PDA

View Full Version : Heres a real landscaping job..

JB1LNDSCPR
12-24-2004, 11:10 PM
What do you guys think?

i_plant_art
12-24-2004, 11:52 PM
so far so good only see 2 pics there do you have the finshed product yet?

KCLandscape
12-25-2004, 12:36 AM
yea, merry CRAPMIS to that...
Got presents to wrap...

beransfixitinc
12-25-2004, 12:41 AM
umm.. which was the beginning, and which was the end? I'll assume the picture with the nice rock wall and shrubs was the finished product?

ALarsh
12-25-2004, 12:38 PM
I think he is still working on it because the first pic with the stone wall has "before" in the name and the second pic as "day 1" in it.

JB1LNDSCPR
12-25-2004, 06:11 PM
I am done with the project but i can't get the pictures resized to fit the requirements.

YardPro
01-29-2005, 11:04 AM
do it the same way you did the first two

mdb landscaping
01-29-2005, 07:31 PM
open them in paint and click on image...stretch and skew to like 50 % and then your set to upload.

sethsodsquad
01-31-2005, 12:34 AM
Why were you landscaping that? It looked nice before, and it also looked like you did way too much to just take out that little planter.

Seth

YardPro
02-03-2005, 09:21 PM
so where are the finished pics?????

JB1LNDSCPR
02-04-2005, 07:10 PM
Here this should work thanks for the idea with paint

YardPro
02-04-2005, 08:19 PM
looks much better.

man, i love building walls.

A Leaf Above
02-06-2005, 09:00 PM
Awesome job ...Keep it up !

badranman
02-06-2005, 09:17 PM
I have a question. Are the walls beside the stairways straight up and down? I notice the main wall steps back a little with each course. If this were the case with the stair walls then the stair treads would get bigger as you went up if you know what I mean. I helped a friend of mine with a small wall project and this was the problem we ran into. We would of had to chip off the dropped lip on the back of each block to get them to line up to form a true straight wall.

jreiff
02-06-2005, 09:30 PM
JB1LNDSCPR- Looks great. Do you have a picture from the right side, so you would be standing in the yard looking at the driveway. And close up shots near the front door.

Quite a difference from the old landscaping. Sure did clean it up and add alot to the home.

PLM-1
02-06-2005, 09:48 PM
Looks good except for the plastic mailbox! How long did the project take?

Wayne Landscaping
02-06-2005, 10:20 PM
That job looks really good, my mouth hit the floor.

JKOOPERS
02-07-2005, 02:36 AM
i personally think there is way too much setback in the wall by the garage.

jreiff
02-07-2005, 12:01 PM
Ifyou ahve ever built a retaining wall, you would know that every type of block has a set. Most common i believe is 3/4". You can't just build a wall straight up and down, the thing would fall right over.

It's not like JB1LNDSCPR decided that oh i think i will step back the wall this much.

That is all part of building a wall next to a building.

JKOOPERS
02-07-2005, 12:48 PM
your lack of knowledge really shines . 3/4 of inch huh. so when you do a wall DO YOU SETBACK THE BLOCKS 3/4 " . eventually the blocks would be a matter of feet setback from the bottom coarse to the top coarse. I GUESS THAT BUILDS A STRONG WALL HUH . and if you knew anything you can build a wall straight up.how the f%ck do you think they make buildings. the most important part of wall really isnt the wall its the back fill and drainage.

GreenMonster
02-07-2005, 01:00 PM
your lack of knowledge really shines . 3/4 of inch huh. so when you do a wall DO YOU SETBACK THE BLOCKS 3/4 " . eventually the blocks would be a matter of feet setback from the bottom coarse to the top coarse. I GUESS THAT BUILDS A STRONG WALL HUH .

yeah, the setback on some blocks can be measureable in feet. I believe 12 degree Allan Block has a setback of around 2.5" per foot, which would equate to 2.5' setback bottom to top, on a 10' wall. And yes, they do this in order to build a strong wall by increasing leverage.

badranman
02-07-2005, 05:33 PM
I know the setback is built into the blocks. But what about up the stairs? The "setback" would mean the walls on either side of the stairs would get wider as you went up. This would mean the stairs would need to be wider also. I was wondering if you just knocked the setback lip off and built it straight just for the stairs or what?

GreenMonster
02-07-2005, 09:36 PM
I know with Allan Block, you have to score out portion of the bottom of the block -- or go with 3 degree blocks, which is nearly vertical. I try to avoid this by building curved walls, where the setback isn't an issue. Besides, I think the curved stairs look better than 90 stairs. They don't always necessarily work in all conditions, though.

Eric 1
02-07-2005, 09:59 PM
Impressive! It looks really nice.

jreiff
02-07-2005, 10:19 PM
JKOOPERS - Just stick to mowing.

tiedeman
02-08-2005, 01:30 AM
looks sharp looking

D Felix
02-08-2005, 10:21 PM
JKOOPERS- I agree with Eric on this... Stick with mowing until you get the proper training.

Yes, some retaining walls are/can be built vertically. However, the strongest wall has batter. House walls are vertical, BUT they have different loads being placed on them, and require different engineering.

Keystone can be installed vertically. Some Versa-lok walls can be too. Not sure about other manufacturers, but I would be willing to bet this week's paycheck (yes, I'm salaried) that ANY manufacturer rep you talk to will tell you the strongest wall has batter.

To the original poster, the walls look good. Wish I could say the same thing for that red CRAP you put around the plants, but I can't.:D :waving:

Dan

JKOOPERS
02-08-2005, 10:42 PM
lol i have built hundreds of walls . i am just saying too much setback can be bad. versa lok calls for 1/4 - 1/2 setback , that wall looks like it has more than that .

