PDA

View Full Version : Thought this would be the place to ask again......

matthew horner
12-26-2004, 11:14 PM
Whats the best way to store tt tall fescue overwinter? My goal is to use it in the spring, but I want it to be as fertile as possible.
Thanks.
Matt

Soupy
12-26-2004, 11:16 PM
off the ground in a non heated garage would be fine. If you have mice problems and don't have a ton of seed you might want to store them in trash cans (leave the seed in the bag). pallets work great.

65hoss
12-27-2004, 12:21 AM
off the ground in a non heated garage would be fine. If you have mice problems and don't have a ton of seed you might want to store them in trash cans (leave the seed in the bag). pallets work great.

I have it stored in a non heated shop as well. Done it that way for years. Its just fine come March seeding.

J&R
12-27-2004, 01:45 AM
When i buy grass seed if the tag on the bags date is over 6 months i wont buy.

SWD
12-27-2004, 08:47 AM
Depending upon humidity levels, storage in a unheated garage, with the seed in the original seed bag, then placed into a burlap bag, then placed into a garbage can with a vented locking lid.
Humid areas decimate the aril and endosperm of turfgrass seed, particularly seed that has been moved around a bit due to the scarifying activity of the seed rubbing against it's self.
If at all possible, attempt to limit humidity to no more that approximately 40% to 50%, however no humidity is just as damaging, so no de-humidifiers.
Also make sure that no water can get on the seed or into the storage container.

Carolina Cutter
12-27-2004, 05:29 PM
Whats the best way to store tt tall fescue overwinter? My goal is to use it in the spring, but I want it to be as fertile as possible.
Thanks.
Matt

Bring it to my house......throw it out, water it, and I'll keep it for you for a few years..........LOL....j/k