PDA

View Full Version : Dump trailer

Newbeeee
12-26-2004, 09:20 PM
Anyone use a dump trailer with a landscaping gate for both moving mowers and moving product(mulch,topsoil). When you don't have the mowers. Wonder if anyone has one? Using one trailer for everything. Wonder if it would be a cost effective move for new people. Thanks :rolleyes:

aklandscape
12-27-2004, 12:46 AM
I used one for both for about a year. It works out ok, but you have to plan what your going to be doing. I bought a 12,000 lb dump, It is like 12ft. long by 6 ft. 6in wide and I carried a 48'' walk behind,21'' self prop and the tiller so I still had some room if I needed to put in some topsoil or mulch. Very heavy trailer to be towing around all the time. This year I went to a 18' open trailer with side and rear gates. But if you buy the dump it gets both the purposes served.

earthwerks unlimited
12-31-2004, 07:27 PM
I have a '99 dump trailer rated at 12,500lb. It weighs 2500lb. empty. But I have a 3/4 ton diesel truck and it doesn't know it's there. It's got a 10'x8' bed and doors that swing open. I made ramps that hang on the sides when stowed.

Before I bought another trailer,I used to haul a 3,000lb. tractor with it. Worked great but I couldn't haul the implement attached for very far as they hung over another 2-3 feet. Then I got into commerical grass cutting (for one season--I have a new-found respect for you lawn guys!) but I didn't use the ramps. Instead, I bought a manually-powered hydraulic 1000lb. capacity crane from NorthernTool.com for about $130. And I bought a 1000 lb. electric winch to replace the hand crank one that came with it. Mounted the crane on the outside rear corner of the bed using custom mounts (I can fabricate). Then I installed a couple lifting lugs on the mower and-- Voila! It comes in handy! I can lift all kinds of things from mowers to tree stumps with it all day. And still use it to haul mulch or 170 rolls of sod--now there's some weight!

mownlawns
01-02-2005, 07:10 PM
I have a Bri-Mar 6X12 low profile dump with a 10,000 lb capacity and the combo rear ramp/dump gate. I love it. It hauls the equipment, the mulch, the topsoil. I installed equipment racks (trimmer, blower, water) on the side of the trailer as well. This is a well-built trailer and has stood up to some punishment. I paid about $4400 for it with the combo gate and a tarp system; however, :rolleyes: I did buy it right across the street from the factory at Chambersburg Farm Service in Chambersburg, PA. That saved on shipping / delivery costs! As stated in the previous post, it weighs in at over 2500 lbs. I use a 2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 extended cab to pull it and have no problems moving it down the road.

RedWingsDet
01-02-2005, 07:24 PM
I have a Bri-Mar 6X12 low profile dump with a 10,000 lb capacity and the combo rear ramp/dump gate. I love it. It hauls the equipment, the mulch, the topsoil. I installed equipment racks (trimmer, blower, water) on the side of the trailer as well. This is a well-built trailer and has stood up to some punishment. I paid about $4400 for it with the combo gate and a tarp system; however, :rolleyes: I did buy it right across the street from the factory at Chambersburg Farm Service in Chambersburg, PA. That saved on shipping / delivery costs! As stated in the previous post, it weighs in at over 2500 lbs. I use a 2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 extended cab to pull it and have no problems moving it down the road.

That sounds very intresting. Do ya have any pictures to share with us? Thanks!

Newbeeee
01-02-2005, 11:38 PM
DO you have any pics??? can a 60" z fit in it???

mownlawns
01-04-2005, 11:16 AM
Sorry for the delayed response...been a little under the weather the past few days.
A 60" ZTR will fit. I fit my 4110 John Deere compact tractor with the 60" deck attached in it. Hopefully the link below will work until I can get a photo of mine posted. If it doesn't, go to www.bri-mar.com and look under the dump trailers, then either low profile or low profile HD. The gate I have is what they are calling the 5' landscape gate. I believe they show one of the smaller trailers with one installled as the photos flip through.

http://www.bri-mar.com/trailerdetail.php?modelsid=30&categorysid=1

mownlawns
01-04-2005, 11:20 AM
Here is the Bri-Mar dump trailer options page. You'll see a photo of how the gate looks and functions. Hope this helps!

http://bri-mar.com/DumpTrailersoptions.htm

mownlawns
01-04-2005, 11:25 AM
Although this is a small dump trailer, this shows a shot of the gate down. It basically has pins at the middle of the gate and at the bottom. Pull the pins in the middle, it can be used as a ramp. Pull the pins at the bottom and the bottom portion of the gate releases from the trailer to use as a dump.

http://www.bri-mar.com/trailerdetail.php?modelsid=27&categorysid=1

:D

mownlawns
01-04-2005, 12:02 PM
Here are some photos taken between the raindrops today.

FERT-TEK
01-04-2005, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the pictures, one question about the ramp. How is the transition from the ground to the trailer floor. Is the angle so severe that the bottom of the mower deck grinds on the bottom of the trailer when loaded. I like that version regardless. Looks like I need to start saving my pennies.

mownlawns
01-04-2005, 02:06 PM
Even if you have equipment that can't cross the angle, simply raise or tilt the trailer bed and the angle decreases. I have to do this with some equipment - for example with my 50" Dixie Chopper. The Chopper deck doesn't lift very high and slightly scrapes when the bed is fully down. I raise the trailer with the hydraulics only about 3 inches and no more scrape.

One word of advice-if you can't get a ramp, don't let anyone talk you into going with two individual ramps like what is used for equipment like larger tractors, skid steers, etc. For lawn and landscaping equipment, they are a pain. The gate on mine is pretty heavy duty. If you would need the equipment ramps for some reason, you just remove the gate by pulling four pins and use the ramps. They are an option.

I don't know if any other companies have the landscape gate/ramp, but Bri-Mar has several dealers. I just happened to buy Bri-Mar because they offered what I wanted, the price was right, and the factory is about 45 minutes from me.

mownlawns
01-04-2005, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the pictures, one question about the ramp. How is the transition from the ground to the trailer floor. Is the angle so severe that the bottom of the mower deck grinds on the bottom of the trailer when loaded. I like that version regardless. Looks like I need to start saving my pennies.

One more thing. The trailer that I have is a low profile model. This differs from standard models in that it is a "low-rider" making that ramp transition easier. A standard model would be too high.

RedWingsDet
01-04-2005, 05:49 PM
Thats awsome, thanks for sharing the pictures!!!

I hope you get better!!!!!

Newbeeee
01-06-2005, 06:39 PM
How about a 60" z and one 52" walk behind?? Will be tight, but do you think it could work?? Bri-mar is the only brand I could find that has the landscape gate option I think this is the way I am looking to go. I believe it will be more cost effective, for how small of a business I am. I just wish it was a little longer. Anyone know any other brands that make something like this????

mownlawns
01-07-2005, 05:31 AM
Newbeee-
I believe that it might work. You have just a little over 12' of space to work with. You might have to put'em close together and measure them together. I fit my Dixie Chopper Z, a 21" mower, and a pretty good size tool chest in there and have a little room (not much, but a little). I can actually fit my John Deere 4110 compact tractor on it with a tiller attached and the loader (I raise the loader up above the height of the rear gate). The Chambersburg Farm Service trailer dealership was nice enough to allow me to try fitting my equipment on a similar trailer before I ordered mine.

PremierLandscaping--thanks for the well-wish. Must have worked. I'm feeling a lot better now!