PDA

View Full Version : quick 36 or billy goat 33

nitrotim
12-24-2004, 04:57 PM
I fyou had your choice between the quick 36 or billy goat 33 what would you choose.? here is a billy goat on EBAY

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=71272&item=4345134601&rd=1

TURF DOCTOR
12-24-2004, 05:14 PM
Billy goat is true commercial equipment.Local dealer here trying to sell the 2004 stock.

geogunn
12-24-2004, 06:04 PM
I don't think that billy goat is a hydro. the better quick is.

GEO

Mo Green
12-24-2004, 06:58 PM
I was thinking the same thing.

TClawn
12-24-2004, 07:06 PM
quick 36!!

the reasons I bought a quick 36 over the billy goat are:

1. it is a single hydro while the billy goat is a belt drive.

2. it has 3 blades instead of 2 (most 36's) which puts less strain on the on each spindle so they last longer.

3. you get a better deal becuase your buying factory direct (instead of pay for a dealer's 40 percent markup).

4. gary really stands behind his product and believes in it.

5. it has electric start with recoil backup.

if I were you I would either call gary or E-mail him. he can tell you all about the mower and give you more referances.

btw, if you do decide on the quick 36 I would wait until the new year. they are planning on putting a 16hp briggs commercial or 16hp kohler engine on it.

Fareway Lawncare
12-24-2004, 08:37 PM
don't know about the Q36" but the BG33" is a Horrible Machine...Bad Cut...Bad Deck Design.

ZaK18
12-24-2004, 10:02 PM
don't know about the Q36" but the BG33" is a Horrible Machine...Bad Cut...Bad Deck Design.

Ditto, I wouldnt recomend the Billygoat.
I bought one at the begining of last season. it is VERY hard to manuver on small propertys. Bad cut on warm weather grass, and the the 15hp briggs is very thirsty engine.

BTW... it does have 3 blades and electric start, the blades dont overlap and leaves lines of uncut grass

Smithers
12-24-2004, 11:30 PM
i would never buy another belt drive again. had one and hated it.

the Exmark blades do not overlap either.....but cuts damn nice.

i have heard great things about the Quick lately.

richard coffman
12-25-2004, 12:58 AM
I've chatted with Jarry and I'd trust what he has to say, before doing what he does now, he was just like one of us guy's out on the property's cutting grass. they have more options for their machine, and HE's got a big surprise coming out and the end of January, talked with me about it and it's going to be nice.promised i wouldn't spread around what it was. I can't wait to see what they come out with next thou. I'm buying one of his machines as soon as the season kicks back in. well worth the investment inmy opinion.

Respectfully,

Richard/Owner :D :D

cutnedge
12-25-2004, 01:30 AM
HE's got a big surprise coming out and the end of January, talked with me about it and it's going to be nice.promised i wouldn't spread around what it was.
This is the third time I've heard about this so-called "big surprise" that is going to make all our lives easier in this biz.I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm just glad everybody on Lawnsite doesn't take this approach in sharing information about products to improve our business. Otherwise, the topics would be limited to the weather.

bntt68
12-25-2004, 02:03 AM
I own a Billy Goat 33". I love it. It has the 13 H.P. on it. Not a 15 H.P. Very strong machine. It in my opinion leaves a beatiful cut. It also has a 7 gauge deck on it and the Quick is 11 guage deck. i posted some pics of the cut. Try searching for"Billy Goat stripes". It also turns 18oo blade tip speed and the Quick is only 1600,I think. I may be wrong.

Travis Followell
12-25-2004, 08:47 AM
Personally, i'd go with the Quick 36 because of the hydro drive. A lot easier to manuver.

nitrotim
12-25-2004, 10:08 AM
Thanks everyone for their replies. Merry Christmas.

bntt68
12-25-2004, 11:18 AM
Merry Christmas to you too!!!

ZaK18
12-25-2004, 03:01 PM
I own a Billy Goat 33". I love it. It has the 13 H.P. on it. Not a 15 H.P. Very strong machine. It in my opinion leaves a beatiful cut. It also has a 7 gauge deck on it and the Quick is 11 guage deck. i posted some pics of the cut. Try searching for"Billy Goat stripes". It also turns 18oo blade tip speed and the Quick is only 1600,I think. I may be wrong.

oops, The BG does have a 13 HP engine. nonetheless it has horrible fuel consumption. If your cutting cooler weather grass, the mower might give a clean cut. But I wasnt impressed

TClawn
12-25-2004, 04:44 PM
the quick 36 has a 17,500 blade tip speed.

Fareway Lawncare
12-25-2004, 09:36 PM
Both these Units are Not the Best Available...Just a Price Compromise...For Price Shoppers....Wal-Mart Commercial Units.

Faults.

Q36"

-Single Drive Hydro
-No True Mulch Kit
-Deck is Wider than 36"
-3 Blades Won't Mulch or Discharge as well as 2 Longer Blades

BG 33"

-No True Mulch Kit
-Belt Drive
-Really Bad deck Design for discharge in Lush Turf.

If you Want the Best...Pay More & Go 36"eXmark TracerHP's.

TClawn
12-25-2004, 11:25 PM
fareway, why would three blades not discharge as well as two blades?
btw, you can get through a 36" gate with the q36.

out4now
12-25-2004, 11:37 PM
TC isn't the warranty on the Q36 the one that allows you to take it to any mechanic you want?

