PDA

View Full Version : How do you get those perfect pine straw piles around trees?

Blessed 1
12-25-2004, 09:31 PM
How do you get those perfect pine straw piles around trees? There are some that are perfect and round almost like a round inner tube. I have tried tucking and fluffing but I just can't seem to duplicate. And I have never been in the right place at the right time to watch it being done. Any suggestions?

mcclureandson
12-26-2004, 09:57 AM
Pine straw has to be thick and good quality...then, walk slowly around the perimeter of the tree ring with a backpack blower on 'idle' or with the throttle slightly engaged, pop up the edges just a bit and tuck them back underneath with the force of air...practice, practice, practice...it only take a few seconds to do a tree ring properly.

Cutters Lawn Care
12-26-2004, 10:05 AM
make sure the tree has a nice edge around it 2-3" deep. If it doesn't make a hard edge with a flat shovel. When laying the straw go outside of your edge a few inches with the straw. Then get the flat shovel again tucking the straw down into the edge. The shovel tucks it in very well. Then go around tree with blower on idle one time. This gives it a extremely neat and professional appearance.

Evan528
12-26-2004, 03:02 PM
Its so funny for me to read about applying Pine needles to beds. In my area we only use mulch. My clients pay me to clean the fallen pine needles out of there beds. :cool2:

j fisher
12-26-2004, 03:32 PM
Pine straw has to be thick and good quality...then, walk slowly around the perimeter of the tree ring with a backpack blower on 'idle' or with the throttle slightly engaged, pop up the edges just a bit and tuck them back underneath with the force of air...practice, practice, practice...it only take a few seconds to do a tree ring properly.
That's the way I do it. Make circular motions with your blower and it'll pick up the edges and tuck them under.

j fisher
12-26-2004, 03:36 PM
Its so funny for me to read about applying Pine needles to beds. In my area we only use mulch. My clients pay me to clean the fallen pine needles out of there beds. :cool2:

I've had customers pay me to clean the straw from there lawns and haul away, then pay to have me bring baled straw back in for there beds. Do I complain?? Not

TerraVenture
12-28-2004, 07:32 AM
I am from new hampshire and I would like to know what "pine straw" is. We don't use such stuff up here. It seems that it is a southern mulch. Could someone enlighten me.

Thanks

j fisher
12-28-2004, 08:15 AM
It's the pine needles that fall from pine trees. Mainly Long Leaf Pines.

PLM-1
12-28-2004, 10:36 AM

That's the way my customers are. "Pine needles in the mulch...that's just nasty!"