PDA

View Full Version : small engine hp power increase

bluemoon
12-27-2004, 12:30 AM
Is it possible to increase hp on small engines? What I am thinking is, do it similiar to the way they increase power on vehicles. I realize most if not all small engines aren't electronic, like todays new trucks for example. I am just wondering if it is possible to "soup up" or said another way just increase performance.
I had a guy tell me he could increase my 20hp Kohler on my Walker to at least a 23hp maybe 25hp. He ran 23hp on his Dixons and he was always tinkering with his mowers and he always gets a couple of thousand hours out of his machines.
Anyways just curious.

FdLLawnMan
12-27-2004, 12:56 AM
I have worked on small engines for 30 years in an engineering lab environment. Unless he is taking the engine apart, porting the valves, increasing compression, boring the cylinder he is having little effect on the output. And unless he has a dyno he is just guessing at the horsepower. Unless you have a machine shop & really know what is going on you will just reduce the life of the engine & have no warranty to boot. Run Mobil 1 or some other high quality synthetic oil & add an oil cooler if you want & your engine should last 2 to 3 thousand hours.
Thats my 2 cents worth.

Mike Immel
Mike's Total Lawn Care

Richard Martin
12-27-2004, 03:44 AM
Some engines, particularly the Kohlers, use the same long block (short block and heads) through a bunch of different horsepowers. The Kohler 25, 26, 27 and 28 are all the same basic engine. The difference is the camshaft and the carb/fuel injection.

Your Kohler 20 shares the same long block with the Kohler 18, not the 22.

DSIM
12-27-2004, 09:37 AM
yes it can be done!