PDA

View Full Version : what's your brand of motor oil

Bluegrass Lawn Service
01-26-2001, 01:42 AM
Just wondering for a couple of reasons what kind of motor you guys use in your koler engines. I had some trouble with mind droping lifters a year or so ago. I was using 10w40 valveoline. Then my dealer's mechanic told me to switch to rotella oil 15/40 . I've been running that ever since. I change my oil every week and oil filter every other week. So as you can see I use a lot of oil in 4 mowers. I want to buy my oil in a 55 gal drum this spring and I'm thinking about changeing. Rotella is almost twice as much as valveoline. Don't know if I'm spelling that right or not.
Eric and you guys tell me what you use.
Tell me what you use in your pumps. Dixie calls for 15 40 so I use rotella there too.

Sammy
01-26-2001, 02:22 AM
I use Pennzoil 30wt and Mobile 1, 10w30

zipp669
01-26-2001, 02:29 AM
JUst some info i have learned from experience.
If it is a kohler engine run kohler oil & filters. anything goes wrong under warrenty & you are not using it, no more warranty.
Also read the label. where it says type like ag & ac and all that stuff. kohler oil is rated the same as oil for a diesel engine. compare the kohler oil to valvoline & a diesel oil & you will see the difference. you are better to run diesel oil than oil you run in a gas liquid cooled engine.
I also switched all my regular kohler air filters to turbo cleaners & it helped the oil alot.
I change oil every 50 hours, I have 3 exmark lazers, a 1995 22hp 60" with 1750hrs, a 96 25hp 60 with 2350 hrs & just got a 26/72 with 248 in the 2000 season.
A really good oil I use is northland ..it is one of the best, but not in mowers.
hope this helps

zipp669
01-26-2001, 02:30 AM
The reason I say no more warranty is they will test the oil & check the filter.

southside
01-26-2001, 02:59 AM
I was planning to use Castrol RX super 15w/40 in my 26efi
kohler,but the dealer told me I had to run 10w/30 or I would
lose warranty. This is a pain for me as 10w/30 is not a common grade over here.

Runner
01-26-2001, 04:02 AM
Pennzoil SAE 30, all the way.

Richard Martin
01-26-2001, 05:00 AM
I'm using Mobil 1 10w30 in everything I own. Mowers, cars truck. Oil filters are Puralator Pure 1.

HOMER
01-26-2001, 06:37 AM
I used to run Havoline 10-30. I now run Castrol 10-30 and can really tell a difference. The Havoline seems to disappear real easy, the Castrol hangs in there. I run a Carquest filter, made by Wix. Ain't paying $10.00 for an oil filter!

MOW ED
01-26-2001, 07:17 AM
Mobil 1 Synthetic.
All flavors different apps.

If they come off Gm's Vette line filled with it, its good enough for me.

Mowman
01-26-2001, 08:27 AM
1993 Walker w 20HP Kolher. Running Mobil 1 10w30w and NAPA oil filters,gas filter, and air filter. Have not had any problems so far. Engine seems to run cooler with the
Mobil 1 in her. To each his own.
Mowman

Cleve
01-26-2001, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by zipp669
JUst some info i have learned from experience.
If it is a kohler engine run kohler oil & filters. anything goes wrong under warrenty & you are not using it, no more warranty.

Impossible!
There is a federal law that will not allow any manufacturer to do that to you. As long as the filter meets the sspecifications needed they cannot force you to use theirs. If they were to make that requirement they will have to give you theirs free.
"Unless specifically waived in writing by the Federal Trade Commission, under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Improvement Act, a manufacturer may not make its warranty conditional on the use of any brand of filter unless the manufacturer provides the filter free of charge."
I have always tried to use the best oil and filters available. Seems the ones with the manufacturer's name on them end up costing two or three times more than regular filters. About the only manufacturer's filter I use is one for a Honda engine in my generator that cannot be matched to anybody elses.
I use Castrol's HD Dieselall-Plus(15W-40) for my diesels and Mobil-1 in 10w-30 for all the others.
Cleve....

Eric ELM
01-26-2001, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Runner
Pennzoil SAE 30, all the way.

Runner, if you are using a motor with hydraulic lifters, you need to use a multi grade oil. If not, your fine using straight 30.

Blue Grass Lawn Service, I used Penzoil in everything until I got my last Chopper. It is a diesel so I switched to Rotella T 15/40 and use it in both diesels now and even my 22 HP Kohler. Shell claims it is a year around oil, so I thought this winter would be a test, since I also am now using it in my JD 430 diesel. I have started it at below zero and it turned over fast enough to start with ease, so I guess it can be considered a season oil.

For the hydraulics on the DC, the older ones used Schaeffer Motor Oil, but I couldn't get that around here and my dealer recommended Mobil 1 15/50, but I think the Rotella T would work OK too. If you have a newer Chopper, they use a special blend for the VTC machines. If you don't have VTC, you can get a kit from the factory to make your machine a true VTC machine. You won't believe how smooth the hydros are after doing this. It is expected to double the life of the hydros too, so it is a good investment. After putting this in, you can take off the arms with the centering springs (steering dampners) on them and there is no resistace at all in the steering arms and did I mention SMOOTH. :)
I hope this helps.
Eric

bababooie
01-26-2001, 01:47 PM
i heard on one of those nightly news shows,that if the oil has that dime size circle seal on it, oil is oil.

Esby
01-26-2001, 01:51 PM
Mobil 1 Synthetic.

Mean Green Machine
01-26-2001, 02:37 PM
Does it really matter what kind of oil you use? is there oil that seems to work better for different kind of lawnmowers?

John DiMartino
01-26-2001, 02:54 PM
I use Shaeffers micron moly 10w30 or Sae 30,after break in.I used to run Mobil 1 or amsoil synthetic,until I seen them compared to shaeffers during a demo at my shop.The synthetics still have better high and low temp properties,but Shaeffers has them both beat hands down as far as lubricity and anti-scuff wear.If anyone is interested in any of their full range of products their # is 1-800-325-9962.They will come out and give you a demo.The salesmen in this area are all professionals and know oil inside and out.This isnt the oil to buy if your looking to save a buck today,its the oil to buy if you want to save money over the course of 5 yrs,and extend the life of your engine/hydro system.They have the best grease,and gear oil I've ever used,impervious to water and so goey it will stick to eveything,almost impossible to get off your clothes too. LOL.

[Edited by John DiMartino on 01-26-2001 at 03:00 PM]

mowerman90
01-26-2001, 02:58 PM
Zipp669

Read what Cleve says about the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act, it's true. The dealers tell you that you have to use their filter just so they can sell you a $2.50 filter for $8.00 - $10.00 . Just like they tell you that gator blades won't work with you mower, etc., etc. Who do you think makes the filters. Not Kohler, not Briggs, not Kawasaki, not Kubota. As for oil, read the manual that comes with the engine and use an oil that meets the specs laid out in the book. To find filters simply enter the manufactures part number into http://www.pureoil.com/catalog/xref.asp and you'll find the correct Purolator part number which you can then cross reference to any brand you like. It burns me up that dealers think we are so gullable and try to pull this crap on us all the time.

Mean Green Machine
01-26-2001, 03:01 PM
I agree. its that way with everything. look on the back of a suave bottle.

zipp669
01-26-2001, 04:20 PM
Guys I agree with your info & was just relaying what the kohler rep told me, or actually showed me, he had a wix & napa filter cut in half & side by side with a kohler filter & I have to admit the kohler was better, I used napa or wix filters & northland oil & also quaker state b4 I switched in aug 99 to all kohler.
I am not trying to sell kohler stuff cause i really dont care & would use the cheaper also or whatever is best. maybe I will go back to northland.
It also happens that I early order my parts & get a 20% dicount on every thing i get, & no they are not marked up prices. so i dont pay full price. Kohler oil where i am at costs $1.50 qt 20% off is $1.20..quaker state at wal mart is $1.19 qt & if you ever notice, because i did when they were out of cases 1 day, buying it in the case costs more @ $17.16/case. sorry to ramble & you guys pointed something out i wasnt aware of but this was what i was told
CONFUCIOUS SAY NEVER BELIEVE A KOHLER SALES REP
this was just my .02 cents worth thanks for the info

Cleve
01-26-2001, 07:04 PM
zipp669, Thanks for your last reply. I appreciate anyone who goes to the trouble to even take a look at what is inside a filter.
I've always thought Wix and Napa had some of the best filters. It is my understanding that Wix makes the Napa unit. Sometimes they get quite a premium for their filters too.
FRAM is the only filter I will never use. Used to buy them because they advertised so much and were so cheap. Found some info over on the Ford-Diesel web site that indicated the real "inside" info on them and even threw some in the trash.
Anyway, my reference to the Magnuson-Moss act was meant to be as information and not critical of your post. Most people have never heard of it. Might quote it next time you see the Kohler Rep.
And I don't blame you for purchasing theirs when you can get them at a reasonable price. I would do the same.
Cleve....

Bluegrass Lawn Service
01-26-2001, 07:30 PM
Hey thanks a lot I think I'll check out the prices on mobile one and see if I can save any money over the year. Not trying to be cheap or take less care of my equipment. I feel that changeing oil is cheap compare to the repares that can happen if you don't. Again the oil I use is $40.00 per case and I'm just trying to get that down a little. The auto parts store is offering a huge saveings on oil by the 55 gallen barrel.

bdemir
01-26-2001, 07:51 PM
I used mobil 15w50 in everythng last summer and it works great. I will continue using this stuff but i dont think the Mobil sythetic tranny fluid made such a difference in the 700 chevy tans. It is now in the tranny shop being rebuilt. i change them often and it is costly and now im thinking of going to castrol regular because changing them on regular change intervals with synthetic was too costly. I dont believe in the double mileage synthtic myth. I always changed everthing as much as possible. Now everthing runs good but all that money i paid for that fake oil. Lol

Bedros

zipp669
01-27-2001, 01:19 AM
CLEVE-didnt take it as critical, no harm no foul...thats what we are here for is to learn.

Mowin4cash
01-27-2001, 09:32 AM
I use Valvoline 10-30 in my gas powered truck. I use the cheap .74 cent Walmart Tech-3 oil in all my other air cooled gas engines. Yes even the oooohhhh "KOHLERS". I've never had any oil failures. I change it every 25 hours and comes out just as clean as it went in. Probably doesn't matter what brand, as long as you use the proper viscosity and change it often. Did I mention that I'm a tightwad?

Charles R. Laws
01-27-2001, 01:23 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, We just purchased a new Toro Z Master and it calls for Mobil 1 Synthetic in the Owners Manual - We use it in everything, Trucks, Cars, and all of our other mowers. Have not had any problems and after it has been used for 50 hours it still looks and feels good.

John DiMartino
01-27-2001, 01:39 PM
I buy at least 100 filters a season,all Wix,thru Napa.I get a master catalog and interchange every year from them,so i can write down the # in advance.If one of them fails,Napa has told me already,they will foot the bill for a factory new engine,and installation,without pro rating.So far,so good with all my engines.Of all the factory filters i have,Club cars look the cheapest,and have a thin housing,anre made in mexico,and the threads look like they never ran the tap all the way in,terrible,I wouldnt pay 1 dollar for that filter.

Redmowers
01-27-2001, 03:48 PM
Just bought some spare filters for my Generac generator at Home Depot ,clearance sale $4 or $5 bucks a piece.Well usually $7-$8 bucks each so why not for a factory filter seems like a good deal.So I pick up a few ,so when I get home I open the box to take a look at it.Well guess what I find in the Generac boxes is a NAPA filter!Well needless to say Now they have provided me with the # I will buy the next ones at NAPA directly.

leeslawncare
01-27-2001, 04:03 PM
I run castrol in everything i owne an....i only thought they made one kinda filter...FRAM...anyone know how to cross a kohler filter to a fram for my 16hp engine?

John DiMartino
01-27-2001, 04:18 PM
Give me your kohler #,I look in my master interchange catalog

Cleve
01-27-2001, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by leeslawncare
I run castrol in everything i owne an....i only thought they made one kinda filter...FRAM...anyone know how to cross a kohler filter to a fram for my 16hp engine?

I used to feel the same way until I visited the following web site. This fellow went to a lot of trouble to test oil filters from many mfgs.
I do know that I will never buy one again from FRAM.
Makes some interesting reading even though he seems to specialize in Mopar products. He even has an e-mail from a Fram engineer that has some confirming info in it.

http://members.nbci.com/minimopar/oilfilterstudy.html

Cleve....

LJ lawn
01-27-2001, 09:58 PM
i was lucky to get a few cases of MOBIL 1 SYNTHETIC AIRCRAFT OIL.specifically designed to run in air cooled engines. i also started to put in LUCAS oil stabilizer in all my equipment.

leeslawncare
01-27-2001, 11:07 PM
well. thanks for the site an i'll be sure to look into to in very deeply.I've got a nissan with 180k on it an from day 1 she has had only a fram under her hood an it runs like a top.been running 20w-50 since the first change .may be nutz.but i've gone by past performance.

Richard Martin
01-28-2001, 04:49 AM
leeslawncare wrote:

<b><i>i only thought they made one kinda filter...FRAM...</b></i>

Any Fram filter is the last filter I would put on any engine. I recently disassembled a Fram and an Airmax filter and the Airmax blows the Fram away.