D Felix
02-08-2005, 10:47 PM
What do you classify as "too much setback"?? Installing per manufacturer recommendations?

There's no way you've built hundreds of walls if you believe that VL calls for only 1/4-1/2" set back. There are TWO ways to build VL walls: either VERTICAL or with 3/4" set back per course. There is NO way to achieve 1/4-1/2" setback with VL, unless you modify them somehow.

Download the D&I manual for the Standard block. Better yet, download the D&I manual for the Mosaic walls; it has even more batter. Even better than that, call 1-800-VERSALOK first thing in the morning and talk to the engineers. You might learn something.

If you want to discuss this more, please either PM me or start a new thread in the Landscaping forum. No need to bring this thread any more off topic.

Dan

JKOOPERS
02-08-2005, 10:48 PM
did u you use geo grid?

Lawnworks
02-08-2005, 11:30 PM
These are undoubtedly dumb questions, but is cement used in a large retaining walls like that? If so, where? Also, how do you get the wall perfectly level? Laser?

nkour
02-09-2005, 12:36 AM
Nice looking wall! How did you address the drainage issues?

D Felix
02-09-2005, 07:56 AM
is cement used in a large retaining walls like that99% of the time, no. You *can* use concrete for the base, but there is no need too. If you use concrete, it needs to be a very lean mix (200-300 psi, most sidewalks are ~3-4k psi). Most of the time a 6" deep gravel base that is 1' wider than the block is deep is adequate. Not to mention easier to install.

Generally, when concrete is used, an engineer has decided that it is necessary due to site/soil conditions.

Dan

YardPro
02-09-2005, 08:42 AM
JKOOPERS--- open mouth, insert foot.....

ther are a lot of walls that have a lip on the back that detrmines the set back...
also read ANY installation guide and they will give approx. heights for the available setbacks that wall can be built.
ALWAYS the more setback the higher the wall, and the less grid.

Celtic wall for example is 30" (approx) on a straight batter,
on the set back clip position the wall can be built 42"...
the set back on these in only 1/2inch or so per block.. not much.. but it still adds a foot of height.....

i also say stick with mowing until you take a wall class

cgland
02-13-2005, 12:55 PM
Jbloopers - Hundreds of walls huh? I doubt it! Hundreds of walls built by you w/ no warranty = hundreds of piles of rubble. Do some reading before you open your mouth. Most people here are very knowledgeable.

JKOOPERS
02-14-2005, 02:37 AM
hey f$ck all of you

Mowman29
02-14-2005, 03:09 AM
I agree Black Mulch would look better on that red brick backdrop.

Turf Dancer
02-14-2005, 03:46 AM
Nice project! Most of the guys around here build walls that look like a roller coaster track.

D Felix
02-14-2005, 02:02 PM
hey f$ck all of youI like that name, Chris!:)

It's kinda funny, ya know... Someone starts spouting off about this and that, and gee, know what? If they are wrong, they will be told so, especially on a forum like this.

So, JK, I notice you haven't taken me up on my offer of either PM's or a new thread. Is that 'cause you realized you were WRONG??

GreenMonster
02-14-2005, 02:07 PM
hey f$ck all of you

hmmm. Some guys stick their foot in their mouth here, and are big enough to admit their mistake and apologize.

Then, there's the little boys that take their ball and go home to suck on mommy's tit.

Don't get mad at us, Koop. You stepped on your own dick.

D Felix
02-14-2005, 02:16 PM
Mark, I must say, sometimes you just have a way with words!:D :laugh: :laugh:

I'm laughing so hard I can hardly type!:waving:

GreenMonster
02-14-2005, 02:20 PM
Mark, I must say, sometimes you just have a way with words!:D :laugh: :laugh:

I'm laughing so hard I can hardly type!:waving:

Well, I'm at my "real" job today, and I'm getting over a nasty cold, so I'm a miserable prick. :angry:

I did just reread my post though, and it made me smile too. :D

AL Inc
02-14-2005, 03:56 PM
LMAO at Greenmonster, that is funny :laugh:

MarcusLndscp
02-19-2005, 10:47 PM
LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO!
Single handedly the funniest thing I've ever read on here!

YardPro
02-21-2005, 08:30 AM
LMAO that was funny....

great responce

centralarlawn
02-21-2005, 04:36 PM
hmmm. Some guys stick their foot in their mouth here, and are big enough to admit their mistake and apologize.

Then, there's the little boys that take their ball and go home to suck on mommy's tit.

Don't get mad at us, Koop. You stepped on your own dick.

LMAO Thats great man!!! haha

JKOOPERS
02-22-2005, 01:38 AM
i dont get mad . but hey i did look on versa lok website and i didnt seee anything about the setback. alls i was trying to say from the pic it looked like alittle too much thats all. not a big f$cking deal .

sethsodsquad
02-22-2005, 01:55 AM
i dont get mad . but hey i did look on versa lok website and i didnt seee anything about the setback. alls i was trying to say from the pic it looked like alittle too much thats all. not a big f$cking deal .
You said it was a little too much, yes, but then you went around and said: "your lack of knowledge really shines . 3/4 of inch huh. so when you do a wall DO YOU SETBACK THE BLOCKS 3/4 " . eventually the blocks would be a matter of feet setback from the bottom coarse to the top coarse. I GUESS THAT BUILDS A STRONG WALL HUH . and if you knew anything you can build a wall straight up.how the f%ck do you think they make buildings. the most important part of wall really isnt the wall its the back fill and drainage."

That's why people are mad at you.

Check out this link:
http://www.versalok.com/homeowner/hInstallTips.htm

Look at step 4.

Seth