-2004, 11:34 AM
The Husqvarna and Jonsered saws are the same. Both are made is Sweeden. Maybe not all the models are but I think most of them are made there and the Poulan and Poulan Pro saws are also made in Sweeden. They may be assembeled somewhere elso but I don't know for sure.

Most models of the Stihl saws are made in the USA in Virginia Beach.

Echo saws are made in Japan and assembeled in the USA.

Other brands like Shindawia, Redmax, and Tanaka are also made in japan.

muddstopper
12-24-2004, 02:12 PM
ounce for ounce and cc to cc, the husky will out perform the sthil everytime. Both are good saws and I own both. You just have to compare apples to apples.

lawnchopper
12-25-2004, 10:46 AM
I have noticed that huskavarna is being sold at places like discount chains Mills Fleet Farm here in the upper midwest. I wonder if that means they have cheapened them up for mass production? I usually avoid buying outdoor power equipment from these places cause they either have the word MTD on them or there is no imediate service from them if there are problems with warrenty

TGIB
12-25-2004, 11:17 PM
:dizzy: ounce for ounce and cc to cc, the husky will out perform the sthil everytime. Both are good saws and I own both. You just have to compare apples to apples.

Here is why I disagree with this statement.

All Electolux saws of 3 cu inch disp. or less [Husqvarna, Poulan, Craftsman] are the exact same machine with different color paint on them. Since the death of McCulloch, and Homelite, these Poulan clones now occupy the bottom rung of quality and design that used to be the hallmark of McCulloch ect., and this is why they are found in the mass merchandisers. They're just cheaper !

All Stihl saws have 2 rings on their pistons. All but but a couple of Husqvarnas have only 1 ring on the piston. This gives the Stihl a longer life with better compression, because the piston will run true in the cylinder with less piston skirt slap, and is the main reason that Stihl has such a great reputation for such a long life cycle of their engines.

The Stihl has an outside sprocket, the Husky has the sprocket behind the clutch. This makes it much easier to remove and re mount a chain on the Stihls. It also will allow you to remove a Stihl power head from a saw bar that is stuck/wedged into a cut as you are felling a tree. You can unbolt a Stihl and walk it out of harms way- then go ahead and cut the tree down. A Husky can't be gotten off of a stuck bar , because the clutch won't let you slip the chain off, and the saw will likely be crushed if you cut the tree with another saw.

The Stihl has a very convenient bar adjuster screw on the outside - between the two big bar nuts. The Husky adjuster is still hidden inside the bar, behind the bumper spike.

The Stihl air filter cover can be removed in a few seconds, the filter brushed off, and the cover replaced, all in less than two minutes - IN THE FIELD ! Most Huskys have 3 or 4 small screws to remove, and the whole top of the saw comes off to get at their air filter. This is a real P I A compared to the ease of the Stihls and takes much longer with the potential to loose parts while doing it in the field.

The Stihl controls are all done with the flip of a single switch under your thumb, not separate controls in separate locations as on all the Poulans and Huskys.

The Stihl bar nose never needs greasing - they have figured out how to make the bar oil do this for you !

Stihl makes their own bars, and their own chain in their own factory. Because of oil grooves and path ways in their chains, and a small oil retention dam built into their bars, plus much heavier chrome plating on the cutter links - the Stihl bars and chains will last about 50% longer than anything else out there. Poulan/Husky just gets theirs from the lowest outside bidder/supplier, and there is no special features about it at all.

As for performance, there is no model that Husky makes that will rev higher, or have more torque and horsepower than the equivalent size [CC or CU. IN.] engine from Stihl. Because the Stihl has 2 rings , not 1 like most Huskys - the Stihls higher potential compression will usually give the Stihl the performance advantage.

s and s mowing
12-25-2004, 11:21 PM
i was told by dealer that now poulan and husky come down same assembly line.he has dropped poulan,strictly redmax.

lawnchopper
12-26-2004, 11:15 AM
what bout Jonserd??? there off the same line as husky arnt they??

Travis Followell
12-26-2004, 12:46 PM
Yes, the Jonsered saws are the same as the Husky saws and go down the same assembly line.

muddstopper
12-26-2004, 02:22 PM
:dizzy:

All Electolux saws of 3 cu inch disp. or less [Husqvarna, Poulan, Craftsman] are the exact same machine with different color paint on them. Since the death of McCulloch, and Homelite, these Poulan clones now occupy the bottom rung of quality and design that used to be the hallmark of McCulloch ect., and this is why they are found in the mass merchandisers. They're just cheaper !

All Stihl saws have 2 rings on their pistons. All but but a couple of Husqvarnas have only 1 ring on the piston. This gives the Stihl a longer life with better compression, because the piston will run true in the cylinder with less piston skirt slap, and is the main reason that Stihl has such a great reputation for such a long life cycle of their engines.

The Stihl has an outside sprocket, the Husky has the sprocket behind the clutch. This makes it much easier to remove and re mount a chain on the Stihls. It also will allow you to remove a Stihl power head from a saw bar that is stuck/wedged into a cut as you are felling a tree. You can unbolt a Stihl and walk it out of harms way- then go ahead and cut the tree down. A Husky can't be gotten off of a stuck bar , because the clutch won't let you slip the chain off, and the saw will likely be crushed if you cut the tree with another saw.

The Stihl has a very convenient bar adjuster screw on the outside - between the two big bar nuts. The Husky adjuster is still hidden inside the bar, behind the bumper spike.

The Stihl air filter cover can be removed in a few seconds, the filter brushed off, and the cover replaced, all in less than two minutes - IN THE FIELD ! Most Huskys have 3 or 4 small screws to remove, and the whole top of the saw comes off to get at their air filter. This is a real P I A compared to the ease of the Stihls and takes much longer with the potential to loose parts while doing it in the field.

The Stihl controls are all done with the flip of a single switch under your thumb, not separate controls in separate locations as on all the Poulans and Huskys.

The Stihl bar nose never needs greasing - they have figured out how to make the bar oil do this for you !

Stihl makes their own bars, and their own chain in their own factory. Because of oil grooves and path ways in their chains, and a small oil retention dam built into their bars, plus much heavier chrome plating on the cutter links - the Stihl bars and chains will last about 50% longer than anything else out there. Poulan/Husky just gets theirs from the lowest outside bidder/supplier, and there is no special features about it at all.

As for performance, there is no model that Husky makes that will rev higher, or have more torque and horsepower than the equivalent size [CC or CU. IN.] engine from Stihl. Because the Stihl has 2 rings , not 1 like most Huskys - the Stihls higher potential compression will usually give the Stihl the performance advantage.

Sounds as if you are reading the brochure. Try putting the brochure down and picking up the saws and use them for a year or two. I have a husky77 that is almost as old as you are that will still out cut most of the new saws on the market today. Sthil included. I do like the smaller sthils for limbing and small trees. I have two such saws. High rpm saws but low on hp. Dont be fooled by Sthils advertising about the bars either, Commercial grade huskies use oregon bars and chains. The bars feature self oiling roller tips or hard nosed bars. And the new Sthils do come with a greasing tool in the box. I have never greased a bar, I just keep the oil holes cleaned out and the chain oil does the rest. Cutting with the top of the bar instead of the bottom is what wears out the tips. My dealer sells both brands of saws, He has some that swear by Sthil and some that swear at them. Same for the Huskies. His repair bench seems to always have more Sthils on it than Huskies. He also says he sells more huskies than Sthil. Which is best, still just a matter of opinion. My experien tells me to by huskies for the big stuff and about any saw will do for the samller stuff. Except pouland, I hate those saws. And yea I have one of those to

Jeffvm
12-26-2004, 08:43 PM
All makes and models out there serve a purpose. The thing is - commercial vs the weekend once a month wood chopper.

We have been cutting for a very long time. We are still using an old 65cc Husky. We run this along our 72 husky, and 65 jonsreed turbo. We cut with other cutters, side by side with weekend wood chopper and run our saws against each other.

All told, the 65 is probably 16 years old and stay right with the new boys. The jonsreed probably out cuts all our saws, but against the 'locals" who use other brands that were mentioned - Pull the Curtain, for the show is over!!

I have never ran a red max - all others we have owned, operated, and junked. The husky and Jons, have held up time and time again. Just for the record - most wood is ash, pin-oak, elm & maple.

meets1
12-26-2004, 09:24 PM
I would agree with jeffvm. Also been cutting a long time along side with my father. He is still using the husky saws, where as I have went with jonsreed. I demo the red max - great saw for trimming ect. I didn't buy one though.

As of other makes and models, there is a difference to a commercial crew vs the weekender who needs a little wood for the fireplace. Also I have seen in our area if a new legit crew starts up they go with the "cheaper commercial saws" and then after some time learn a lesson and buy the better grade saws.

I have own and operated every saw out there except one - I think it is a Dolmar - something like that.

So either way - each to his own but as stated above - Pull the Curtains!!

dougj
12-26-2004, 10:12 PM
Just to keep everyone up to date on saws, for starters, All but 2 models (136,141) are manufactured in Sweden, they manufacture some of the highest RPM production saws on the market, they also make the largest cc saw in the industry.
The saws sold in any dealer or retailer in the world are of the same quaility.

Having a out-board clutch increases the life (due to heat) of oil pumps. and to increase the life and service of the clutch.

They do have a simple on/off/ choke switch

If you never heard of air injection, you will have to clean your air filters 4 times before i have to clean mine once.

Steel antivibe springs, verses rubber, Stihl has just reconized the durability factor.
Extremly high power to weight ratios
And electolux does manufacture over 53% of the power equipment in the WORLD

saw man
12-27-2004, 12:29 AM
:dizzy:

The post above mine tears down some of your comments, and some you never asked, but I will explain some more as well.

Not all Husky 3.0 ci saws are made in the U.S., the 340 and 345 are under 3.0 ci, as well as the 334T and 338XPT, and are made in Sweden. Also they are not the exact same as the Poulans, there are differences!

The 2 ring piston doesnt mean jack!! Husky has a tighter tolerence on there engines and life is actually a little longer than the Stihl. The Stihl, especially the O44, will get piston slap long before the Husky!

Alot of the Husky saws have a side tensioner for the chain, there are still a few that dont, but its still not a pain to tighten it!

The Stihl haveing an inboard clutch is nice, but you have more problems. I often get them in where the clutch blows apart, taking out the oiler and at time taking out the nipple to the gas tank. Recently I had one, where the saw cost $300, and the repair was going to run just over $200. The saw was about a year old.

The air filter cover on the Stihl is nice only because you have to clean the damn thing all the time. You rarely have to clean it on a Husky. Also look at the O29, where as on a Husky you undo 3 screws to get into everything, you cant do this on the Stihl. How do you clean around the cylinder fins? When they gete packed with sawdust and baroil there is no cooling of the engine!! If you spend over an hour to tear it down to clean it you can. Personally itll take under 5 min. with any Husky!!

The comment on the switch and the bar is just ignorant!! The bar, if equiped with a sprocket nose will need to be greased! Only if you have a solid tip bar will you not have to!

The chains all have oil grooves no matter manufacture! Oregon makes the chain and bars for Husky and for over 50% of the world. Stihl does have nice chain but its not worth buying the saw to get it!!!

The last comment about not revving high is a joke! Husky had one that revved over 15k rpm. There highest right now is 14,700 rpm. HP and tq are going to be about the same with either saw, some Husky may be higher some Stihl may be higher.

All in all the Husky IS a better saw then Stihl!!!

Travis Followell
12-27-2004, 06:36 AM
Does anyone know who makes the Cub Cadet commercial saws and where they are made?

lawnchopper
12-27-2004, 11:20 AM
"Just to keep everyone up to date on saws, for starters, All but 2 models (136,141) are manufactured in Sweden"
which saws are not made in sweeden?? are they any good?

