PDA

View Full Version : Anybody pull an enclosed trailer w/Ranger?

Carolina Cutter
12-25-2004, 12:06 PM
Just wondering if anybody pulls there enclosed witha Ford Ranger. That is what I am working with for now. I am drooling over a F250 but for now gotta work with what I have got. Currently pull a 6 x12 open with the Ranger with no problems but wanted some feedback about pulling an enclosed.

Thanks!!

Oldtimer
12-25-2004, 12:37 PM
Pulling too large a trailer is not the problem. Stopping, or trying to stop, too large a trailer can get you killed.

You are pushing your luck now, don't go any heavier.

Install trailer brakes on your Ranger & trailer asap on Monday morning.

Oldtimer

MTR
12-25-2004, 12:53 PM
Just wondering if anybody pulls there enclosed witha Ford Ranger. That is what I am working with for now. I am drooling over a F250 but for now gotta work with what I have got. Currently pull a 6 x12 open with the Ranger with no problems but wanted some feedback about pulling an enclosed.

Thanks!!

Your Metro only weighs 400+ lbs, the Ranger can do it fine, but if you add a 52" WB or Z on that 6x12, you will need an F 150 or F 250 otherwise Ranger's tranny will be first on list to repair within a year. A small 5x8 enclosed is okay to pull with Ranger but 6x12 enclosed? no way. You asking for problems.

lqmustang
12-25-2004, 08:33 PM
I currently use a 5x10 open trailer, and my ranger pulled it fine. I don't think I would have wanted to pull a heavy enclosed trailer with it tho. As stated above, braking becomes a big issue with alot of weight. Ever change the brakes on your ranger, they are tiny!!! I'd get the F250 first, then work for the enclosed trailer. Much safer that way.

BTW, I have an F250 now, and I don't even know that trailer is behind me anymore.

Triple R
12-27-2004, 11:42 PM
My dad pulls a 6x10 enclosed with his ranger brake wear is a problem but he hasn't had tranny problems so far, it's been 2 years so far. If you get an enclosed make sure it has brakes or install some. I pull a 14' enclosed and the electric brakes have saved me from several accidents. Get brakes they're priceless.

earthwerks unlimited
12-31-2004, 06:09 PM
Don't know what year the Ranger is but I had a 1993 4.0 4x4 that had overheating problems. Check your owner's manual and it will tell you what the trailer weight/load and Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) is limited to--for example a 4-cyl 2wd will pull more than a 4x due to the extra 4x weight. Usually manual trans can pull more than autos--but there are exceptions.

Electric brakes definitely!

Keep in mind with a fairly small truck wind resistance will play a big factor in pulling at speeds probably over 45mph. Then there are cross winds at speed to consider---get too much weight and it could end up the tail wagging the dog---EEEEEEEK!