PDA

View Full Version : Electric Brake Help

grass_cuttin_fool
12-24-2004, 04:25 PM
I found a nice new open(tandem) trailer with brakes today on a lot for sale. The trailer I have now doesnt have brakes. Here is my question. Is there a way to keep the brakes released or off for me to get the trailer home till I can get my pick up truck wired and the brake control installed? :help:

Premo Services
12-24-2004, 06:46 PM
When I bought my tandem trailer, it did not have brakes, I took the trailer to have brakes put on it, and then about a week later when I got some time, put the brake control on it.
Are the brakes locked now?
If not you shouldn't have any problems geting it home.

GLS
12-24-2004, 06:53 PM
You will be fine. They won't activate if you don't feed them power via a brake controller.

grass_cuttin_fool
12-24-2004, 06:58 PM
Ok thanx guys for the heads up, Im gonna go back monday and talk turkey with the dealer, Its the last week of the year and I might get a better deal so he doesnt have to pay the merchants tax on Dec 31

earthwerks unlimited
12-31-2004, 06:45 PM
You might be thinking of semi-truck trailer brakes which stay on until released. Those are air brakes. Your new trailer has electric brakes which have a pendulum with an electric coil magnet on the lower end. As you apply power to the magnet, the magnet grabs ahold of the inside of the brake drum pulling the pendulum with it. The pendulum asserts leverage on the brake shoe mechanism, which throws the brakes outward toward the brake drum--and you stop. Releasing power to the magnet, the magnet falls away from the brake drum and springs return it to a neutral position. I say "neutral" because the pendulum will work the same way if you are backing up and apply the brakes--it moves the direction of the brake drum.

Do yourself a favor and before you pick it up MAKE the dealer adjust the brakes using HIS vehicle (in case he rearends someone in the process). Learn from my mistake---I bought a new trailer to haul my 8,000lb. skid steer and found out the hard way the brakes had never been adjusted from the factory (yes, there are self-adjusters in most electric brakes but they have to be set first before they will adjust themselves just like a car or truck). I ended up slightly jack-knifed up onto the median trying to stop on a rainy day--all while a cop was looking at me. When I started getting into the adjustment process I also found that 3 of the 4 magnets were not even connected to wiring harness.