PDA

View Full Version : trimmer line on stihl trimmer

postman
12-25-2004, 04:20 AM
want is the best line i can use on my fs-80r stihl trimmer thank you for your help . :waving:

mowerman111
12-25-2004, 06:58 AM
well I dont use anything but Echo brand trimmer line it goes twice as far as Stihl brand or anything else i've tried, I've used Echo for twenty years. but the trick to making it last is carry it in a bucket with a small amount of water in it all the time.

Travis Followell
12-25-2004, 07:13 AM
We use what ever line we can get. The Echo 0.95 trimmer line seems to work the best for us.

stevesmowing
12-25-2004, 08:30 AM
gator line works well. I like the square better than the round. I almost never have it break off on me.

Texas Mower Parts
12-26-2004, 07:26 PM
We sell mostly Gator line here at the store.
$27.43 for the 5lb roll

65hoss
12-26-2004, 11:47 PM
Gator magnum .095 is probably the best or one of the very best on the market. It will last 3-4 times longer than regular line.

hagerg
01-07-2005, 10:25 PM
On a post by someone on this site I read about soaking trimmer line in water. We always soaked our cast nets in water + Downy fabric softener overnight. They were softer and opened much better..... no hang-ups. Gonna try this with trimmer line. I'm sure it will feed better in auto feed heads. If nothing else, it will smell better. I'll let folks know how it works.

out4now
01-07-2005, 10:56 PM
Echo Cross fire or Diamond edge. Echo seemed to last longer though.

procut
01-08-2005, 07:29 PM
I've also had very good luck with Echo trimmer line. Lasts the longest out of anything i have found. Its worth the extra $$ it costs compared to some other brands.

Texas Mower Parts
01-08-2005, 07:33 PM
I've also heard that you should soak trimmer line in water for a day or two, I've just never done it.

LLandscaping
01-08-2005, 08:05 PM
We use echo crossfire .95 line because we got a good deal on it over the Internet for $8 a 5lb spool the minimum order was 6 spools. (we have enough for a while) It works good and we got a great price, we bought it from a guy on Lawnsite in the equipment market place a few years back.

PALawnGuy461
01-08-2005, 11:19 PM
As many have already said, the Echo line will outlast nearly any other brand.I've also found that Husquvarna makes line with titanium in it which also works well but is rather pricey. Either way, I recommend the 0.95 diameter for normal grass, and 1.35 for heavy stuff. Put 1.35 in your Stihl and it will anialate anything.

trimmerlineman
01-18-2005, 03:29 PM
How significant, if important at all, would it be, to be able to purchase professional grade ( co polymer) trimmer line for substantial savings and have it delivered to your door?
Is the cost of line a big concern?
What most prefered spool size?
Any specific reason for the spool size?
Can anyone tell me why some choose round others square line? and they don't change.
So far I got a mixed response from end users, but no reason for their choices.
:dizzy:

K&L Landscaping
01-18-2005, 05:54 PM
How significant, if important at all, would it be, to be able to purchase professional grade ( co polymer) trimmer line for substantial savings and have it delivered to your door?
Is the cost of line a big concern?
What most prefered spool size?
Any specific reason for the spool size?
Can anyone tell me why some choose round others square line? and they don't change.
So far I got a mixed response from end users, but no reason for their choices.
:dizzy:

We use and prefer the Stihl .105 square line. However, we use big trimmers (Stihl FS250s) that have tons of power that can handle the larger line size. The square line seems to cut cleaner and faster than the traditional round line. Also, if you were so inclined to use your trimmer improperly as an edger the square line makes a pretty decent edge. Please don't flame me for suggesting we use a trimmer as an edger. We ALWAYS use the right tool for the job!

trimmerlineman
01-18-2005, 10:47 PM
Do you use .105 square on everything? What is your main type of work ( residential, commercial, highways)?
I heard from some guys that 0.080 would give the cleanest cut on grass( residential) and avoid the brown tips that heavier line leaves and then again I heard from some guys that do highways that 0.105 cuts everything and saves time at the end, to these guys the only thing that counts is speed, looks are irrelevant. Others drill the heads and use .155 square to cut cane grass. Some people still looking for the twisted line that Suffix had ( I understand this line is no longer available), I was told that this line , despite somewhat higher breakage, it gave the best cut of all.
Does any one have an opinion of the Oregon serrated line?Supposed to cut just about everything. On your mentioning of the trimmer for edging , my understanding is that it can be done, however the edges get brown and keeping it straight and narrow is very hard.
I'm trying to find out if there are some patterns to line, spool size and application and ultimately if there is such a thing as "best line". I would think that best will go with the application and there is no "one size fits all" What do you think? :confused: :dizzy:

Throgmorton
01-18-2005, 10:56 PM
I was using a stihl brand on my FS85, but ran out and went to my dealer and his Redmax rep had just left and was giving away Redmax line. It's the best I've ever used. It has no edges, just round. Cuts good and last a long time.

lawnchopper
01-19-2005, 12:25 PM
Try Husquvarnas Titanium line at .095 its the best that ive found it cuts cleaner and is quieter aswell. I also notice that it donesnt scalp into the ground when im trying to trim close. Im sure the titanium doesnt have anthing to do with it its more the design and it doesnt cost all that much more we use it in our stihls fs85s and shinds T270