PDA

View Full Version : Oh man, my repair shop is calling it quits..

Carolina Cutter
12-25-2004, 02:59 PM
My go to guy for my repairs is calling it quits. Well, actually his boss has decided to close the repair shop. Not bringing in the $$$ he thought it would. This is going to be a really bad thing for me due to the fact that he would always push my stuff to the front of the line because I do it as a living. Going to try and see if I can get him to still do repairs for me...wish me luck!

So, has this ever happened to you? ;)

rodfather
12-25-2004, 03:03 PM

Nope, and that would be absolutely the LAST thing I would ever want to happen to me. Good Luck!

Carolina Cutter
12-25-2004, 03:14 PM
Nope, and that would be absolutely the LAST thing I would ever want to happen to me. Good Luck!

Yea, I agree....hard to get a good relationship with someone like that.

alpine692003
12-25-2004, 05:31 PM
Yah, go to 2 different places...

Thats what I do, I do a little ehre and little there..

Likestomow
12-25-2004, 07:32 PM
So why can't you get the guy's home phone number and have him work on it there? You should have enough backup equipment so you don't have to be down, waiting for a repair to be done before go back to work anyway. The cost of backup equipment is part of the cost of doing business.

xcopterdoc
12-25-2004, 07:53 PM
There used to be a shop there in Carthage.. next to Southern States Feed store. He still in biz there?

YardPro
12-25-2004, 09:51 PM
same thing has happened here.
take a small engine repair class.

Fareway Lawncare
12-25-2004, 10:01 PM
where do you people live...the desert ? there's 5 OEM dealers/Repair Shops within 20 min. drive Here....thanks Be to God I don't live in the Sticks.

beransfixitinc
12-25-2004, 10:48 PM
My go to guy for my repairs is calling it quits. Well, actually his boss has decided to close the repair shop. Not bringing in the $$$ he thought it would. This is going to be a really bad thing for me due to the fact that he would always push my stuff to the front of the line because I do it as a living. Going to try and see if I can get him to still do repairs for me...wish me luck!

Hmmm... this seems kind of ironic that you are worrying about something like this, given a post made by you earlier in the "local shop labor rates" thread.. went something like this:

"You need to make the annual trip to Agri Supply with me in the spring. Air filters, oil filters, blades much cheaper than the dealer.

Heck.....a set of blades for my metro are only about $12.....dealer can't touch that."

And an excerpt from your post in this thread "Not bringing in the $$$ he thought it would.".

Well, I guess not if you were purchasing your parts elsewhere.. probably made it a little difficult just doing your service for you without being able to sell you any common parts.

And, I'm not trying to catch myself on fire here.. just thought your two posts were a little ironic. You are fraught with worry over his closing.. but in a small way helped cause him to close.

Carolina Cutter
12-25-2004, 10:55 PM
Hmmm... this seems kind of ironic that you are worrying about something like this, given a post made by you earlier in the "local shop labor rates" thread.. went something like this:

"You need to make the annual trip to Agri Supply with me in the spring. Air filters, oil filters, blades much cheaper than the dealer.

Heck.....a set of blades for my metro are only about $12.....dealer can't touch that."

And an excerpt from your post in this thread "Not bringing in the $$$ he thought it would.".

Well, I guess not if you were purchasing your parts elsewhere.. probably made it a little difficult just doing your service for you without being able to sell you any common parts.

And, I'm not trying to catch myself on fire here.. just thought your two posts were a little ironic. You are fraught with worry over his closing.. but in a small way helped cause him to close.

Well actually no. He knows that I make the run to get the parts at one time during the spring so that was never an issue. Heck, he even told me to go get them there because of the mark up that he was having to put on them. Besides.....he and I are friends from way back (another type of business actually) and we have always wanted to see each other succed. And secondly, I do try and do all my own preventitive maintenance on my equipment so that I do not need his services......HOWEVER.......I do a lot of referal business for him to the local area. If I knew I wasn't going to get someone as a customer and they asked me for a good service person his card always came out.

Carolina Cutter
12-25-2004, 10:57 PM
where do you people live...the desert ? there's 5 OEM dealers/Repair Shops within 20 min. drive Here....thanks Be to God I don't live in the Sticks.

No thats not the problem.........I have found in this business that having a regular go to guy mechanic is very proactive for your business. I can't recall one time I had to see my stuff sit at the back of the line.

Oh.............and I am proud to live "in the sticks" as you call it.............ever been here? You might like it too.

Jay Ray
12-26-2004, 09:41 PM
If you think there is some chance the guy might still do some work for you, maybe even evenings or weekends, and if he got no Christmas gift, you might consider a real nice New Year's gift.

Envy Lawn Service
12-26-2004, 10:23 PM
My go to guy for my repairs is calling it quits. Well, actually his boss has decided to close the repair shop. Not bringing in the $$$ he thought it would.
This sorta thing is getting way too common. The economy in North Carolina sucks and that's putting it nicely. It's not only repair shops. A lot of business are very vulnerable these days that never were in the past. We are going to see a lot more of this in the future I'm afraid....