Smalltimer1
01-11-2005, 11:26 AM
I have been working at the Electrolux plant in Anderson, SC for a few weeks on a temporary project. In this plant they make only refrigerators but they have a 'test track' (so to speak) where I have seen them testing dozens of lawn mowers in various types of grasses. They test the ones that they make as well as that of the competition.

While I haven't been permitted near the testing, it looks to be heavey duty. They will mow for a while and then they are out measuring and comparing ... sometimes on their hands and knees. I guess that they want to make sure that they measure up ... to what I don't know.

I am told by some of the Electrolux folks that they are the biggest MFGR of mowers in the world since they make mowers that other companys put their own labels on.

It was interesting ... thought you might like to know.

Electrolux makes Craftsman and Poulan lawnmowers.

saw man
01-11-2005, 11:32 AM
Electrolux makes Craftsman and Poulan lawnmowers.

AYP makes the Craftsman mowers.

Smalltimer1
01-11-2005, 11:35 AM
AYP makes the Craftsman mowers.

The Craftsman and Poulan lawnmowers are identical. AYP is a part of Electrolux.

D Felix
01-11-2005, 11:47 AM
Check out the Chainsaw forum at http://www.arboristsite.com.

The amount of info in the the heads on that forum is enough to make your head spin.

The Husky/Stihl debate will forever rage. What it boils down to is either way you go, you probably won't go wrong. Both are good saws, both have their individual flaws. It's really just like a Ford vs. Chevy debate.

Personally, I prefer a Dodge, and any saw besides my POS Poulan!:D

Dan

saw man
01-11-2005, 12:14 PM
The Craftsman and Poulan lawnmowers are identical. AYP is a part of Electrolux.

So is Husky, Jonsered, Weedeater, Blue Bird, Yazoo Kees ~

Doesnt mean Electrolux makes them!! They just own the Co. that do!

D Felix
01-11-2005, 12:17 PM
Uhhh, you forgot about Makita chain saws too.:) Jonsred is making them, I believe.

Dan

Sooners
01-12-2005, 09:12 PM
Let me comment on the Electrolux issue. I used to make chainsaws (as well as everything else) at Electrolux. Poulan was bought out by Weedeater many years ago. Weedeater is under the Fridgidare umbrella and was called FHP (Frigidare Home Products) Fridgidare is owned by Electrolux in Sweden. I can't remember what specific name they go by now. Electrolux also owns Husky. The chainsaws are made in Nashville, Ar. along with the trimmers, blowers, hedge trimmers and edgers. The mowers are a totally different plant. I thought they were made by AYP or somebody like that. Obviously the same MFG. as Craftsman.

Poulan (as I prefer to call them) made the following brands when I was there in the 90's: Poulan Pro, Weedeater, Craftsman, Jonsared, Husqvarna, and 2 or 3 other brands I can't remember. These are the "homeowner" versions. The commercial versions are made elsewhere. If you look at the sticker with the serial no. on it, regardless of the brand or product, you will see an "N" embedded in it (meaning Nashville, Ar.) You might also want to look for the eng. disp. as it may have more cc's. than what's advertised. That's because it's cheaper to make fewer engine sizes. We all want the "biggest bang for the buck" but we might not be getting anything any better. They put a smaller bar on it and advertise it as a smaller engine (which it may not be).

Back then the main difference between the Poulan Pro and Husky vs. the rest of the brands was that the cyl. was chrome plated instead of the piston. Mostly the production line stopped on one brand, changed the color of plastic parts and labels and took off again.

They actually make a decent homeowners chainsaw. I keep one around for light duty sawing. Basically they're all "throw-aways" in a commercial application. I'm 90% Stihl and 5% Husq. and 5% Craftsman

I think the commercial Stihl is now made in the U.S. but the Husq. may still be in Sweden.

jimslawns
01-12-2005, 09:46 PM
Back to the original post.

chainsaws come from chainsaw factories :cool2: