PDA

View Full Version : Do you need licensed if fertilizing for free?

K.Carothers
12-23-2004, 11:27 PM
If I offer a free fertilizing with new accounts do I still need to be licensed? I was told If the customer buys I can apply-Is this true? What if I buy and apply and not charge the customer?
Thanks

out4now
12-23-2004, 11:58 PM
Sticky one, better check with your pest control board. Varies from state to state. I think that there is a sticky at the top that should connect you with your state board and you can get the rule book for your state, some may even have one on line.

ArizPestWeed
12-24-2004, 01:51 AM
I would say " YES ."
It's not free , it's built into the price .

K.Carothers
12-24-2004, 09:39 AM
I would say " YES ."
It's not free , it's built into the price .

Lets just say that you do give it away for free. Can you do it or not?

crawdad
12-24-2004, 09:53 AM
Lets just say that you do give it away for free. Can you do it or not?

Sure, as long as it is someone that you don't do ANY paid work for. You can help out your neighbor, but not your customers. These people have been sealing up loopholes in the law longer than you've been trying to circumvent them.

Check with your county extension agent for the law as it applies in your state.
Here in Tennessee, straight fertilizer can be applied without a license, but no pesticides.
"Feed" - Yes
"Weed And Feed" - NO
Most people want the "weed and feed" so that's why I said NO at first.
Most people think that because they can buy a product for their own yard, their lawn-man can apply it.

Crawdad

NickN
12-24-2004, 10:01 AM
K,
Check with your states licensing department.In Alabama,one can apply fertilizer and lime with no license.We are required to have a license if ANY type of pesticide(weeds are included as a pest) is to be applied.So,you may be able to apply the fert.,just not a weed and feed.

crawdad
12-24-2004, 10:06 AM
K,
Check with your states licensing department.In Alabama,one can apply fertilizer and lime with no license.We are required to have a license if ANY type of pesticide(weeds are included as a pest) is to be applied.So,you may be able to apply the fert.,just not a weed and feed.

Nick posted while I was editing...
We need someone from PA to clear this up. Jodi, stop stalking odin for a sec, and answer this for us, will you please?
:laugh:

1MajorTom
12-24-2004, 12:39 PM
What are we talking about here? When he says fert what exactly does he mean?

Does he need a pesticide applicator license?
Certification as a commercial or public applicator is required if:

A pesticide application is being made to a property not owned or rented by the applicator or their employer.
Restricted use pesticides or fumigants are being applied on property rented or owned by the applicator.
It doesn't matter if it's free, you still need one. That's how I interpret it. Call the extension office for clarification though.
Who is odin?

ArizPestWeed
12-24-2004, 12:44 PM
According to some of the post I've seen here , you need a license to apply Fertilizers in some states .
I believe Florida is one .

crawdad
12-24-2004, 06:59 PM
What are we talking about here? When he says fert what exactly does he mean?

Does he need a pesticide applicator license?
Certification as a commercial or public applicator is required if:

A pesticide application is being made to a property not owned or rented by the applicator or their employer.
Restricted use pesticides or fumigants are being applied on property rented or owned by the applicator.
It doesn't matter if it's free, you still need one. That's how I interpret it. Call the extension office for clarification though.
Who is odin?
Good answer.
Odin is some dude with ruffled feathers, I hear. Sounds kinda strange to me.

E-9 Lawncare
12-24-2004, 07:48 PM
I'm in PA, and unless your applying to your own lawn, you need a public applicators license. Just for clarification, do what major tom said and call your local ag center. I'm sure they would help you out.

K.Carothers
12-25-2004, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the input. I am just gathering info on ideas- nothing wrong with that. I asked on another thread if that made sense and I am getting mixed results. This is a business to me not a hobby and I like to look at every angle which we all should do. I will look into the details and keep you posted about the applications given if it is free. The bottom line doesn't matter where the money came from it only matters if it is in your account and the way you go about getting that money(honestly,ethically,morally) .

LwnmwrMan22
12-26-2004, 01:02 AM
Thanks for the input. I am just gathering info on ideas- nothing wrong with that. I asked on another thread if that made sense and I am getting mixed results. This is a business to me not a hobby and I like to look at every angle which we all should do. I will look into the details and keep you posted about the applications given if it is free. The bottom line doesn't matter where the money came from it only matters if it is in your account and the way you go about getting that money(honestly,ethically,morally) .

Best thing you can do, get all the licenses / insurance that is/ are available, and charge for it. You're only covering yourself in case a problem arises and a lawyer gets involed later.

rkk95
12-26-2004, 08:30 AM
K. Carothers,

I am in Pa, You have to have a liscence if you apply anything that has an e.p.a. registration number on it. That includes any type of weed control, insect control, or crabgrass control. You can apply straight fertilizer, and charge people for it, but that is not going to make the lawn look much better. If you would like I would be happy to do your lawn applications for you, but they will not be done for free.
I don't understand why you would want to do anything for free, when you could charge for it. I don't know what area you are working in around Pittsburgh, but North hills, South hills, and Sewickley are great areas and the people are not affraid to pay for good results.

K.Carothers
12-26-2004, 12:39 PM
K. Carothers,

I am in Pa, You have to have a liscence if you apply anything that has an e.p.a. registration number on it. That includes any type of weed control, insect control, or crabgrass control. You can apply straight fertilizer, and charge people for it, but that is not going to make the lawn look much better. If you would like I would be happy to do your lawn applications for you, but they will not be done for free.
I don't understand why you would want to do anything for free, when you could charge for it. I don't know what area you are working in around Pittsburgh, but North hills, South hills, and Sewickley are great areas and the people are not affraid to pay for good results.

I asked a question in another forum about gaining business by offering a 4step program to new accounts for signing up. As you know nothing is free I was just manipulation numbers and verbage. Thanks for your input. Where did you get licensed?PennS? Also, do buy in bulk locally?

E-9 Lawncare
12-26-2004, 01:40 PM
Here's a link to the Penn State website: http://www.pested.psu.edu/
Look around and see when they offer the test in your area. You will have to pass the CORE and at least category 7. Costs $50 for the CORE and $10 for the category. You will need the study materials as well. CORE is closed book, categories are open..Trust me, you will need the study materials for the category test. Alot more detailed than I thought it would be.

Garden Panzer
12-26-2004, 04:22 PM
Straight fert here... only tonnage fees which start at the 100 ton level.
Any aps of a pesticide, even soaps, a pesticide being something which kills something or offers control you need a wsdoa tag...
everywhere is different, to exercise the better side of caution.... I would take the test and pay the bond..

:waving:

rkk95
12-26-2004, 08:19 PM
Call the county extension office, I believe the # is 724-443-1585 They will tell you every thing that you need to know about being legal to apply pesticides. I buy most of my products from UHS, they are in Butler. I think that you might be better off to go to Lesco being that you are just getting started They will give you some info to get you going. Lesco is located on nicholson road accross from Diamond Run country club, that is off of I79 at the Mt. Nebo exit if you don't already know.

K.Carothers
12-27-2004, 11:02 AM
I want to thank all of you for your imput. Its nice to know that there are people that are willing to offer their hard learned experiences to others.
Thanks again!

Ken