PDA

View Full Version : Hustler bagging system

musselman
12-24-2004, 03:40 PM
I am going to be buying a new Hustler Super Z in the next couple of weeks (Merry Christmas to me) I will also be getting a bagging system for it...I know why bag? It because the people I work for demand it in the contract...anyways to my question. What type of bagging system is best the bac-vac or the three bag system. has anyone used both?
How good does the Hustler bag? I hope to mulch most of the time, but I have to bag also. While im asking any suggestions on engines would be helpful...Im leaning toward the 28 hp kohler.

wojo23323
12-24-2004, 04:02 PM
We have the three bagger on our super z. It works great and leaves a nice clean cut.

AEW
12-24-2004, 07:42 PM
Go with the Honda engine...I am not too sure if Hustler puts a Honda engine that large on any machines...but I have a 20 hp Honda on my Hustler and love it. I have never had any problems out of any Honda engine...ever. But I can understand wanting a larger engine....if they put a Honda on it nearly that big..I would go with the honda for sure.

gene gls
12-25-2004, 12:38 AM
I demoed a Super Z 60" with a Kohler 27 or 28 HP,nice engin. It was night and day differance compaired to my Kawi 25 HP. I prefer the standard Bac-Vac unit because most of my collecting has on site dumping. Back up to the pile or in the woods and dump from the seat verses getting off the machine to empty the bags. The Bac-Vac unit works very good on grass and leaves but not so well on sticks. My Walker will do it all but is slower because its a smaller unit.

Gene

Travis Followell
12-25-2004, 09:01 AM
Which bagger to get really depends on what type of properties you will be mowing. If you can dump right on the property then you would be better off with the bac vac. On the other hand of you have to haul off the grass then you'd probibly be better off with the three bag unit so you can bag the grass and haul it off.

As for the engines, personally I wouldn't buy anything but a Kohler. Kohlers are great engines IMO. We have several of them where I work and they get used hard and they never let us down. The 27 hp has plenty of power for a 60" deck but if you want fuel efficiency then by all means get the 28 hp efi engine. It is supposed to have more power than a carbureted engine, start easier in cooler weather, have better throttle response, and most importantly burn a lot less fuel so if you mow enough accounts the engine would probibly pay for itself the first year. The Hustlers are also available with Honda and Kawasaki engines but I wouldn't recommend one. I have heard both engines have had several problems. The Honda's have had some electrical problems and the Kawasaki's have had carb problems, problems with crankshaft seals going out and eventually blowing the engine and also surging and Kawasaki can't even figure out whats wrong with some of their engines. Thats why I like to stick with american made engines. The parts for a Kohler are about half the price of Kawasaki and Honda parts. Hope this helps.

Branchland
12-25-2004, 11:00 AM
I have the 27 Kol with a bac vac system. Love it.

musselman
12-25-2004, 01:58 PM
Thanks guys...do both bagging systems remove quickly? I will more than likely go with the 28 efi Kohler. Have the 26 efi on my walker and love it. Wish I could afford the diesel.

Metro Lawn
12-25-2004, 02:18 PM
Thanks guys...do both bagging systems remove quickly? I will more than likely go with the 28 efi Kohler. Have the 26 efi on my walker and love it. Wish I could afford the diesel.

We use the Bac-Vac system on our machines. It removes in less than a minute by just removing a couple of pins. The Bac Vac also has wheels on it for easy moment and storage.

lawncare4u
02-15-2005, 11:04 PM
I am going to be buying a new Hustler Super Z in the next couple of weeks (Merry Christmas to me) I will also be getting a bagging system for it...I know why bag? It because the people I work for demand it in the contract...anyways to my question. What type of bagging system is best the bac-vac or the three bag system. has anyone used both?
How good does the Hustler bag? I hope to mulch most of the time, but I have to bag also. While im asking any suggestions on engines would be helpful...Im leaning toward the 28 hp kohler.

I have a 60'' deck-25 KA with a Bac-Vac....awesome,does a great job ,flat ground or on hills :waving:

bayfish
02-15-2005, 11:14 PM
I have the 24 hp Honda with a 3 bag bagging system. The Honda is a good motor, no problems after 450 hours. The bagging system is very good. I use it mostly for leaves.

Gruneich Lawn Care, Inc.
02-16-2005, 12:08 AM
I have the Super Z 28hp with a Bac Vac, love it. I demoed one with a 24hp Honda and it didnt seem to have enough power with a 60" deck and the bagger for me. The Kohler 28EFI has 44.8 pounds of torque while the Honda 24hp has 37.5 pounds of torque, makes a pretty big difference for me. Fuel consumption is also better on the 28efi kohler than the Honda that I demoed.

captken
02-16-2005, 02:11 AM
I have the 3 bagger. No major issues to report. However, the bags need to be taken care of as I have gone through 2 due to heat issues with the hot exhaust gas. Screw fell out of the kit's supplied exhaust tip extension [which also diverts the gas, down and to the left of the machine] allowing the exhaust tip to fall off which in turn caused the hot exhaust gas to flow directly on to the kits supplied heat shield [that you have to install over the factory muffler guard] causing it to get extremely hot, which in turn scorched a hole in the left bag, while backing the machine up to compost heap. [bag touched the kits supplied heat shield....I tried double screwing the replacement tip on, same thing happened, so I welded the next one, no problems yet, still that left bag gets hot, so I alternate the bags after dumping them so they will wear evenly. Don't back the mower with the bagger installed onto your trailer, wind from highway speed will cause the fabric to flap, damaging it, easy to repair, if you are a sailor. Always park it on the trailer facing foward...I shouda known...

Sucked part of a brick up into the blower, stopped unit, smoked the belt, caused a crack in one of the impeller blades. Hustler [shipped free overnight] the replacement. Cost about $125.00 for the part, ouch! Decided to replace the bearing though I doubted it needed it.
I run doubles, gator. Leaves, sticks, debris pulverizes nicely, Holds quite a bit. [more than the bac vac] Will hold enough wet mulched leaves to float the front end, with the factory weight kit installed!
kenny

The blower will suck the chrome off.......you get my drift...

Set rpm's to 3600 under load, turning the blower. You have to remember to throttle back always before disengaging the clutch. Don't want to over speed that engine!

Easy on Easy off. I can't wait to store the thing and reinstall my Qwikchute though.

captken
02-16-2005, 02:29 AM
the wind damage to the fabric [I was refering to] was to the top cover or lid. Which, by the way, is easy to open and shut due to gas charged struts, nice touch. Bags hang low to the ground though. Watch them when backing up. Curbs, leaf piles, thats how I damaged mine.
kenny