TClawn
12-26-2004, 12:24 AM
yes it is, that is one of my favorite things about it. if my regular dealer can't get to it for a while I can just take it to somebody else who can get it done faster.

out4now
12-26-2004, 12:31 AM
That's what i thought, I'd go with the Q36 then.

bntt68
12-26-2004, 04:59 PM
Both these Units are Not the Best Available...Just a Price Compromise...For Price Shoppers....Wal-Mart Commercial Units.

Faults.

Q36"

-Single Drive Hydro
-No True Mulch Kit
-Deck is Wider than 36"

BG 33"

-No True Mulch Kit
-Belt Drive

If you Want the Best...Pay More & Go 36"eXmark TracerHP's. So what you are saying is Billy Goat does not make True Commercial Equipment??!!WOW, If you had any experience in this field of work at all you would know that this is not true.DUH, I think alot of other people realize this too. Rookies will be rookies.

Fareway Lawncare
12-26-2004, 07:28 PM
The BG Loaders are great....so are the Push Blowers....Just stay away from their Mowing Line....substandard.

bntt68
12-27-2004, 01:02 AM
How long did you own your B.G. 33" mower Fairway?

TClawn
12-27-2004, 03:51 AM
bntt6, have YOU ever seen how the q36's cut?

I have seen the way that the billy goat's cut on warm season grasses and the results have not been up to par with the q36.

bntt68
12-27-2004, 11:01 AM
No I have not seen the q36 cut. I also have not said one word negative about the q36. I imagine it is a good unit.I will never offer info. on a unit I watched cut or demo, just because I am not the one to set it up. My Billy goat for instance is set up with doubles . I also sharpen my own blades to the exact factory angle and balance them with my Magna Matic balancer. It produces a excellent cut!! I also made an adjustment to my drive system for smoother operation. So my question to you is how long did you own the B.G.33" to come to the conclusion that it cuts poorly? THANX BRENT

65hoss
12-27-2004, 11:52 AM
Faults.

Q36"

-Single Drive Hydro
-No True Mulch Kit
-Deck is Wider than 36"

BG 33"

-No True Mulch Kit
-Belt Drive

If you Want the Best...Pay More & Go 36"eXmark TracerHP's.

As much as it pains me, Fareway is correct about the 3 blades not mulching or discharging as well. :waving:

Why? Simple, they don't create the same amount of airflow. They do not throw clippings as well and tend to clump more. They are very short blades so airflow isn't as good. How do I know? Many may remember I did the field testing on the Hustler Trimstar 36" this season. It was a 36" with the 3 blades. While on dry grass it cut very well, in wet or slightly damp conditions it did not. Airflow with the 3 blades didn't do as well. After all of the field testing by several of us, Hustler is bringing this mower out with a 2 blade system instead. All due to those very reasons.

65hoss
12-27-2004, 11:53 AM
Oh, and which would I chose of the 2? The Quick 36. A friend had the billy goat. It totally sucked.

Ol'time Lawncare
12-27-2004, 02:26 PM
I fyou had your choice between the quick 36 or billy goat 33 what would you choose.? here is a billy goat on EBAY

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=71272&item=4345134601&rd=1
i go with the billy goat cause i dont know any body around here who will work on that 36! unless you do all your repairs.

ZaK18
12-27-2004, 02:51 PM
No I have not seen the q36 cut. I also have not said one word negative about the q36. I imagine it is a good unit.I will never offer info. on a unit I watched cut or demo, just because I am not the one to set it up. My Billy goat for instance is set up with doubles . I also sharpen my own blades to the exact factory angle and balance them with my Magna Matic balancer. It produces a excellent cut!! I also made an adjustment to my drive system for smoother operation. So my question to you is how long did you own the B.G.33" to come to the conclusion that it cuts poorly? THANX BRENT

I put doubles on my B.G. 33" it increased the airflow but still delivered a sub-par cut. The deck design was poor, The first two blades would cut okay but the 3rd blade would get overloaded with grass and not cut clean. the discharge chute was too small and I think that was part of the problem

TClawn
12-27-2004, 02:56 PM
65hoss, I see what you mean about the airflow. personally I have not had any problems with the discharging but I also do not have wet conditions very often.

bntt68, I have seen the billy goat cut for a while now. a local lco has one and I have seen him cutting with it many times.

Fareway Lawncare
12-27-2004, 03:25 PM
The BG has almost the identical deck as a Sutech 33"..

A Small Deck Mower has to do 3 Things Very Well to make it Top Dawg.

1)Effortless Maneuverability---Which Means Twin Hydro Pumps & Wheel Motors

2)Mulch Well---Which Means Fully Baffled Mulch Kit-Not a Block off Plate

3)Compact---Which means a carrier frame that's built for the deck not for multiple decks up to 52"

Both have Number 3) Just Fine but are Lacking in 1) & 2)

The Q36" comes closer to being a Contender.

gusbuster
12-27-2004, 05:16 PM
I have the B.G. 33 and it has worked out fine for me.

The cut, well depends on the condition, but cuts fine for me 95% of the time without having to do a 2nd pass.

Mulching, well, if it's wet and tall, forget about it.
As a bagger, needs some improvement.

What has helped this be a better machine, before delivery, ordered the lower profile back wheels. Makes a heck of difference in cut. The demo model I used had regular tires and cut like crap.

Reason I got the BG, even though I knew they were better machines out there, I needed a shorter frame to be able to fit machines in my small trailer I use. (parking here on city streets is a pain) I had already committed myself to purchase the BG before I had found out about the quick 36.

Do I regret my purchase of the BG? No way. I have cut down my route time by a day and half when I don't have to bag. Leaves me time to do installs which is my money maker for me.