PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a big spring for trailer gate assist

Soupy
12-24-2004, 02:58 AM
Does anyone know were I can get a good sized torsion spring (like in picture, but bigger). I want to put two of them near the hinges so they will tighten up when lowered and help the gate spring back up with just a nudge.

I plan on taking some steel or iron tubes and cutting them to fit each end of the spring to hold them in place. These tubes will be welded to the trailer of course. One tube will go on the bottom of gate and the other will go below that on the trailer frame. they will be vertical so the springs will tighten as it is lowered.

Thanks much,
Soupy

STAN1366
12-24-2004, 03:15 AM
Try a trailer mfg. I've seen then before, but I don't remember what brand of trailer I saw them on.

Soupy
12-24-2004, 03:28 AM
I seen them too. I called the trailer co. and they said that they don't sell the parts. They install them on all trailers and if I wanted they would sell me a trailer :)

I also need help figuring the correct size spring. I'm going to ask my neighbor (engineer) if he can calculate stress/load pressure for me.

JKOOPERS
12-24-2004, 05:38 AM
try this site soupy its right here in st. louis http://www.indspring.com/

Precision
12-24-2004, 08:57 AM
go to northerntool.com. They have a trailer gate assist. One at 300 lb assist and one at 150lb assist. I am not sure of prices.

osc
12-24-2004, 09:14 AM
Try using garage door springs. Cheap and effective. By the way, design is everything.

glllc
12-24-2004, 10:54 AM
My new big tex came with them. same ones as in the pic try a big tex dealer.

Albemarle Lawn
12-24-2004, 04:48 PM
Look up the number on Yahoo Yellow Pages

leeslawncare
12-24-2004, 08:05 PM
I've got garage door springs on mine they work great.

Soupy
12-24-2004, 08:40 PM
I know all about other methods of creating a gate assist. I want this method because it is safer and less bulky.

Sir mowsalot
12-24-2004, 10:32 PM
I've got garage door springs on mine they work great.

How did you mount them springs? down towards the trailer floor or up on the railing? I am going to give it a try, but i was sitting here thinking how in the heck do you know where to drill the holes for mounting them for the tension purposes? Almost seems like you need to figure a way of being able to have a mount that you can adjust the tension to get it right. If you could share how you did yours i would really appreciate it. One more thing, did you use anything like pvc tubing or something to put over the springs or just leave them open?