PDA

View Full Version : Any of your equipment ever end up in a pool?

ashs inc
12-24-2004, 09:27 AM
Earlier this year an employee was blowing around a pool with my NEW Shindaiwa EB630 blower. Backed right into it and did a nestea plunge. It was a accident. I did not get up set and we got him out of the pool before any gas and oil got out we think. I drained the blower of gas and water replaced the spark plug and sprayed WD 40 in the spark plug and Wow after 10 pulls cranked right up. Any body else had this happen????

Gmgbo
12-24-2004, 09:41 AM
i was mowing a around a pond on a steep bank with my w/b untill the ground sunk in and the back of the mower and me went into the pond. the mower was fine the water barely touched the engine, but we had 2 pull it out with the truck......its almost a pool because the guy told me there is snakes in there so he only goes swimming when he is "half if the bag". just thought id share my story.

Mowerboy04
12-24-2004, 10:53 AM
cutting down by the lake at my cottage with the garden tracor hit some soft sand and ended up about 5 ft in the water. water only came up to the deck though.

Garden Panzer
12-24-2004, 10:59 AM
I had a couple guys dunk a 48" in the lake, they then brought down a truck to tow it out, the truck ended up in the lake as well....
:rolleyes:
I could have pistol whipped the guy who was leading the crew.....
:realmad:
:dizzy:

Kelly's Landscaping
12-24-2004, 12:05 PM
Was very very close once my then boss was cutting the front lawn of this larger house. Back then he only had WBs so I was in the back on mine he was near the side on his. We were using side baggers well he stopped to take is off he had removed the safeties on his mowers and he had the snapper 48 in 5th gear. Wouldn't you know it he bumped the handle with the bagger as he removed it she broke free and spun around and around at mach 1 like 3 times then the other side popped. Thing plowed right into the stockade fence near the pool hit it so hard it broke through. The fence bottom rail snapped the middle rail snapped leaving only the top one the mower went right under it as it went up like a garage door. The blade lever got hung up on the wood and was the only thing that stopped it. She was stuck under the fence spinning her tires a whole 4 feet from and above ground pool just begging to rip though the side of that. Glad I did not have to tell the customer LOL.

YardPro
12-24-2004, 12:18 PM
we have lost alot of pagers and cell phones in pools ( on our pool service division)

TURFLORD
12-24-2004, 12:54 PM
Some of you guys that have been doing this awhile might remember the old Bobcat walkers with the cheesy thumb locks that would slip every now and then. I caught a 36" at the last second from taking a dip in a customers pool. The rear tires were on the pools coping, inches from going in. NO LIE.

PLI1
12-24-2004, 01:07 PM
Several years ago I lost a Dixie Chopper in a pond. All you could see was the top of the seat. There was a severe slope from 50 feet in toward the pond. I told the guy using it at least 5 times to not go near the slope or any severe slope with a ZTR and that someone else would follow up in that area with a wb. Lo and behold a half hour later I drive by and see just the top of the seat of the mower and the guy standing there like an idiot looking at it. I grabbed a chain and the front end loader, told him to go back in and hook the chain up and I pulled it out. Lost a coulple Dixies in creek beds also. When I was a greens superintendent, the bone head award went to the guy who drove a 9 gang Toro Parkmaster ALL THE WAY into one of the ponds. It sunk way deep into the muck in the bottom of the pond and took about a day and a half to dismantle and remove all the gang mowers and other parts to yank the thing out safely. For anyone who doesn't know what a Toro Parkmaster looks like, it is a 18 foot wide rough mower that looks like a giant octopus that has arms that lift each gang mower up or down. I have a friend that worked a golf course where one of the employees drove a cushman truckster into a creek bed where it flipped over in the creek and killed him.

Garden Panzer
12-24-2004, 01:44 PM
I also remember a couple guys skid down the side of a steep embankment to hit a chainlink fence, and a good one too.... It was a giant water rentention pond that was an offleash dog area.... they went to service a trashcan and ended up 300 feet down, they got winched out. :rolleyes:

Another time, a trailer jumped hitch in the middle lane of a 3 narrow lane bridge.....how nothing happened I really don't know. Anyone in this sport has had "ROAD-WARRIOR" things happen, IE. branches fall off trucks... LOL reminds me I lost about 4 X-Mas trees on a LARGE bridge, they fell off right when you hit the top...LOL!!!

Had a sprayer go off in traffic once, spray cars! LOL!

Each year brings something new!

:waving:

Itsgottobegreen
12-25-2004, 08:06 PM
I have heard a few stories from friend losing walkbehinds in ponds and pools. Dame near done that myself. (don't you just hate having the half nude chick just lying around the pool distracting you.)

But I heard one about this idiot that worked with a buddy of mine. We this idiot flipped a brand new skid loader into a pool. He backed right up to the pool while grading and back right into it. The pool was filled. He got out of the cab real quick. They had to get a crane to get it out along with a rebuild of the engine.

richard coffman
12-25-2004, 08:33 PM
can't say I've ever had anything like that happen to me, I've stayed away from pool areas and keep those for the push mowers and weed eaters. there was a crew leader back in Virginia, a good friend of mine, who was running a hydro 48 made my encore. well, he'd leave the lever on full haul but put on the grip locks, well, one of them cme off and spun around and took down a nice fence that was a customers of ours, called it in to have it fixed asap, well, after that, he was about to take off but went to pick something up, the lock on the handle came loos again, spun around and went straight through a really nice garage door missing the car parked outside. I heard the whole thing over the radio, I'n my time, I've never ever had ever seen this ex marine cry, but this was way too much. had to replace the entire garage door system, the customer was so pissed, we knew we'd lost the account before it was all said and over with. had the customer for 2 years before hand. I know plenty of other stories, but I'll wait and save that for other threads.

Respectfully,

Richard/Owner ;) ;) ;)

ODwyerPW
12-30-2004, 12:52 AM
For a Waterfall install this fall, we were having to cart large boulders down a 30 foot hill. I had no problem carting it in a wheel barrow, but my help just couldn't manage it. So for the second day I bought a steel mule cart. Within 5 minutes the help had it laying in the bottom of the lake at the bottom of the falls with about 250 lbs of boulders in it.

I had to wade up to my shoulders, empty it out and pull it ashore. Bent 3 of the wheels. $70 gone.

ProMo
12-30-2004, 07:48 AM
back in the day of working for the other guy he fust bought a brand new wb and the girl using it parked it on a slope and it wasnt there when she returned, It took me over an hour just to find it about 35 feet deep in a retention pond. It was funny when the owner brought it in thinking the warranty would cover it. The same guy about 300lbs of him was blowing off the pool area of a 12 acre residential when the homowners wife came out in a thong, the guy blowing lost his step and was in the pool that was 2o yrs ago and im still laughing about it.

Doster's L & L
12-30-2004, 04:55 PM
Well..... yeah.... I've had something like that to happen to me. When i was still in high school, i was working for my dad, training to take over the biz after graduating. After a long night of partying and an early morning of "Get up and work!" i headed out to my least favorite job cuz i wanted to get this one over with! This also happened to be his best paying job. There is a pond on the prop that has a nice slope. From the top of the levy to the water is only about 6-7', but its fairly steep.... maybe about 35 degree angle, maybe less. For safety's sake, we normally only mow the top 2-3' of the slope when its DRY. Of course, I'm not feeling so hot, due to the lack of hydration in my system. So, since i dont like weedeating anyway, i think its a GREAT IDEA to just go ahead and see how close this mower will really get to the water without it sliding right in. This way, i wont have to do quite so much weedeating today or any other time in the future. I'm thinking "Dad's really gonna be proud of me once he see's how much time we're gonna save due to us not having to weedeat as much as we used to do!" Sure enough! i didnt get half way down along the slope until the top tire of the mower [(WOODS front deck) never buy one!!] starts spinning, and by this time, i know that i am going in the water, its only a matter of time. So while i exhaust my efforts of trying to get back on the top of the levy, i wear away all of the grass from the bank, and i am now in the water WITH the mower, trying to keep it from sinking to the bottom of the pond. The only thing that was exposed after all was said and done, was the top 1-2" of one of the handles. After dad helped pull this water logged machine out of the pond, he gave me the greatest revelation about how if i ever did anything that dumb again...... :realmad: Folks, that was the last time i got that mower or any other, that close to the pond again!

