PDA

View Full Version : US vs foreign equipment

meets1
12-26-2004, 10:32 PM
To what extent is your equipment US made, not put together, and to what extent is your equipment made outside of US?

Me - I run all Toro riders and JD walk behinds. I have a number of chain saws - all sweden made. All engines are Kawa or Honda. We have a few untility tractors - all New Holland, case skid. All power tools DeWalt / Milwalk. Chevy trucks - which are made in Canada. All handheld equipment is foreign. All spraying rigs are made in US. All trailers made in US.

leeslawncare
12-26-2004, 11:02 PM
Look hard .I think a lot of john deere mower parts are over seas .it's hard to find anything nowa days that is from over seas .even though it may be "made here "

LLandscaping
12-26-2004, 11:17 PM
We run Scag ztrs which are made by MetalCraft in the US. Toro and Stihl which are made mostly in the US.

ALarsh
12-26-2004, 11:32 PM
Labor costs are soo expensive in the U.S., I don't think I would even want my mower made in the U.S. Also, build quality is better (in terms of cars) overseas vs. America. Think of Ford cars vs. Honda cars, the finish build quality in Honda cars is much greater than ford.

I was watching 60 Minutes and they had an episode about labor costs at America vs. overseas. A doll manufacture said that a doll made over seas sells for $20; the same doll made in America would sell for $75. If our mowers were 100% made in the USA, they would cost $10,000+.

Yes it is sad, but it is what is happening in our world today.

bugspit
12-26-2004, 11:41 PM
I think only 50% of a product that is actually made in the USA can make the claim of "Made in the USA" according to the FTC.
Other catch words are "Assembled in the USA" where maybe only 25% is made in the USA.

In todays market it's going to be hard to find those companies but, most American manufactures are proud to display their claim on their products.

Anyway, it's definitely worth looking for.

joeboy4
12-26-2004, 11:44 PM
Alarsh what is your labor rate? I always try to buy American when ever possible. There are an awful lot of Ford Trucks and cars on the road, so they must be doing something right in those factories. As for equipment Exmark/Kohler Snapper/Kawasaki Sthil.

ALarsh
12-27-2004, 12:18 AM
After thinking about it more, disregard my comment on the vehicles. That is completely irrelevant. I can't edit it out anymore.

65hoss
12-27-2004, 12:26 AM
Most comm'l mowers are made in the US and they put motors on them. Kawi, kohler, honda and Briggs. These motors are mostly made in the US with foreign owners.

the scaper
12-27-2004, 01:06 AM
I'd rather buy an American built product any day. I Think our quality and design is great and lord knows we need the money right now. Unfortunatly it seems hard to tell these days exactly where something was built and who's actually getting the money for it. In the 80's the American auto industry was turning out some junk but that was then and this is now and I dont think it can any longer be said that Japs build the best autos. Trucks make the world go round and most of the ones I see on the road are Fords, Chevys, and Dodge. For equipment I use exmark and stihl, I have a couple of Honda push mowers but will replace those with exmarks when they wear out.

chuckers
12-27-2004, 01:22 AM
I will always buy some stuff American. Amish make all horse stuff for us and cowboy hats are made in Texas with all American fur. We also run Scag. Trailers are USA built. We try to run USA products as much as possible. And also Copenhagen is American made. I doubt they could make it over seas and have it only 3 days old.

oldturf
12-27-2004, 01:33 AM
Labor costs are soo expensive in the U.S., I don't think I would even want my mower made in the U.S. Also, build quality is better (in terms of cars) overseas vs. America. Think of Ford cars vs. Honda cars, the finish build quality in Honda cars is much greater than ford.

I was watching 60 Minutes and they had an episode about labor costs at America vs. overseas. A doll manufacture said that a doll made over seas sells for $20; the same doll made in America would sell for $75. If our mowers were 100% made in the USA, they would cost $10,000+.

Yes we should ship all our jobs overseas and buy their stuff, our plants shut down, people unemployed------who can afford to have lawn mowed? Down with WalMart

the scaper
12-27-2004, 01:40 AM
Yes we should ship all our jobs overseas and buy their stuff, our plants shut down, people unemployed------who can afford to have lawn mowed? Down with WalMart
Thank You.

Soupy
12-27-2004, 03:28 AM

I was really starting to like you. But you are showing your age again. Foreign use to have better engines (4 bangers) but the body has never been built as good as american. How many foreign trucks do you see being used for work trucks?

A lot of equipment is made in the U.S.. It is the small merchandise like toys, cloths etc that is made in mass production overseas. Some parts like belts etc are also made overseas and we can't help it completely. But I try as hard as possible to buy american designed and made stuff if possible.

ALarsh
12-29-2004, 06:48 PM
I was really starting to like you. But you are showing your age again. Foreign use to have better engines (4 bangers) but the body has never been built as good as american. How many foreign trucks do you see being used for work trucks?

I said before to disregard that comment I made. I can't edit it out anymore.