PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Fertilizer using Spray gun from Hydro Seed

Daren
01-25-2001, 11:06 PM
Hello, I recently purchased a 500 gallon Hydr Seeding unit with The spray Attachment for Pesticide and Fertilize. My question is. When I use it to apply Liquid Fertilize. How do I know how much to apply to the grass. I know how to mixit 1 lb per square foot. But when I go to apply it how do I know Im applying it at the right amount? Spray just enough to wet the grass or soak it in? Thanks!

Daren

Daren
01-26-2001, 07:38 AM
It was late when i wrote this. I put 1 lb per square foot. I meant per 1000 sq ft. Anyway Appreciate any help!

Daren

Indiana
01-26-2001, 08:11 AM
This is exactly what I was wondering yesterday. I have a new turf sprayer and what to know the same thing.

I guess the manufacturer didn't say or give any hints. I am going to try to find out and let you know.

Indiana
01-26-2001, 08:33 AM
First, you have to find out how much your sprayer pumps out at your application pressure. If you have an adjustable knozzle find a pattern that will not leave any area in the pattern that will not get any or too much. When you have your pattern down, find a setting on your engine/pump and you agitator that will give a constant pressure. I would say that 30-50 psi would be good. Now measure an area that you will treat with just water. Do your calculation on how much water vs. fert. and put that amount in your sprayer. You might want to mark the area you want to treat with some marking tape.

Then experiment, try to make the water evenly cover the area that you've sprayed.

This is how you calibrate a lawn sprayer. The technique is the same for any application. Hydroseeding is the same. My fertilizer supplier says to put a half of pound of per 1000 square feet per application. He said maybe more if your real carefull.

lx665
01-26-2001, 08:44 AM
Daren, What brand hydro seeder did you buy? Have you used it yet, if so how did it perform?

Daren
01-26-2001, 01:24 PM
Hey Indiana, were practically neighbors. i live over in Cleveland, TN. I bout the Turbo Turf HS-500. No I havent gotten to use it yet. Very anxious to. Going to try it out on my lawn in the next few weeks. Thanks for the reply's. I really dont know what the pressure is on it. Guess I will have to try and find out. I bought the Spray n seed option where you just change hoses to use it as a sprayer!

Daren

Skookum
01-26-2001, 04:15 PM
You might want to also use a bucket and check your gallon per minute rate. Use two buckets and a stop watch. Start by spraying into one bucket then start the stop watch as you move the spray to the other bucket. Then at one minute move the spray back to the other bucket and then stop spraying. Now measure your bucket with one full minute of spray. This is your gallons per minute at that settings on your sprayer. You should check this periodicaly as sprayers will lose calibration like any other equipment.

Now do your square footage test at a rate of gallons of mix for that amount of footage and you can even include a time to check the proper amount that you have put down in that test plot. If you still have time left you are moving too fast, run out of time before spraying all the area, then you are moving too slow for the recomended rate. You can check your time against your gallon usage for a more accurate check.

Daren
01-26-2001, 11:29 PM
Thought of something.DOes anyone know of a Flow meter that you could place in line? I think it is 1/2 or 3/4 inch. A meter that would show the gallons being flowed through. this would greatly increase the accuracy no matter how much pressure or how much the valve was opened or closed.

Daren

Daren
01-26-2001, 11:38 PM
Thought of something else. What about just hooking a Hose end sprayer to the end and using it this way.

Skookum
01-27-2001, 02:13 AM
Daren,

That is exactly how I use my sprayer with a hose end sprayer. For a small one man full lawn and landscape maintenance operation like myself, it works out great. You could most surely use a hose end sprayer and just have water in your hydro tank. In fact after I seen a hydro seeding unit with the sprayer attachment at a trade show this fall, I would have bought one instead of my sprayer unit had I known they were available. That would be a nice all round use setup, nothing you could not do.

Flow meters are available from all most all the sprayer companies. http://www.westheffer.com has one for JUST water flow at $147.00 that I plan to get and use with my hose end setup. The ones for chemical mix list for abot $350.00

Daren
01-27-2001, 08:08 AM
Hey Skookum, Thanks for the reply. What type fertilizer and hose end sprayer do you use with it? I think this may be the route I go for now. The fertilize that i have reccommends 1/2 to 1 pound 1000 Sq Ft. Thanks!

Daren Brantley

Skookum
01-27-2001, 10:55 AM
Daren,

I hope I did not sound like too much of a authority on lawn fertilizing with a hose end sprayer. My comments were as a over all use of a hose end sprayer with a spray unit. I have never just sprayed a lawn with fertilizer using the hose end sprayer on my spray unit. I have sprayed shrubs, ground cover and flowers with Miricle Grow fertilizer through it with great results. I use mine mainly for lawn and shrub pesticides. Which I have sprayed as many as three different pesticides on one property at one visit with just one sprayer.

The hose end sprayers I have are a Ortho http://www.Scotts.com , like from any garden center, and the other is a Gilmour professional model http://www.gilmour.com . The calibration on the Gilmour is very precise and accurate and the metering settings are very adjustable and easy to use. It also offers a large range of metering.

The only drawback to a hose end sprayer is the concentrate being sprayed has to be a liquid mixture. So if your product is a dry material you have to premix it into a liquid. I know Miricle Grow gives the procedure in detail for their fertilizers with use in a hose end sprayer. Your current product may not do this. All most all hose end sprayers give directions as well for proper mixing solutions for spraying to achieve the final required rate.

I'll look up what my Gilmour instructions say about solutions at a 1/2 to 1 lb on 1000 sq ft rate. You are talking about a water soluable fertilizer for spraying, right? It just hit me, if it is a fertilizer for mixing to spray, the label recomended rate should include instructions for amount to mix into per gallon and at what rate of gallons to apply per 1000 or at least per acre.

[Edited by Skookum on 01-27-2001 at 11:05 AM]

Indiana
01-27-2001, 12:29 PM
I bought a 100 gallon turf sprayer in the fall and am going to use a hose end sprayer attachment for my pesticide applications. Probably go with the Gilmour pro.

Why mix more chemical than you need. Also, why go through rinsing the tank out with pesticide wash.

Also, I am adding fertilizer application to my hydroseeding services. I talked to LESCO in Charlotte and he is going to set me up with liquid fertilizer and all.

I am going to call Mike this week and get started. SPRING will be here soon.

equipguy
01-27-2001, 03:42 PM
If your looking for a flow meter try calling lesco 1-800-321-5325. They should be able to help you out. The bucket test is the way to go.

Greenman2ooo
01-27-2001, 05:31 PM
The study material for certification in my home state gives that information. Flow rate, calculation of application rates, etc. Don't know it all by heart, but the books make great reference material. Maybe check your study materials if you saved them.