J & B Lawncare
12-21-2005, 01:45 PM
We used to have a creek that ran through one of the estates. The best way to weed eat the bank at spots was from in the creek. So ever few weeks I would walk part of the creek bed and weed eat the banks. Nope I don't put the weed eater in the creek the foreman walked down to check on my supply needs. I saw him coming down the hill so I shut down the Echo weed eater and set it on the bank. As he gets near he stumbles and drop kick it in the creek. After a fast retreival and a real short visit from the foreman, I did get it restarted after cleaning it up. When the job dried up 2 years later it still ran fine.

J & B

TURF DOCTOR
12-21-2005, 02:29 PM
lol a good 1, we mow high end accounts we have never took a dip we have slipped and got our feet wet a close 1.

nitrotim
12-21-2005, 04:04 PM
I have heard a few stories from friend losing walkbehinds in ponds and pools. Dame near done that myself. (don't you just hate having the half nude chick just lying around the pool distracting you.)

But I heard one about this idiot that worked with a buddy of mine. We this idiot flipped a brand new skid loader into a pool. He backed right up to the pool while grading and back right into it. The pool was filled. He got out of the cab real quick. They had to get a crane to get it out along with a rebuild of the engine.

Where is old fareway, calvin when you need him. I wonder since he invented the stair climber walk behind if he is working on an amphibious unit.

rodfather
12-21-2005, 04:09 PM
Where is old fareway, calvin when you need him. I wonder since he invented the stair climber walk behind if he is working on an amphibious unit.

Another one like BG that is MIA tim:p

lawnboy dan
12-21-2005, 06:29 PM
back when i used to trim palms i was up in the top of one over a large pool when a huge rat decided to jump ship from the palm -into the pool. just another remonder why it isnt worth it to trim palms

jtkplc
12-21-2005, 06:56 PM
i've "rinsed" a trimmer in a pond. started up after a couple pulls and it's still running a year later. the sentar we used i wanted to run in a pond, never did, however. i hated that machine, only positive was the cut, better than exmark.

lawnspecialties
12-21-2005, 07:51 PM
Had the SuperZ slip in a soft spot beside a pond. About a foot and a half drop. The left wheel and exhaust under water with the mower pointing almost straight up. I leaned forward (thinking I was going in myself) and put the arms out to lock the brakes. Kept the engine running to keep water out of the muffler. She just kept bubbling back there 'til I brought the truck over with a tow strap.

P & L Turf
12-21-2005, 08:11 PM
No pools, but I have had guys fall into canals. We maintain a marina and I've had a couple of guys fall off the docks and end up about waist deep, give or take a foot or two, in the water. Luckily each time it has happened nothing has happened to the blower. Jobs like this is where a navigator or a walker comes in real handy, because no matter what you do the wind always blows the grass up on the boats. So then our time there is increased because we end up having to blow off all the boats. I have to admit, it is pretty funny watching these guys fall off the docks.:eek:

mkwl
12-21-2005, 10:11 PM

Hey itsgottobegreen, what happened to all the standers. You used to be the Wright products spokesman.

Itsgottobegreen
01-14-2006, 03:39 PM
Hey itsgottobegreen, what happened to all the standers. You used to be the Wright products spokesman.

Sold all but 1. Wright kinda pissed me off.

mkwl
01-14-2006, 03:44 PM
Sold all but 1. Wright kinda pissed me off.

If you don't mind me asking, WHAT happened, you used to be "the unoffical Wright spokesman"?