PDA

View Full Version : Which do you think is better??

Carolina Cutter
12-25-2004, 11:50 AM
Do you think an open trailer or an enclosed trailer is better for lawn care.

Yes, the enclosed is a rolling billboard, but the open also acts as an advertising medium. In other words.....people IMMEDIATELY know what you do.

I currently run an open trailer but have thought of buying an enclosed.

walker-talker
12-25-2004, 12:00 PM
I can see the only con with an enclosed is hauling more weight, thus more wear on the truck and more gas. Oh, another con would be that you could not haul grass or other debris without creating a big mess. Since I leave my trailer and equipment outside (except the winter) a big plus for an enclosed trailer would be protection from the weather and free up storage space in the garage.

I think it all depends on your own situation that you need to evaluate.

K.Carothers
12-25-2004, 12:03 PM
I was thinking about that also. I have a6.4x12 big tex with all the holders and racks. I keep it at my house and it is an eye sore for the neighbors. I think having a enclosed trailer would be better for a couple of reasons and the biggest would be that your equipment would not be subject to the weather. Nothing worse when it starts to rain and you have to cover up all the equipment.

edward hedrick
12-25-2004, 12:13 PM
another choice a SuperLawn truck instead of a truck and trailer

Ed

LawnMowerBoy48
12-25-2004, 12:52 PM
I just got a new enclosed trailer, I feel that it is lighter than my old trailer open trailer. It is four feet shorter but when you think about it an enclosed trailer is made out of light aluminum. Thinking of that and then the side rails on an open trailer aren't they pretty even weight wise?

Jason Rose
12-25-2004, 01:31 PM
Yeah, weight wise, these new aluminum and fiberglass enclosed trailers are pretty light. however, if you currently have a 16' open and it seems tight with all the equipment on, you better get an 18' or 20' enclosed. No room for hanging a handle over the side rail to get stuff to fit or turn around inside. I think that if you are used to picking stuff off of your trailer from all sides like gas cans, edger, trimmers, blower, ect. it would be tough to get used to having to fight a big drop door just to get the blower out. The few guys i see around here that have enclsed trailers I kinda chuckle at when I drive by and see most everything that was in the trailer spread out along the curb or in the drive way just so they can get their ztr out. (33' & 21" walkbehind, trash cans, blower, cones, even shovels) I hate moving one thing to get to another and I keep my trailer orginized so I don't have to. But in an enclosed all the trimmer racks are on the walls and it seems like you would have to be stepping over and on everything and bumping my head (i'm 6'4") just to get to the racks. Unless I moved everything out onto the road... I love the idea of security and not having to even think about getting caught in a rain storm, but for me the con's outweigh the pro's on this one.

mowerman111
12-25-2004, 01:35 PM
here is a picture of one of my trailers that I enclosed the front half it has three doors on each side the front two on the right side drop down so you can roll two 21" w/b up in it. it has one long compartment that you can get to from either side with shelves in it for trimmers, blowers etc. the two doors on the other side has shelves for gas, oil, sprinkler parts etc. the back half hauls a walker mower and trash cans. and can be used to haul debris if we need to. so really it is the best of both worlds. I will post some close up pictures as soon as I can. I also have a enclosed trailer which looks more professional, but the half enclosed trailer is easier to get tools out of.

rodfather
12-25-2004, 01:59 PM
I have 3 Pequea open dovetail (8 x 18 foot) trailers at the moment. Funny this topic was just brought up cause I was out shopping for an enclosed trailer this week. I am literally out of storage space and now have more equipment coming in the spring.

I figure I need a 20 footer and I'm personally looking to hear other responses to this thread.

mowerman111
12-25-2004, 02:09 PM
I think the next enlosed I buy will be one with a big door on the right side that swings up like a consession trailer has, so I can build shelves inside to hold the small equipment so you can just walk up to the trailer and get what tools you need instead of walking in to the trailer, thats what I like about my half enclosed it is a ot easier to get tools out of and takes less time plus the tools are locked up and out of sight.

newbomb
12-25-2004, 02:17 PM
I started with a 6 X 12 open trailer and it was fine for awhile. Loading and unloading everyday got old fast. I have had an 8 X 16 enclosed for 2 seasons now, and the open trailer is relegated to mulch and dump runs. The enclosed trailer gives you all of the following: security ( no theft while your in 7-11), storage, freed up garage space, no problem if your caught in the rain, advertising space, add one gatorade bottle and you have a rest room. ( thats important to us guys on blood pressure pills). If you have a 3/4 ton truck in good repair, you will have little problem towing it. Make sure you get one big enough though. As someone else said, its a little hard to turn stuff sideways inside. GO ENCLOSED!!
-Paul

UNISCAPER
12-25-2004, 04:14 PM
The only way to go is enclosed. Things that used to walk away lost thier legs, much easier to inventory things, and you got a storge tank on wheels when you own one.

mmacsek
12-25-2004, 04:49 PM
I went from an open to an enclosed this past year. I feel the enclosed is much more efficient. You need to really do a layout to get them efficient. I know alot of members of this forum can fit more on their trailers than I can. I like to take stuff on and off without unloading it. After using it for one season changes will be made with the layout. Like others have said, stuff stays dry and doesn't get lost. I have an 8x18 Avenger car hauler with a side door. I have the Scag cub positioned so I can fuel it thru the side door. I would buy another in a heartbeat. With all this said I will probably be buying an open one for hauling trees, aerators, seed, etc. If you can only afford one an enclosed is the way to go. Hope this helps. Matt

nitrotim
12-25-2004, 07:51 PM

I figure I need a 20 footer and I'm personally looking to hear other responses to this thread.

The only thing I wonder about a 20ft trailer is manuvering it in tight spots I have some accounts on cul de sacs and besides parking being tight if there are cars parked in the cul de sac it makes it tight to turn around even with my 14 footer.