PDA

View Full Version : What to do when theres no fuel shut off?

Petr51488
12-23-2004, 07:04 PM
This question is for winterizing the machines. I did all my 4 cycle things already. My main concern now is the 2 cycle machines and the 4 cycle that don't have a fuel shut off valve. My generator does not have a fuel shut off valve. what do i do gas wise? do i drain the gas? or fill it up to the top with gas/stabilizer? If i keep it full, the carb will gum up eventually. Also, with my stihl blower and trimmer, they obviously don't have fuel shut off valves, do I drain the gas out of them as well? Any info would help. Thanks!

YardPro
12-23-2004, 07:23 PM
read the directions on the stabil !!!!!!!!!!!!
mix the needed amount in the tank and run for 2 minutes.

Petr51488
12-23-2004, 08:20 PM
read the directions on the stabil !!!!!!!!!!!!.

Alright relax buddy. I did and my only concern was that the gum would build up in the carb since there is no fuel shut off valve. Do you know the answer?

JCA1
12-23-2004, 08:25 PM
I have been using stabil in all my outdoor equipment for a few years now. Mine sit all winter just like they do in the summer. They always start on the first try and run perfect. I am persuaded that stabil equals no gum. Even draining untreated gas can lead to varnish sticking things up in the carb.

Green Care
12-23-2004, 08:30 PM
Buy some inline shut off valves fron J-Thomas. Thats what I use with the heavy equip. with the trimmers/blowers dump the gas out and let it run.

YardPro
12-23-2004, 08:31 PM
Alright relax buddy. I did and my only concern was that the gum would build up in the carb since there is no fuel shut off valve. Do you know the answer?

ok once again.
mix stabil with fuel in tank
run for 2 minutes
the running for two minutes puts the fuel with stabil into the carb and intake tract.
stabil keeps fuel from VARNISHING in the carb.

sorry,
guess if you didn't follow that line of thought in the directions, you would not follow it from me either.

mery christmas :)

Petr51488
12-23-2004, 08:38 PM
So, any type of stabilizer will work? I bought a bottle of it in Sears. Fuel Stabalizer. I read the directions and put it in the gass.. that will keep it from gumming it up? Or do i need a special type of stabilizer.

Jay Ray
12-26-2004, 09:20 PM
For 1/4" black rubber fuel hose, needlenose vicegrips will work in a pinch for working on the engine but probably not a good idea for clamping off fuel all winter. They don't have to be set very tight to cut the flow. Just don't knock 'em loose around a space heater, hot muffler, or torch. Installing the valve is definitely better, cheaper, and safer.

Richard Martin
12-27-2004, 03:56 AM
So, any type of stabilizer will work? I bought a bottle of it in Sears. Fuel Stabalizer. I read the directions and put it in the gass.. that will keep it from gumming it up? Or do i need a special type of stabilizer.

No you don't need a special stabilizer. You can use the Sears stabilizer and you will be fine in the spring. Just follow the directions.

Richard Martin
12-27-2004, 03:59 AM
sorry,
guess if you didn't follow that line of thought in the directions, you would not follow it from me either.

You may have been confusing him since what you wrote isn't what is on the back of a bottle of STA-BIL.

Soupy
12-27-2004, 04:37 AM
I use a product called Sea Foam in all equipment year round. It is some good stuff, but can be hard to find. I think AutoZone is carrying it now, and I know Napa carries it.

Sea foam:
Stabilizes fuel
Cleans carburetor
Cleans carbon
Removes moisture
Assures fast starts
Frees sticky rings
Restores power
Upper cylinder lube
Smooths rough idle

http://www.seafoamsales.com/

YardPro
12-27-2004, 07:50 AM
You may have been confusing him since what you wrote isn't what is on the back of a bottle of STA-BIL.

didn't mean to be short. was having a bad day.
those directions ARE on the back of mine. i had gust done all my equipment a few days before.

Richard Martin
12-27-2004, 07:56 AM
those directions ARE on the back of mine.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time but that is not what is written on the back of a bottle of STA-BIL. Go re-read it.

Ah what the hey. Yeah, I'm giving you a hard time and splitting hairs. It says to run the engine for 5 minutes and not 2.
:waving:

YardPro
12-27-2004, 08:05 AM
lol
damn i knew it said something about running it.
guess as i get older my memory goes to crap. LOL
thanks for the clarification richard,

PS Dixie choppers are still U G L Y..
LOL
happy new years.