PDA

View Full Version : And you think i am crazy

VanceTrendov
12-26-2004, 04:17 AM
I am planning my fleet of mowers for next season and want a couple of good 21'' movers that have a gallon or more gas tank. Has anyone fitted a toro, or any common residential 21'' mower with a larger gas tank?

I know it can be done.

I just would rather have 4 residentials(toro) then 1 commerical (exmark). If they all had 1 gallon tanks.

Vance Trendov

geogunn
12-26-2004, 10:33 AM
vance--you are calling some push mowers a "fleet"?

GEO :confused:

YardPro
12-26-2004, 10:43 AM
why is large fuel tanks more important than the quality of the rest of the machine?

Texas Mower Parts
12-26-2004, 10:53 AM
The Toro homeowner models won't hold up to serious use. The personal pace is really designed for once a week action. I would go with the Exmark or Toro commercial models. I sell all those models above, the Exmark gets my vote.

VanceTrendov
12-26-2004, 11:42 AM
My fleet is going to have:

38” Walk Behind
Large Z turn (70”) most likely Exmark

I understand that the Toro won’t hold up to hard use but I figure that having 2 will make me more efficient and when I start having large problems with the mower I will get a professional proline or exmark metro. Maybe I am wrong but I figure that they are going to get much use, and some of the time they need to be used it will probley be because of a small gate, and both of use will be on the 21's. Last year I had about 10 lots (I started late in the season June) and this year I am shooting for 30. It’s important to have nice equipment but I always think where is the best way to spend my money. Make this comparison.

Residential 21”
Good used WB 36-38”
About $2300

Or 2 comerical 21”
About $2000

I sold most of the stuff I had last year…tractor. But I still have my echo trimmers.

I just don’t see the need to having many nice comerical 21’s around, and one of the things that I hate spending time doing is changing gas on the mowers….it wastes my time(I always end up spilling). Thats why i asked the question about the tank.

Vance Trendov

geogunn
12-26-2004, 12:18 PM
vance--do you have any customers?

VanceTrendov
12-26-2004, 12:51 PM
vance--do you have any customers?

1 lot equals 1 customer

10 lot equal 10 customers

geo if you needed help on the math...this post wasnt about customers it was about the gas tank...please help with my questions

DLS1
12-26-2004, 01:29 PM
1 lot equals 1 customer

10 lot equal 10 customers

geo if you needed help on the math...this post wasnt about customers it was about the gas tank...please help with my questions

Hey Vance, you need to lighten up. I would guess most or maybe all have never heard of the term lot associated with customer. Where did you pick up that term meaning customer?

You will rarely find a thread that is kept on topic 100% because a question sparks other questions in peoples minds. So relax or you won't get people responding to your questions.

geogunn
12-26-2004, 01:33 PM
sorry vance--I was looking at the equipment list and not reading the text between the lines too well.

GEO

Jusmowin
12-26-2004, 02:03 PM
Try a Exmark 21 Metro w/ bbc and the 6.5 kawi, I have 2 of them and the performed flawless for this whole year.

K.Carothers
12-26-2004, 02:19 PM
If you are doing lawns with a 21" and you need a gallon of gas I think the economics would say you need a larger mower. My.02 :waving:

Albemarle Lawn
12-26-2004, 02:56 PM
This summer I was involved with a 73 unit HOA, lots of run time for the JX85 and Honda push mowers.

The Honda was the mileage champ, about 2 hours between fills. The JX85 mowers went about 1 hour at full throttle.

The employees usually went about 25 minutes between 15 minute breaks :dizzy: :cry: :realmad:

Kelly's Landscaping
12-26-2004, 03:11 PM
I do not use this but the specs I read on the metro 21 with a kawasaki says it holds 4 quarts so 1 gallon for your 21 inch mower. The metro with the honda only holds 2.1 quarts.

hortboy
12-26-2004, 03:43 PM
Just my 2cents here. But i think you could save money and trailer space w/ a 32 inch w/b. I haven't found a gate yet it won't go through and if it's hills your worried about mow what you can and string trim the rest. I have done away w/ all but 1 on my 21 inch mowers and if should ever loose the account where we carry it down a flight of stairs it will find a new home as well. this will also solve your gas tank problem w/ a larger capacity tank. I believe the cut will be better also w/ less abuse on the guy behind the mower.

VanceTrendov
12-26-2004, 07:00 PM
I understand that they wont last forever and the commericals 21" mowers that have the kawasaki engines have the 1 gallon gas tank. My problem is that i wont be using the mower alot but i just want to gas everthing up at the start of the day and not have to refill 2,3,4 times in the day (I might have a an onsite gas tank (150 gallons). above ground (because of regulations)). The one thing i hate is having to carry a can out to the backyard to fill the tank. Everyone has to understand money is tight for me and for most companys. I am tring to make a desion to save money now so i dont have to go into debt. Everyone keeps telling me that the commericals are better.. they will last longer but i just dont have 2 grand sitting around to purchase 2 21's mowers. The money i have could be spent better elsewhere. I had one account (lot as i call them) last year that had stairs that i had to carry the mower up. Last year was my first year and i didnt have anyone on formal contracts, just verbal. I am trying to go as professional as i can but still make a profit.

To my original questions which started this fourm. Has anyone seen or done them self a mod to a regular 21' mover and made a larger gas tank..

o-so-n-so
12-26-2004, 07:29 PM
My problem is that i wont be using the mower alot

i just want to gas everthing up at the start of the day and not have to refill 2,3,4 times in the day

The one thing i hate is having to carry a can out to the backyard to fill the tank

My 2 cents.....Save your money and efforts on trying to rig up something so that the machine will hold more gas and just fill before you unload, might need to check the oil as well. These mowers are designed to be practical, and your ideas and logic is not practical. Sorry dude...just fill the tank. :waving: